SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Sage User

Watching HTML pages in sage ?

Does anyone know of a way to view HTML/XHTML pages in Sage ?

The reason i ask, is that I would love to be able to read news while in Sage, without having to leave sage. Ie. music and tv would still play in the background.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Can't you just bring a web browser up in another window, without closing the SageTV window? Or am I missing something?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just switch to window mode, resize to 320x240, then run Firefox and resize accordingly. Works great.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Sage User

i too think it would be nice to have an embedded web viewer (i'm sure they could do something with just embedding an IE or a Firefox window)..

eg..

being able to websurf from within sage
without starting another app or sage losing the focus..
Old 02-04-2007, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Embedding IE is possible, there is even a studio thread which covers it. it just does not work at all well.

It also will not work in Full Screen Exclusive mode (which requires everything to be rendered in DirectX).
Old 02-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

What would be the advantage of running a web browser within Sage, vs. just running it as a separate program?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Maybe what's really being asked here is how to surf the web without putting down the remote and grabbing a keyboard. I don't use Girder myself, but my impression is that's exactly the kind of task Girder is meant for. Shifting focus away from Sage shouldn't be an issue so long as you can shift it back again when you want to. Seems to me that setting up this sort of task-switching via remote is probably easier than trying to embed a browser in Sage.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:52 AM
SageTVaholic

While it is possible to embed a IE window in a java app, and technically possible in Sage (see this Studio thread for an example, it does not work well at all in Sage because:
  • there is no way of transferring focus to/from the IE window except for using the mouse
  • There is no way of passing IR remote commands captured by Sage to the IE instance
  • It will not work at in Full Screen Exclusive VMR9 (where everything has to use DirectX)
So it is no better than running IE in a separate window.

I am creating a plugin that gives a plain text representation of a web page (for use with the RSS news reader), but you will not be able to browse with it.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

As a man who still doesn't own an HDTV i shiver at the thought of trying to read HTML text .

That and shiver worse at the thought of having IE even execute on my sage server.

Your best bet (since i bet you have a keyboard hooked up to your sage box) is to use the external program plugin Sage will lose focus, but media and music should continue to play in the background. (Can this be confirmed?)

I mostly used it for NES emulators and the such.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.

Last edited by FidgetyRat; 02-05-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yeah it would be nice to have a browser plugin like this or this.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan111
Yeah it would be nice to have a browser plugin like this or this.
Yes- The Meedio one was actually quite usable with a remote and the automatic font size increase actually made it quite readable.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
Your best bet (since i bet you have a keyboard hooked up to your sage box) is to use the external program plugin Sage will lose focus, but media and music should continue to play in the background. (Can this be confirmed?)
Right now, i've got it set up like this;

I've created a link to Opera.exe in my menu. It will shift from Sage to Opera, and then change back, when i close Opera.

I'm surfing a xhtml page designed for mobile phones, using a custom css and a customized irremote, so i can use the remote. (Opera has great keyboard controls)
The music and tv stops however, when i change programs.

What i miss is my Teletex, which we still use here in Europe. Whats great about it, is that you can read news, sports results, stocks, weather etc. on top of your tv picture. So i'm trying to get it back.