SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage memory use

Sagetv seems to be using, in my opinion, excessive amounts of both physical and virtual memory. I have attached a pic of some of the perfmon data that I have collected to illustrate my concerns. The time frame of the perfmon data was from 8:30pm last night to this morning. Keep in mind that we were not watching tv. It may have been recording, I don't remember, but we always place Sage in standby mode when not watching. I usually run Sage in Service mode as well.

System specs:

Sage 6.0.19 release
Amd xp 3000 + CPU
1gb memory
VMR9
Nvidia Decoder /smart/pixel adaptive
nvidia 7950 GX2 vid card
300gb SATA drive / 64k clusters
150 mce tuner
500 mce tuner

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sage mem use.JPG (49.9 KB, 290 views)
Old 01-26-2007, 09:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Sagetv seems to be using, in my opinion, excessive amounts of both physical and virtual memory. I have attached a pic of some of the perfmon data that I have collected to illustrate my concerns. The time frame of the perfmon data was from 8:30pm last night to this morning. Keep in mind that we were not watching tv. It may have been recording, I don't remember, but we always place Sage in standby mode when not watching. I usually run Sage in Service mode as well.

System specs:

Sage 6.0.19 release
Amd xp 3000 + CPU
1gb memory
VMR9
Nvidia Decoder /smart/pixel adaptive
nvidia 7950 GX2 vid card
300gb SATA drive / 64k clusters
150 mce tuner
500 mce tuner

Any ideas?
So if I'm reading this correctly Sage memory use is just a shade over 200 MB and at the same time including the swap page file virtual use was around 470 MB. Usually your virtual will be twice the actual. Looks like an increase from around 9:25 pm to 10:30 pm which I would venture to guess was a recording with padding. I really don't see anything out of whack or anything to be too concerned of. The important spec you didn't include was what version of jave are you running? There was a know memory leak in versions around 1.5-5 (Java 5) which some people solved by using the included version of java or going all the way to java 6. But those symptoms would show increasing amount of memory used. Yours is a nice, flat graph indicating you don't have that issue.

Gerryu
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

It just seems excessive, espescially since for most of the night it wasn't doing anything. Why would it not release memory if it's not actively recording or playing back?

I will have to look again... Sagetv.exe uses 200mb of physical memory, also the sagetv service uses a considerable amount, together It's close (I believe) to 1/2 gig. I will pour back through my data to verify I have perfmon data of the sagetv service as well as the sagetv app.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage service has always used anywhere from 150-260 MB for me... It tends to grow in size if it runs for months at a time as well. It takes awhile until I see it actually reach up to 260MB.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Sage Icon

Sage 5 here on XP with the older Java seems very stable - no serious memory or handle leaks. Every week or two, I exit and restart it just for grins.
Nothing else runs on that PC.

Someday I'll have the nerve to move to version 6 at the risk of the good WAF.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Sage User

Unhappy Same Problem

All,

There is a serious memory leak on my system. Tried Java 1.6, 1.5V10, and 1.4 the latest. Currently with only sage running or sagetrancoding I am using over 4 gig of RAM! Yes, that is 4 gig of RAM! Unfortunately it doesn't show it being used by Sage, but as soon as I open it up the memory free goes straight down. This in running Windows XP 64 with 4 gig of RAM, 1.25 TB of hard disk, X1300 ATI video card, and this PC runs like a 386 now. Have a PVR150 and HD Homerun tuner also. Any assistance would be greatly appriecated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taskmgr.jpg (51.0 KB, 261 views)
Athlon 6400 X2+ dual core running Vista Business X64; 4 GIG DDR-II PC6400 RAM ; PCIe 256 MEG Nvidia 8600 video card; 2 x 500 GIG (RAID 0 @ 1 TB) + 500 GIG SATA2 hard drives; dual 22" wide screen LCD monitors;

HD Homerun tuner; Hauppauge PVR-980; GT Onair

SageTV 6.2(10)
Old 01-30-2007, 01:59 AM
SageTVaholic

That screenshot shows that you have 4GB of physical memory installed in your machine. It does not show 4GB in use. It shows 735MB committed (i.e. actually allocated to programs) and the rest being used by the OS for disk caching (which is fine; it's better than not using it at all).

Apart from these numbers, are you having some performance issues that lead you to suspect a memory leak?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Sage User

Yes. When I tried to use Sage TV, the screen locked up. I have it transcoding in the background and using about 50% of the CPU power. The machine then is unresponsive. Then I reboot and usually use about 400k of RAM for day to day usage. When I get about 20k left, then it really goes crazy. The 735 Meg should have been the page file (PF) usage if not mistaken and not RAM.
Athlon 6400 X2+ dual core running Vista Business X64; 4 GIG DDR-II PC6400 RAM ; PCIe 256 MEG Nvidia 8600 video card; 2 x 500 GIG (RAID 0 @ 1 TB) + 500 GIG SATA2 hard drives; dual 22" wide screen LCD monitors;

HD Homerun tuner; Hauppauge PVR-980; GT Onair

SageTV 6.2(10)
Old 01-30-2007, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeidnerJ
The 735 Meg should have been the page file (PF) usage if not mistaken and not RAM.
Applications don't allocate physical RAM directly; they allocate virtual memory, which is a chunk of page file that the OS can swap into physical memory as needed. The size of the page file therefore measures the amount of dynamically allocated memory in use. If you have a memory leak (i.e. memory that's allocated but never freed), that's where it will show up.

The remainder of physical memory is used by the OS for file I/O, so if you (for instance) transcode a big file, then that unallocated memory will fill up. But that disk-cache memory doesn't count as "in use" because the OS can reclaim it at any time.

If Sage is locking up on you, the best thing to do is to enable debug logging and find out what's going just before the lockup.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Sage Icon

maybe it's impractical to do transcoding and run SageTV at the same time on the same PC.

I tried it on my AMD 4200 dual core with superfast RAM: Works OK, but may not be a good idea.