SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Sage Expert

In search of HD quality playback

We've made a lot of progress in the last 6 months...I was looking for better picture quality 6 months ago and now that is very good...

So now, I am trying to figure out how to iron out the problems with HD.

I have a Anthlon 3200+ 1GB memory, SATA drives on Raid 0 and 6200TC video card. (I know a better video card will help)

I'm using the HDHR. It was very simple to set up and worked right away.

Problem seems to be with High CPU usage.

Now I have noticed that the CPU will run at about 40% with 1 HD program viewing. If its just recording, the cpu only runs at about 8 to 10%..2 recording HD's run about 15 to 20%...However, if I turn off watching a show and then bring it back on, about 50% of the time, the CPU usage while watching 1 HD show goes to 100% and obviously starts to stutter.

I noticed that sometimes this happened when comskip was running. So, I shut that off, but the cpu continued at 100% while viewing HD.

I shut everything off and rebooted...worked fine...viewing HD...quit watching and then turned it back on and the CPU goes to 100% again...

I look at processes and SageTV is using about 120MB...

I also noticed that when I use the MVP to watch HD, the CPU goes to 100%, which I expected because of the transcoding. But, when I stop the HD vieiwing on the MVP, the cpu stays at 100%...and I notice that the sagetranscoder.exe is still running. Thus, I can't watch HD through the main server.

Bottomline...the CPU seems to be going to 100% at odd times and staying there...sometimes I expect it...but others, I do not...

So, sometimes I can watch HD and sometimes just the sound comes through..and that's odd, because the HD is recording and I can watch the playback, later...

So, this is my new quest to figure this stuff out..

Any comments are very welcome...Thanks...

Gary Ellis