SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelofDeth View Post
I think the reason most never run into this problem, is most probably just leave their MVP powered on all the time. You are not actually shutting it off anyway, and the power savings is probably minimal. It seems a soft power just shuts the video output off. You can still telnet into the unit even if its "off". I think until Sage actually fixes it, not turning it off is a better solution than restarting the service every day, but thats just me. I never power mine off.
I turn my MVP off all the time. Don't like the light in the dark bedroom. But I can't send logs because I very seldom have a connection problem with my MVP. I can't remember the last time it wouldn't connect. I have two Version 1.0 modules so maybe that is the difference and Linksys switches and router and WinXP Pro.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 03-20-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Interesting.. When I did my test and was able to reproduce the issue, it was on my 3rd MVP which is a new one. I'll have to try to reproduce it on both tonight. But before American Idol, otherwise I am dead meat.

B
Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
I turn my MVP off all the time. Don't like the light in the dark bedroom. But I can't send logs because I very seldom have a connection problem with my MVP. I can't remember the last time it wouldn't connect. I have two Version 1.0 modules so maybe that is the difference and Linksys switches and router and WinXP Pro.
Bob, please see if you can power the MVP off and then back on 10 or more times.

If you get past 10, please keep doing this and see if you notice a slow down in the MVP powering up each time you turn it off and back on again.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
Bob, please see if you can power the MVP off and then back on 10 or more times.

If you get past 10, please keep doing this and see if you notice a slow down in the MVP powering up each time you turn it off and back on again.
One of the MVP's is in the bedroom as "The" tuner and TV is watched every night. It has gone a month or more turning it on and off (the soft off by the way not unplugging it - just so we are clear) without having problems. Turning it on and off quickly 10 times in a row I could see being a problem but I will test it tonight.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

OK two results:
  1. When I turn it on and off repeatedly without playing anything it locked up at the count of 9. I.E. it worked just fine for 8 times just turning it on and off but the ninth time it wouldn't connect.
  2. When I turn it on and off and play a video when it is on it will connect more than 15 times with no difference in boot times or responsiveness.
BobP.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Interesting.

Thanks Bob.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Sage User

I was finally able to do some testing and sent the logs to sage.

My observation seems to be a bit different from the rest of you. In my case, if I connect with wired connection, it works fine any number of times, but with wireless, it freezes at some point in the startup process from the first attempt. Initially it freezes after the Loading Application screen, with the noise at bottom. After a reset, it starts freezing on the first screen where it has a MediaMVP logo and the 5 progress bars - it gets stuck on the 4th bar. Any number of resets get stuck on the same spot. Only if I keep the wMVP disonnected from power for a long time (overnight) does it go past the first screen.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Sage User

The SageTV Media Center is Booting Up. Please wait.

Whenever I have had this problem, I power off all my wi-fi network gear to clear their memories, and power them all back on. My MVP connects through a wireless bridge, and I always assumed it was networking issue, and not a SageTV bug, because I couldn't reproduce the problem with a wired connection. I suspected it was a bootp issue related to dhcp and mac addresses.

Anyone have some insights?

P.S. Here are some clues to MVP booting:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post5141823