SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Sage User

Will SageTV v5 work with Vista (continuing problems)

Hi all,

I bought SageTV v4 awhile back when I was on XP, long before Vista was out. Now that Vista has come out, I have migrated to the x86 (32-bit) version, but am encountering a LOT of problems with it. I installed the Java Runtime Environment v6 for Vista, then SageTV v5.0.4, which accepted my v4 key. However, I have had a multitude of issues...

1) Initially, it was only giving audio/video from one of my two ATI TV Wonder 550 PCI tuners, and video only from the second. A reinstall of SageTV fixed that.

2) My favorites keep disappearing wholesale from the Favorites list, and some recordings are being automatically deleted despite plenty of room that I haven't even touched yet.

3) Some recordings won't play at all, and just have a -0:00:00 duration. Sometimes, it then complains that my Aero Glass "color scheme" isn't compatible with SageTV, and that it has been reverted to a compatible one (and sometimes works, sometimes doesn't).

4) Some recordings have about 5 minutes where there is NO audio from the very start, then play normally with synchronized audio/video.

5) Sometimes, SageTV is taking up 50% CPU usage randomly (I have a dual-core Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU, which means it is using one full core at random for no apparrent reason).

6) I can't start the SageTV service unless the SageTV Media Center program (the viewing/interface one) is closed. Therefore, I have to set it to service mode, and manually start SageTV when I want to actually watch anything after a reboot. Trying to start SageTV's service mode will cause an "Error 1053" which says that the service didn't respond in a "timely fashion". This is an inconvenience, but nothing major that I couldn't live with.

I have read that version 6 is fully compatible with Vista, but I don't want to be forced to pay the upgrade fee of $40 just to have it work with my new OS, when I don't want or need things like HD recording and whatnot. The older versions worked 100% to my satisfaction and more under XP, but on Vista, I'm having nothing but trouble with it. Since I bought Vista and everything else works fine, it seems to me as though SageTV is incompatible with it for v4/5, and that I'm going to end up railroaded into buying an upgrade I don't really need . Does anyone know how to fix this, and/or know 100% that v6 just WORKS on Vista?

Thanks!

-GoldenTiger

EDIT: Also, where can I download other versions than 5.0.4, which I had lying around from ages ago downloaded? I can't find any back-version downloads on the SageTV site .

Last edited by GoldenTiger; 02-08-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger
EDIT: Also, where can I download other versions than 5.0.4, which I had lying around from ages ago downloaded? I can't find any back-version downloads on the SageTV site .
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...t=11809&page=2
Old 02-09-2007, 03:41 AM
Sage User

Thanks... I think I'm going to just plop Vista on to a side computer and run Sage on my main under XP... unfortunate since almost everything else worked perfectly. What can I say, though? SageTV's worth it !
Old 02-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Sage User

Has anyone tested Sage v5 to see if it now works properly under Vista? What about V6 (though I *REALLY* don't want to buy an upgrade license solely to work under Vista ). Some games are starting to come out that use DX10, such as Supreme Commander, and since I'm on an eVGA 8800GTS 640MB card (DX10 compatible), I'd love to be able to enjoy them with the better graphics, but other than the 5-minute issue I've seen no fixes posted anywhere to the other problems. Anyone get it going correctly?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 AM
SageTVaholic

there have been several comments that certain problems with Vista are being fixed in the current and next 6.1 beta versions...

That doesn't mean to say that 6.1 *will* work, or that 5.0 *won't ever* work, but at least with 6.1, reported problems are getting fixed.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Try right clicking on SageTV and use 'Run as Administrator', as mentioned in this post. No guarantees, but it might make a difference if you aren't already doing that.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Try right clicking on SageTV and use 'Run as Administrator', as mentioned in this post. No guarantees, but it might make a difference if you aren't already doing that.

- Andy

Huh... ya know, I had to do this for games like World of Warcraft, I don't know why I didn't think of it for Sage. I don't believe I ever had... I may pop Vista back onto my main computer to test this shortly .