SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Sage Fanatic

The SageTV Media Center is Booting Up. Please wait.

...and wait....
...and wait....
...and wait....

Anyone else getting this? The MVP get's the IP correct, SageTV is able to recognize the MVP, and the MVP receives SageTV green screen where it says:

The SageTV Media Center is Booing up. Please wait.

And it just stays there forever. I have 2 MVP's and it happens on both. If I shutdown SageTV server and bring it up again, then the MVP's complete the SageTV boot.

Any way to fix this?

I have SageTV 6.0.19.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, I posted the same issue.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23295
Old 02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
What version of SageTV do you have?

This started happening for me after going to V6 (6.0.19).

What I don't understand is why does it see the MVP, send the green SageTV screen and then just forget about the MVP?

I would make sense if it never saw it, but it's like it just forgets mid way...
Old 02-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had the same problem, drove me crazy. After many months of happy use, the MVP wouldn't get past the booting screen. argh. Sage tech support suggested saving away my wiz.bin and properties files, uninstalling Sage, deleting the directory, and doing a cold install.

Surprise! It worked. I copied back my wiz and property files and all was well with the world again. So, some file became corrupted that a re-install wouldn't correct.

It can't hurt to try. Good luck!
--John
Old 02-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks, I will try that! This thing is making the WAF to an all time low so I need to try something.

Quick question for anyone who knows: I have Neilm's Custom Menus and Web server, what do I need to save to preserv the custom menus and web stuff?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

I post this alot since this thread appears alot. Before even uninstalling or removing anything, just restart the sage service (if in service mode).

Works for me every time.

I noticed its generally caused by some interruption in the connection between the 2. The sage server seems to think the MVP is still connected and doesn't seem to send the proper packets. Most of the time this happens for me during a network or power failure.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
I post this alot since this thread appears alot. Before even uninstalling or removing anything, just restart the sage service (if in service mode).

Works for me every time.
I am at the point where I have to re-start SageTV every other day to make this problem go away.

Yes, restarting SageTV fixes the problem but it's TEMPORARY. After 1 or 2 days, the MediaMVP's wont go pass the "SageTV Media Center is Booting Up" screen.

Last edited by joe123; 02-11-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123
I am at the point where I have to re-start SageTV every other day to make this problem go away.

Yes, restarting SageTV fixes the problem but it's TEMPORARY. After 1 or 2 days, the MediaMVP's wont go pass the "SageTV Media Center is Booting Up" screen.

What router are you using?

I had this problem with my WRT54GL running default firmware, but once I loaded DD-WRT custom firmware, the problem went away.

Annoying as hell, I agree. It'll be nice to have another option beyond these flaky MVP designs...
Old 02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker
What router are you using?

I had this problem with my WRT54GL running default firmware, but once I loaded DD-WRT custom firmware, the problem went away.

Annoying as hell, I agree. It'll be nice to have another option beyond these flaky MVP designs...
I have a Netgear RangeMax 4 port. PVR and 2 MVP's all connected to it - everything is hard-wired.

This morning, I removed SageTV completely, removed Directory too C:\Program Files\SageTV

Re-installed evertying, restored the 2 primary files, re-import all stvs, lots of work and all was well for about 8 hours. Then the problem came back

What bugs me is that the MVP's get their IP, they begin the boot process and then, SageTV just forgets about them. There has to be an easier solution.

If I stop and re-start SageTV, then the MVP's boot up just fine. I cannot being this daily PLUS if there are shows recording, I cannot stop and restart Sage - so it's a real pain.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

There's actually two MAC addresses the MVP uses with Sage. One booting up, and another once Sage tries to load.

Try going to the command line from windows and typing "arp -a"

See what MAC's show up, and try making sure both are in your router's static IP stash (both the MAC on the MVP device, and the one that shows up on the arp -a command once Sage is running)...
Old 02-12-2007, 10:23 AM
SageTVaholic

There is no doubt the MVP's are "odd" when it comes to networking. Here are some of my observations and suggestions with this issue:

- If you are running Sage as a service, don't. For some reason this problem occurs more often when Sage is running as a service.

- If your server's CPU is very busy while trying to connect this problem is more apt to happen. Make sure you have plenty of CPU power to spare during the MVP boot-up.

- Sometimes going to the MVP setup utility (unplug and then hit "OK" when prompted) and changing to wireless connection (yes, I know you are not using that), make sure WAP encryption is all off, SAVE the configuration, change back to wired connection, SAVE that, and then "Go". Don't ask me why this works but when I get this problem (which is not very often these days) it helps. On my system if I am looking at the wired connection config screen and the WEP encryption stuff shows enabled, it will not boot.

- I've never had to delete the clients folder to recover from this problem but this seems to work for some people as already indicated.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker
There's actually two MAC addresses the MVP uses with Sage. One booting up, and another once Sage tries to load.

Try going to the command line from windows and typing "arp -a"

See what MAC's show up, and try making sure both are in your router's static IP stash (both the MAC on the MVP device, and the one that shows up on the arp -a command once Sage is running)...
This is like a bad nighmare.

I have my Netgear setup with specific private ips (10.0.51, 10.0.0.52) for each of my MVPs.

The MVP's boot up just fine and they get their SageTV Media Center is booting up" screen. These are the only IP's I see when I run arp -a (minus my main PC).

So,
1) I don't see any other IP's.
2) Even if I did, are you telling me to setup both MAC addresses to the same IP?

Here is why your sugestion does not make any sense to me. My MVP's work just fine for about 8 hours after starting SageTV, then my MVP's will NOT get passed that screen after around 8 hours. If I stop and restart SageTV, then all is back to normal.

I would understand what you are saying about IP's *IF* the problem was always the same as in it never get's pass that screen or it never gets an ip address.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda
There is no doubt the MVP's are "odd" when it comes to networking. Here are some of my observations and suggestions with this issue:

- If you are running Sage as a service, don't. For some reason this problem occurs more often when Sage is running as a service.

- If your server's CPU is very busy while trying to connect this problem is more apt to happen. Make sure you have plenty of CPU power to spare during the MVP boot-up.
1) How do I turn Sage service off?

2) My CPU can be almost idle (2-3% CPU usage) with same results.

Last edited by joe123; 02-12-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm also getting this problem and I submitted a detailed bug report to Sage a couple of weeks ago. So far I've not received a response but perhaps they're working on it.....

As someone else mentioned there appear to be implications to network communication, although I can't tell whether it's a symptom or a cause. I sniffed the packets on the wire and sent a working and non-working .PCAP file to Sage along with some other diagnostics (trace files and so-on).

I'm glad I'm not the only one - this is driving my wife nuts!

Andy.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
I'm glad I'm not the only one - this is driving my wife nuts!

Andy.
This is Horrifically BAD

Last night, my wife had a 2 hour show recording followed by another 2 hour recording of my daughter.

Both MVP's would NOT get passed that SageTV MediaMVP is booting up screen and I could not stop and restart Sage for over 4 hours because of the recordings in progress.

Not only is this driving my wife NUTS, but now my daughter is following as well.

Obviously, none of us know what the problem is, but what really bothers me is that this sure looks like a SageTV problem and not a router/PC problem. I say this because all is well at first (everything works as many have stated here) but later on (1 day later) the MVP's wont get past that SageTV MVP is booting up screen.

If the MVP's did NOT get the orignal "SageTV MVP is booting up" screen, then I would agree that the problem was probably more likely a non SageTV problem.

But the MVP's DO make a connection to SageTV because they get their "SageTV MVP is booting up" screen data, but then nothing else happens.

The MVP's get:
1) Their IP address assigned correctly
2) SageTV connection is made (SageTV boot up screen on MVP)
3) *** DEAD AFTER THIS POINT ****

If this is NOT a SageTV problem but a hardware/router problem, can someone please post a resonable and LOGICAL answer as for WHY it works at first and not later on AND why it makes it to steps 1 and 2, but not 3 and on?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Does everyone put their MVPs into standby before they experience this? That is the issue I face. Weird part is that there isn't an error in the log.

B
Old 02-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Does everyone put their MVPs into standby before they experience this? That is the issue I face. Weird part is that there isn't an error in the log.

B
For me, when we are done watching a show on the MVP's, we turn them off - hit the remote power off and the MVP red light goes out. When we hit the "power on" button on the MVP remote, I get the "SageTV booting up screen". On the times when the MVP does not continue pass the "SageTV is booting up" screen, I power cycle the MVP's but get the same problem.

I am not sure when this problem started, but it was not like this before. It ~may~ have started after going to SageTV V6, but I cannot say for sure as the problem gradually surfaced.

Last edited by joe123; 02-13-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Could one of you having this problem perform the following test:

1) Stop SageTV, SageTV Service.
2) Unplug the MVP(s).
3) Start SageTV.
4) Plug in the MVPs.

Now, after the MVP's boot all the way into SageTV (pass the SageTV Media is booting up" screen, do this:

On the MVP remote, power the MVP off, wait a couple of seconds, then power the MVP back on. See if you can repeat this 10 or more times?

I am able to power the MVP off and back on but no more than 10 times before I get the "SageTV Media center is booting up" screen lockup and it will not go any further. It almost seems like a set number of on/off's that the MVP's can do before SageTV forgets about them.

I was able to repeat this over and over, same results always.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Very interesting.. 10 times total or per unit? I am running 3 units and make sure they all go off at night. Which might explain why it takes 2 to 3 nights per lockup if it is 10 total. I wonder if place shifting figures in too.

B
Old 02-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Very interesting.. 10 times total or per unit? I am running 3 units and make sure they all go off at night. Which might explain why it takes 2 to 3 nights per lockup if it is 10 total. I wonder if place shifting figures in too.

B
I should clarify that it's around 10 times. Sometimes I get 7 or 8 times before the symptons appear, but I could not get it to go over 10 on/off per unit. Actually, when one MVP starting acting up, the other had the same problem.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't have placeshifter, only the MVPs.