SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Sage User

Can not obtain ip address

I'm sure that this is one of the most commons questions, but...

I have a Belkin N1 wireless router and just received my MVP.

Can someone direct to the thread that will help get past the "can not obtain IP address" problem?

The network is recognized, the WEP hex code is correct and that is where I sit. When I hit apply, it needs an IP address.

Robert
Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Is there a DHCP server on your network where the MVP can get its address?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Sage User

Yes, it is set to on.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Sage User

Anybody ever fix this on their machines? Hauppauge in no longer responding, I have ask Sagetv for help and they will get back within 72 hours... Yet here I am with the shrink wrap freshly torn on my MVP, and the unit just collecting dust.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Sage Icon

Does it work wired? And wirelessly with the Hauppauge software?

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

You can also try turning off the DHCP server on the router and using TFTP:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...2/1115115411/1

The new beta provides for static IP addresses...

Also, make sure the hauppauge software is stopped, and our windows firewall is off. Also, trying running wireless w/o any encryption.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Sage User

Jack,

Yes, the MVP does function correctly wired. I have never installed the Hauppauge software as everything I have read in says not to install.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Sage User

mdnttoker, I will try TFTP in place of DHCP. Believe me I will try aything at this rate. I have done so much, with and without encryption, with and without firewall, assigning allowed access to the wireless mac, assigning ports, enabling ports pretty much everything I can think of.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmech737
Jack,

Yes, the MVP does function correctly wired. I have never installed the Hauppauge software as everything I have read in says not to install.
You may want to try installing it (hauppauge) just to try to narrow down whether its a Sage issue or a hardware issue.

You can always just start and stop the Sage and MediaMVP services in the Windows Services computer management window....

-Dan
Old 01-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Sage User

Well, I installed the hauppauge software... When installed, the program under the start menu gives you the option to start and stop the MVP. The program shows starting and stopping successfully but it is still unable to obtain an IP address.

With it unable to obtain an IP address in any manner, the MVP never lets you leave that startup window to move on. If it is hard wired in, you can move around after selecting the wired network.

I think I should be looking for a RMA real soon.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, I installed the hauppauge software... When installed, the program under the start menu gives you the option to start and stop the MVP. The program shows starting and stopping successfully but it is still unable to obtain an IP address.

With it unable to obtain an IP address in any manner, the MVP never lets you leave that startup window to move on. If it is hard wired in, you can move around after selecting the wired network.

I think I should be looking for a RMA real soon.
I would verify that your MVP is on the same subnet as the routoer that has the DHCP server enabled or double check your DHCP server before an RMA. Go to your first router on your network and hardwire the MVP to it, Verify your DHCP server is enabled. Remove all WEP settings. Put another PC or device and see if it gets an IP address.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Assuming you are configured you setup to get an IP from your wireless router, I would check the following. I sent out a message to find out what problems people had and although no one here responded, here is what some people had to do

- disable WEP shared key
- disable QoS or Wireless Multimedia Extentions WME for 802.11 (me)
- enable wireless-g only.

Martin.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:33 PM

connot obtian ip address

Hi,

I've just bought an mvp and have the same problem. One thing I have noticed is that you get the same message even with the incorrect WEP key so I think it's not really connecting at all (rather than it being a DHCP problem). I've tried without WEP, and have turned off all of the obvious things that might cause a problem on my wireless router (extended range, 'advanced 108Mbps features, g or b setting) but no luck. Airmech, I'd be interested to know which router you're using - I have a netgear WGT624 v3. Would also be interested to know if anyone else is using the 624 or other netgear successfully.

...rob
Old 01-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Sage User

My router is a new Belkin N1 Wireless F5D8231-4. This one runs in Pre-N and has auto sensing to downgrade the connection to the wireless unit as needed, i.e. to the N, g or B
Old 01-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
I would verify that your MVP is on the same subnet as the routoer that has the DHCP server enabled or double check your DHCP server before an RMA. Go to your first router on your network and hardwire the MVP to it, Verify your DHCP server is enabled. Remove all WEP settings. Put another PC or device and see if it gets an IP address.

Gerry
With the MVP hard wired, everything works well. The MAC is auto picked up and an IP address is assigned. Then connecting another computer, that too is recognized and assigned and IP address. Once I go wireless on the MVP, it will not get an IP address assigned (which will not let the MVP leave the wireless setting screen).
Old 01-28-2007, 03:55 PM
SageTVaholic

You should be able to go into your router and see all the devices that have received an IP address from your DHCP. If your MVP doesn't show up then you don't have an IP address. That's why the first step should be to disable all of your WEP and encryption and confirm your devide receives an IP address. If everything works and your router downgrades to the proper speed then your device should receive an IP address. And that's another reason to try wired first and verify it received an IP address. Start with the basics.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
With the MVP hard wired, everything works well. The MAC is auto picked up and an IP address is assigned. Then connecting another computer, that too is recognized and assigned and IP address. Once I go wireless on the MVP, it will not get an IP address assigned (which will not let the MVP leave the wireless setting screen).
So the issue is going wireless. Are you putting in the correct SSID when configuring the MVP? No spaces are allowed in the name. Is the correct channel chosen? Default channels for most devices are 6. You should always change it when setting up your device for the first time. Verify you have the correct channel chosen. Other than that make sure you're typing the correct digits for your key and don't mistake the number 0 for the letter O. Or the number 8 for the letter B.

Gerry
Old 01-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm a bit confused by some of the suggestions here. Does SageTV actually reflash the standard dongle.bin from Hauppauge that is stored in flash which does the initial configuration of the wireless card? With Hauppauge software the SSID is not entered, so they can't be hidden.

I guess the way to tell would be if you see this screen:

http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/wMVPStart.jpg

Martin
Old 01-28-2007, 07:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee
I'm a bit confused by some of the suggestions here. Does SageTV actually reflash the standard dongle.bin from Hauppauge that is stored in flash which does the initial configuration of the wireless card? With Hauppauge software the SSID is not entered, so they can't be hidden.

I guess the way to tell would be if you see this screen:

http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/wMVPStart.jpg

Martin
I'm not in possesion of a wireless MVP so I'm guessing with some of the suggestions here. But based on he can obtain an IP address with a wired connection it would appear that something is incorrect with his wireless configuration on the MVP. Are you saying that in the ROM (before the dongle.bin is loaded) there is no wireless configuration? Where would you enter a WEP key? Those settings would all have to occur BEFORE loading the dongle.bin. How could it load a dongle.bin over a network it can't get to?

Gerry
Old 01-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
I'm not in possesion of a wireless MVP so I'm guessing with some of the suggestions here. But based on he can obtain an IP address with a wired connection it would appear that something is incorrect with his wireless configuration on the MVP.
Getting an IP from the router is a good beginning and the suggestion to try without WEP is certainly where I would start. However the confusion came on explaining how to enter an SSID. It doesn't get entered, it is selected from the list of broadcasting access points. The three points I listed earlier are important, and auto negotiation is not the same thing as allowing only 802.11g.

The key thing is you should actually be able to get an IP (with the screen shot similar to the one I posted) before you even attempt to contact the SageTV server, to load (via TFTP) a newer dongle. That is the second part of a confusion in the replies.
Quote:
Are you saying that in the ROM (before the dongle.bin is loaded) there is no wireless configuration? Where would you enter a WEP key? Those settings would all have to occur BEFORE loading the dongle.bin. How could it load a dongle.bin over a network it can't get to?
Gerry
I'm saying that the newer model MediaMVPs wired and wireless first load a flash memory (not network) copy of dongle.bin, where two things happen, the wireless or wired network is configured (WEP key etc) and the preferred server is located. This information is stored in flash and then there is a negotiation process which determines whether a newer dongle is available on the server. The SageTV dongle is newer so it is transfered and runs. I'm not sure if SageTV does anything to flash to change this process.

Martin