SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Sage User

Differences between SageTV Placeshifter and SageTV Client

I have SageTV ver 4 but I have been away from the forums for a while and was recently looking at building a new SageTV system (Separate Server and Client). I was thinking of an all Linux system or possibly a Linux server with a Windows Client. I have looked at the different options on the website and have searched the forums. I can’t figure out the difference between a SageTV Placeshifter (which is available to Linux) and the SageTV Client (Windows only) other than the operating systems that they run on. What are the differences between the Placeshifter and Client? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

-Grant
Old 01-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Administrator

A couple previous discussions about Placeshifter & Client differences can be found here and here... with links to even older topics in that second link.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Sage User

A question about licensing

Hello,

I've been trying out SageTV 6.0 and I'm very pleased with the functionality. I really like the Client and the Placeshifter part.

What exactly is the difference between the client and the placeshifter? As far as I can see, both allow me to view content/live TV remotely over a network. Is the client restricted to viewing over a LAN while the placeshifter works over LAN/Internet ? It appears to me that the placeshifter can do pretty much the same things as the client .... so then what is the point of the client?

Also, If I purchase the SageTV mediacenter 6.0 with the placeshifter, does that only include one license for the placeshifter? I would really like to be able to install the placeshifter on "any" computer I use away from home (laptop, desktop at work, other desktop at work etc.) Does that mean I'll need multiple placeshifter licenses?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagur
What exactly is the difference between the client and the placeshifter?
Please see the links above (I merged your question with this one).

Quote:
Also, If I purchase the SageTV mediacenter 6.0 with the placeshifter, does that only include one license for the placeshifter? I would really like to be able to install the placeshifter on "any" computer I use away from home (laptop, desktop at work, other desktop at work etc.) Does that mean I'll need multiple placeshifter licenses?
The Placeshifter license is registered on the server. You can then install the Placeshifter client on multiple systems. After that, you can simultaneously connect as many PS clients as there are registered PS licenses -- one license: only one PS client can connect at a time; 2 licenses, 2 clients; and so on.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagur
Hello,

I've been trying out SageTV 6.0 and I'm very pleased with the functionality. I really like the Client and the Placeshifter part.

What exactly is the difference between the client and the placeshifter? As far as I can see, both allow me to view content/live TV remotely over a network. Is the client restricted to viewing over a LAN while the placeshifter works over LAN/Internet ? It appears to me that the placeshifter can do pretty much the same things as the client .... so then what is the point of the client?:
Yes, both the placeshifter and the client both let you view TV over a network. The normal client is designed as a full-featured client, but for usage only on the LAN. The client is better intergrated with remotes, nad you can use different decoders for maximum adjustabilty. The placeshifter is designed as a "thin" client that can watch over the internet. It isn't designed to replace the client for normal usage. It doesn't have the abiltiy to use different decoders. And supported remote control usage is limited/non-existant.

Quote:
Yes, it only includes one placeshifter license. However, that is another feature of the placeshifter that I forgot to mention. The placeshifter license is a "floating" license. That means you could have a placeshifter client installed on all your computers, but a license is only in use when logged in. So, one license per active user. Whereas the normal Client is one license per installation. Whether in use or not.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Sage User

Thanks guys, that's what a needed to know and wanted to hear!

I think there's nothing keeping me from purchasing this software then
Old 02-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

One other minor distinction... the client can playback DVDs from the local DVD drive while the placeshifter can not.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Administrator

I've added a FAQ entry comparing the Client and Placeshifter, hopefully covering most of the differences already mentioned in all those old threads on this topic.

If someone thinks I missed somethimg important, please let me know.

- Andy
Old 02-08-2007, 01:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Might also want to mention that Client executes Java plugins locally, whereas Placeshifter runs them on the server.