SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:26 AM
Sage User

Also not obtaining an IP address

I am also having the same problem with not getting an IP address. I have a Belkin Pre-N Router. Initially, I couldn't enter alpha for the WEP key. So I changed the WEP key to all numeric. I have 4 computers connected to the network, and none of them have a problem getting an IP address. I'm stuck on this one, too.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Sage User

I am not sure if it is Network issue with Pre-n or N since all these routers are supposed to have auto sensing which would downgrade the connection to g or b as needed.

Last night, I removed my Belkin N1 Wireless router and reinstalled an old Dlink DI-624. After going through the process all over again, I actually got an IP address issued I guess because I was operating in only G. I went back to scan for the network and go a flicker on the screen then it went blank.

I restarted the MVP, then wouldn't get an IP address reset the router again and got an IP address. Then went the set up screeen and hit "go". After 5 times of seeing "contacting server.........." for over ten minutes, I gave up. Too many problems without a result.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Sage User

Some answers

After multiple calls to Belkin and Hauppauge, I found out from Hauppauge that the authentication type on the router setup has to be set to auto or open. The router setup for the Belkin Pre-N and N1 does not have this setting available. So I call Belkin to find out how to set this value. They told me that the port and port type accessed by the MediaMPV must be enabled in the router setup, but Hauppauge either doesn't know the port or the unit does not use a port. Hauppauge techs have ordered a Belkin router to do testing in hopes of resolving this problem. In the meantime, any suggestions or input from Sage techs would be appreciated. By the way, I think this setting exists on the D-Link router setup.

Last edited by judy2304; 01-29-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Sage Icon

Last weekend I tried to get some old wireless music player (802.11b) to work with my DGL and switched the router to compatibiility mode.

My wireless MVP would not connect anymore. To me this looks like the implementation of those *mixed* modes in my DGL is problematic which is hardly news.

Last edited by flavius; 01-29-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Sage User

Wireless 602.11b won't work with MediaMVP

From everything I've read, the MediaMVP will work only with 802.11g. The router must be set to 802.11g only.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Sage User

I got an IP address

I turned off WPA security on the router and finally got an IP address. A little later tonight, I will try getting the Sage server and see how far I get. It's possible that my problem was that in using WPA security, you enter a key in decimal form. The MediaMPV expects a hex value. After I get it working, I will try security again - this time entering a hex value that I now have for the key I was using. I will post the success or failure that I have.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Sage User

It's working!!!!!

I got it working. It's a bit jumpy, but that could be the signal strength. I still have to work on that. I'm using the Sage server.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:22 AM
Sage Icon

Yay!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:04 AM
Sage User

Quote:
It's possible that my problem was that in using WPA security
The maximum level of encryption for a wireless MediaMVP is 128-bit WEP. It won't work with a router that is set up to use WPA or WPA2 security.

Quote:
I got it working. It's a bit jumpy,
I had this problem too. In the end, I bought a Belkin Wireless-G Access Point, and hard-wired my wireless MVP to it (and changed the connection type to 'wired' in the MVP settings). This fixed the jumping and the unresponsiveness, and also meant that I could put my wireless security back up to WPA2-AES. Annoying, because I could have saved myself £30 and got the standard MediaMVP rather than the wireless version.

Steve.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Sage User

That was the next thing I planned to do, but I was thinking about getting the Netgear N draft to use as my router and use my Belkin Pre-N for the access point. I've been reading alot of good reviews on the Netgear WNR854T router.

Another thing I noticed is that some of the setting originally put into Sage disappear when it's running as the server. For example, it no longer shows any of the directories and it doesn't show EXETunerPlugin as a tuner option. When I try to put in a directory for recording, it shows a Network folder, but doesn't expand it to choose a directory. I tried to enter a directory name, but it doesn't accept it even though it acts like it did. Am I doing something wrong or do you not need to put in directories when the program is functioning as a server?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:25 PM

I have come to this forum as a result of trying to debug exactly this "can't get IP address" issue, although I am only using Hauppauge software and not Sage. However, the problem reported here looks very familiar!

I have reported my findings here but in brief, it looks as if the wMVP WEP implementation is incompatible with the one in my Netgear access point (and in some others, by all accounts) and this is at the heart of some of the problems that people are seeing.

Conclusion - changing the access point might not help if it is also one of the incompatible ones! My Netgear works with everything else wireless that I have thrown at it - except the wMVP.

Good luck,