SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage and HD

I am getting confused trying to figure out how SageTV handles HD, can it? I might be getting HD channels soon so I really would like to know.

If I do get HD channels in the near future and I only have a regular tv tuner in my PC, will I not be able to watch the HD channels at all, or will the tuner downscale the HD into regular resolution?

If I get a HD tv tuner card can I then watch all channels with Sage? Can sage also record those channels with HD content?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Sage Icon

There are basically three ways to get HD.

1. OTA -over the air, with an antenna. Go to www.antennaweb.org and you can see what OTA signals are available to you.

2. QAM - this refers to the encoding used by cable providers. This is received over cable and tuned with a QAM capable tuner. The tuner can be a cable STB (set top box), then aquired by Sage via svideo out, or firewire. There are also QAM stand alone tuners available.

3. Satillite - Tuned with STB and acquired by Sage via svideo out, firewire, or with a hacked STB directly.

Options 2 and 3 have issues where the HD streams can be encrypted and therefore not useable by Sage in a digital format like firewire. They would still be usable via svideo.

So to get help you need to specify which version of HD channels you are expecting to get.

Different tuners you can look at are the HDHomeRun (there is a thread on the forum). This will work for options 1 and 2. There are other HD tuners for OTA like the Avermedia A180 and VBOX Cat's Eye.

hope this helps a little,
Old 01-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, big help thanks! Just I am not sure if my case is in those options, I would be getting HD from FIOS (fiber optic) tv, offered by Verizon. That's neither cable provider or satellite but I am guessing works more like the cable would?

When you say stand alone QAM tuner, could that be a PCI computer card I can put in my HTPC? Or would I have ot rely on what a set top box provides to me? If I have to rely on a set top box, how would SageTV be able to show program guide and tune channels?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorius
Yes, big help thanks! Just I am not sure if my case is in those options, I would be getting HD from FIOS (fiber optic) tv, offered by Verizon. That's neither cable provider or satellite but I am guessing works more like the cable would?
Nope, it works nothing like either of the other to (beyond requiring a box to recieve).

Quote:
When you say stand alone QAM tuner, could that be a PCI computer card I can put in my HTPC?
Yes, but won't do you any good on FIOS, which uses IP not QAM to deliver content.

Quote:
Or would I have ot rely on what a set top box provides to me?
Yes

Quote:
If I have to rely on a set top box, how would SageTV be able to show program guide and tune channels?
It will download the program guide from the internet, and tune channels on the STB via an IR blaster (simulating the remote control).

You're not going to be able to record HD unless Nexcommwireless has an R5000 mod for your STB (which I doubt).
Old 01-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

On the FIOS issue, it's my understanding that FIOS uses IP to reach the premises, but then distributes it like a normal digital cable signal within the home. Does anybody have any direct experience with it?

Fyodor
Old 01-22-2007, 04:46 PM
SageTVaholic

I think that the way it works is... IP is used to deliver the channels you're watching, you get one STB capable of decoding several IP delivered channels, and outputting them on a couple RF channels into your house's cabling. Then you use RF remotes on different TVs (each tuned to a different RF channel, 3, 4, etc) to change the channel.

The problem is, unlike Cable TV, where you get all channels simultaneously, so a tuner can tune any of them at will, with IPTV you only get the channels you're watching, so you need to control a box to tell it what you want to watch.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:10 PM
SageTVaholic

I think it is a common misconception that Fios is IPTV. It is CATV over fiber. There is a requirement to use their router as the EPG is delivered via IP, but that is it. You can still get a basic package which doe not require a STB to operate. (Incidentally FIOS Telephone is not VoIP either)

OTH AT&T Universe is an IPTV product.

HIH

B
Old 01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
I think it is a common misconception that Fios is IPTV. It is CATV over fiber. There is a requirement to use their router as the EPG is delivered via IP, but that is it.
Interesting, that's impressive. ~127 channels * 36Mbps/chanel (QAM equivalent) >4Gbps to the house.