SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Sage User

converting SageTV Recording to DVD

I'd like to create a DVD from one of my SageTV recordings.

I have a program that when recorded resulted in 9 separate files:

ProgramName-299638-0.mgp
ProgramName-299638-1.ts
ProgramName-299638-2.ts
ProgramName-299638-3.ts
ProgramName-299638-4.ts
ProgramName-299638-5.ts
ProgramName-299638-6.ts
ProgramName-299638-7.ts
ProgramName-299638-8.ts

I've tried opening these files with a multitrack video editor, so I can prepare them for my DVD authoring software.

Only the first 2 files on the list seem to have an audio track. However, when I play them with SageTV, the audio is fine.

I then decided to experiment a little. First, I copied all of these files to a backup directory in case I totally messed things up.

Then, using SageTV I tried converting the original recording into the DVD format with 'Standard Play'. I did not check 'Replace Original Recording'. (btw, what is the difference between these quality settings - standard, long play, and extra long play?)

These files converted to:

ProgramName-299638-0.tmp
ProgramName-299638-1.mpg
ProgramName-299638-2.mpg
ProgramName-299638-3.mpg
ProgramName-299638-4.mpg
ProgramName-299638-5.mpg
ProgramName-299638-6.mpg
ProgramName-299638-7.mpg
ProgramName-299638-8.mpg

I'm not sure what happened here, but for some reason the conversion of the first file did not work. Instead I have what appears to be a useless '.tmp' file. So now the program starts with the '1.mpg' file, which is 10 minutes into the program. I also noticed that the original recording was overwritten. And when I try to play the program from SageTV Recordings, it does not start at the beginning and instead will start about 10 minutes in.

I tried playing the converted file and it does the same thing.

I still have the original files in the backup folder, but I don't know how to bring them back into SageTV to try the conversion again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Find evilpenguin's DVD burning plugin. That's all you'll need.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 PM
SageTVaholic

If i'm correct in assuming that you want to combine all of these videos into one and then burn it onto DVD then, unfortunately, my plug-in can't help you.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 02-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin
If i'm correct in assuming that you want to combine all of these videos into one and then burn it onto DVD then, unfortunately, my plug-in can't help you.
Will your plugin let me create a DVD with each file treated as a different chapter?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Sage User

BTW, I tried changing the 'tmp' extension to 'mpg' and it worked, so now ProgramName-299638-0.mpg is the 1st 10 minutes that I was missing.

I still don't understand why the convert utility didn't do this in the first place. I also thought by not checking 'Replace Original Recording' that it would retain the original files for me, but it didn't, they were gone after the conversion was finished.

Also - is 'Standard Play' higher quality than 'Long' or 'Extra Long'? I assume it is, because long implies a lower bitrate so more data can fit in the space and allow it to play longer... Am I right? Usually when you see a list of options. The best is at the top. And since this is a list of 'Quality' options, you should have the highest quality at the top of the list. It's more intuitive...
Old 02-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggP
Will your plugin let me create a DVD with each file treated as a different chapter?
If I recall correctly, yes. You select the shows and add them to the processing queue. This is excellent for consolidating multiple "episodes" onto one DVD.

This is an EXCELLENT addition to SageTV. My only complaint is that it really hammers my system's resources. It would be really nice to be able to have some sort of "throttling" capability (like you can with DirMon2+ShowAnalyzer.)

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.

Last edited by jbarr; 02-08-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Sage User

I must be missing something. I followed all of the installation instructions and now have the option of burning DVDs from SageTV. I've also installed DirMon2 and ImgBurn, etc., per the instructions.

But... Are there any step by step instructions with getting it to work? I assume you select a recorded file, pick Burn to Video DVD and choose Single-Video or Multi-Video DVD, then what?

I tried picking Single-Video and the dialog just closes. If I pick Multi-Video it shows 1 Video in the list...

Then what are you suppose to do???
Old 02-09-2007, 12:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I could have sword I wrote up a usage, but apparently I didn't. No wonder people are having such trouble using the plug-in. Oh well, i'll write one up this weekend.

edit: Ok, check the first post again in the SageTV DVD Burning STVi. I've updated it with the usage info.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)

Last edited by evilpenguin; 02-09-2007 at 12:24 PM.