SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ripped DVD Playback Freezes

I'm using 6.0.18 with NVidea decoders for DVD playback. On at least one of my ripped DVD's, the playback freezes at the same point every time.

The DVD has been ripped to hard drive maintaining the DVD file structure, etc. Video files are unaltered VOB's.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? Any solutions? I'm finding Sage very frustrating to use for anything other than straight DVR stuff.

- Jeff
Old 01-28-2007, 08:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonnabend
I'm using 6.0.18 with NVidea decoders for DVD playback. On at least one of my ripped DVD's, the playback freezes at the same point every time.

The DVD has been ripped to hard drive maintaining the DVD file structure, etc. Video files are unaltered VOB's.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? Any solutions? I'm finding Sage very frustrating to use for anything other than straight DVR stuff.

- Jeff
Did you try playing that rip in another media player? Confirm you can play it in another player.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonnabend

- Jeff
Here is how you can debug this:

Does the DVD play in the DVD drive using Windows Media Player? Sage? If so then does the ripped DVD play from the HDD with Windows Media Player? Sage?

The first checks to see that the codecs are working. If it plays in WMP but not Sage then you have the dvd codecs setup incorrectly in Sage.

The second test sees if the rip was successful. If this fails, then you did not properly rip the DVD.

See the manual for how the DVD directory should look. Sage does not know the difference between playing the DVD from the HDD or the dvd drive. But if the content is protected it will play from the DVD drive, but no the HDD.

Hope this helps,
Old 01-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Sage User

Same problems...

I have about 500+ DVDs, ripped to my server. I have suffered sort of the same thing you are, yet I've been to busy (read: lazy) to try and solve this problem.

I've tried all the checks suggested:
- The DVD plays fine in WMP and in Sage.
- The ripped DVD plays fine in WMP, but in Sage I get freezing.

I have found that this "freezing" is only happening during a chapter change.
Basicly, the movie will freeze at the end of a chapter and I must use my remote to click "Next Chapter" (channel up on my remote) and the movie will continue perfectly right where it left off, at least until the next chapter break.

WMP changes chapters without problems, it is only in Sage that I've seen this happen.

Also, I will say that not every ripped DVD I have does this. Some will play just fine all the way through. My ripping methods have always been the same. I only use one program (who's name I can't write here, but is a very widely used program) and have always noticed this problem. I've just forced myself to "click the remote" when it happens. This is a pain, yet for some reason I've just always done it. It was always easier to click the button instead of digging into the system to find the fault and because I've never seen this problem on the forums before.

This is the only problem I've ever encountered that has kept the WAF from being 100%. Every time the wife is watching a DVD I get an ear-full each time her movie freezes.

Any help would be great.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

sudden dvd problem

I have about 20 dvds ripped to a local drive in my htpc and until now I haven't had any issues playing them back but now the 2 latest files I've ripped won't work. They play fine when I open them in intervideo winDVD6 but in sagetv one freezes after 15 minutes, the other after 30 seconds. I have tried every decoder but When it happens the CPU usage spikes to 100% and just hangs. If I crash sage and restart it it is back to normal but I can't play back these movies at all. Here is a debug log (I hope this is the right one, I wasn't sure...)

My system is an athlon 3000, 3GB RAM, GeForce 6600 & windows 2000

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

I attached the logs but they all had to be edited since they go on for thousands of lines. Here are the lines that keep repeating...

Mon 2/18 16:58:11.664 VF.submitJob(VFJob[DirectControl r=0.0 t=0 file=null ifn=null])
Mon 2/18 16:58:11.665 VF.submitJob(VFJob[DirectControl r=0.0 t=0 file=null ifn=null])
Mon 2/18 16:58:11.665 VF.submitJob(VFJob[DirectControl r=0.0 t=0 file=null ifn=null])
Mon 2/18 16:58:11.666 VF.submitJob(VFJob[DirectControl r=0.0 t=0 file=null ifn=null])
Mon 2/18 16:58:11.666 VF.submitJob(VFJob[DirectControl r=0.0 t=0 file=null ifn=null])
Mon 2/18 16:58:11.666 VF.submitJob(VFJob[DirectControl r=0.0 t=0 file=null

this goes on for thousands of lines and the only line that looks different are these:

Mon 2/18 16:58:35.732 EventThread-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI Hang Detected - hang time = 750
Mon 2/18 16:58:35.982 DX9Renderer NATIVE WARNING (non-FAILURE) line 1210 hr=0x88760868
Mon 2/18 16:58:35.982 DirectX9 device is lost. Rebuilding it....
Mon 2/18 16:58:35.982 Preparing the media player for a reload...
Mon 2/18 16:58:35.982 VF.submitJob(VFJob[ReloadPrepareMF r=0.0 t=0 file=null ifn=null])
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (669.8 KB, 255 views)
File Type: txt sagetv_1.txt (736.9 KB, 261 views)
File Type: txt sagetv_2.txt (231.1 KB, 276 views)
Old 02-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have been running Sage 6.3.5 for about two months so it is possible that this issue started there. But something recently has hosed my ability to play DVDs in Sage. And it definitely seems to be Sage and not anything else. It started with a freeze up when playing a disc. I ripped the movie to the hard drive and it froze up in exactly the same place so I know it is not the DVD drive. Then the same thing happened with a second movie. Both play just fine in intervideo PowerDVD 6 but not Sage using the intervideo decoders. I know there has been some issue with 6.3.5 hijacking decoders so I unregistered stvm2vd.ax and then upgraded to RC 6.3.9 hoping the problem had been fixed but nothing seems to have changed.

I put the details and the debug log <above>

Any help would be much appreciated.

* merged *

Last edited by LaoChe; 02-23-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've had similar freezes on ripped DVD's. I simply re-rip and that resolves the issue for me. I don't recall ever getting one that I flat out couldn't get to work.
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 02-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

still no good

Thanks. I tried reripping one of the videos and it still freezes in the same place. But since it happens in the same spot with the DVD as well I suspect my problem is something else.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Oh yeah, another thing that worked for me on some disks is to T-Cut any large scratches out of the DVD, then polish out the remaining swirls with Brasso (Brass cleaning wadding).

This tends to be the problem with older DVD's rather than the ripping software.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Problem seems to be Sage, not the disc

I appreciate the help but one is a brand new disc (literally has never been in a dvd drive except for the 2 times I ripped it). Also, both the disc and the ripped version play fine in the intervideo player, just not in Sage.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

I found that all of mine would play fine in VLC player and intervideo too. Sage just seems to be a bit more sensitive to whatever the problem is.

Last edited by John@TunerUK; 02-25-2008 at 02:47 AM.