SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Exclamation MVP Connection issues

I thought I would post here to see if anyone else is experiencing this as well. About every two days I have to restart the SageTV services in order for my MVPs to connect. When I peruse the SageTV logs, I see nothing in there about the failed connection attempts. Power cycling the MVP does not help either. I think this started happening when I switched to serial controlled DirecTV boxes, but I can't be certain.

Client PCs are able to connect just fine. Will follow this up with a post to Sage support as well.

B

Particualrs:

Win Server 2K3
Java 1.6
2.75GB RAM
2.8Ghz HT P4
2 PVR-500
1 Fusion 5 Lite
1 Fusion 5 Gold RT
4 DirecTV receivers D11-100 using PatersonTech cables
Connected to SVideo inputs on PVR-500s
Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Interesting...I see the same thing...but thought it was just Sage V6 issue..

I have also noticed a spike in the Server CPU usage...this correlates well with the MVP connection issue...rather thats what prompts me to go check the server....

I assumed it was the Sage V6.....and whined about it here...I assumed it was the V6 since it has been resource intensive and frustratingly sluggish since I installed the beta versions.

I do have some problems connecting with a regular PC client too at these times...once it connects (after a long long wait...sometimes it gets through)...it shows choppy video and endless wait on the UI/menu options...

All this is for SD videos only (so no transcoding involved), no sagetv service running, only 1 client watching- with nothing being done on the server except recording and comskip. The SageTV.exe shows up as using 70%+ of the CPU....A restart of the SageTV program helps things return to normal....but then the whole thing comes back in a couple of days..

do you see a similar trend? BTW- I run a XP2100+ with 512RAM.....(just bit the bullet and bought some more RAM to help Sage in its icon spinning )

Also, I see this after I got DirectTV (and the associated plugins)...but I also went from the latest beta to the full 6.0.19 official release around the same time....so finding it difficult to point a finger at the cause of this problem....

Any help is welcome
Old 06-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Sage User

Hi All,

I don't know if you guys got this issue fixed, just wanted to say that I stumbled on a similar problem today with a new MVP I got from eBay....and seem to have fixed it.

When I booted the MVP it would show some noise and the bottom of the screen, then showed the SageTV logo, and then seemed to get stuck in a loop, flashing the logo on and off. The log files and a network trace didn't show any problems (to me).

At the time I was was dishing out IP addresses via Windows 2003 DHCP server. I switched that off and turned on the DHCP server on my WRT54G router (with the exact same DHCP lease details)....and it worked !!!

I can't figure out why though.

Anyway, after months of fighting a PVR350 for reliable quality output, I have to say that the MVP rocks, looks great !

Hope you get your fixed

cheers
Old 06-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Sage Icon

IIRC ever since I moved to 6.1.9 I have been experiencing some trouble with my MVP's, sometimes with my placeshifter as well: the client would either not connect or hang after a while.

The remedy is to kill all transcoder processes on the server which typically addresses the problem. I haven't reportet that yet.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
IIRC ever since I moved to 6.1.9 I have been experiencing some trouble with my MVP's, sometimes with my placeshifter as well: the client would either not connect or hang after a while.

The remedy is to kill all transcoder processes on the server which typically addresses the problem. I haven't reportet that yet.
Killing the transcoders might mean the latency to respond to the tftp requests is reduced. From all the talk here, it sounds like the MVPs have a too-short timeout on DHCP and/or TFTP packet transfers. Just guessing. I wonder if somehow making the transcoders run at a lower process priority would help? Also, the transcoder might use a lot of memory and cause a disk swap-out of code/data related to the MVP startup, and that has to be read-in from disk, adding more latency. Adding more memory might help, or not- the transcoder might just use up that added memory.