SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Sage User

Question Clarify: MediaMVP vs. SageTV Media Extender vs ?

(Sorry for my choice of words, I'm all new to this!)

I'm on my way to build a "tv-server" with SageTV but placing the computer in another room, since it probably will sound a lot... and then "stream" the picture to my two LCD tvs using 2 SageTV Media Extenders

But in this forum, people are talking about mMVP, STV MVP, MediaMVP (is that same as mMVP) ?
And someone warned about not buying Hauppauge, but STV MVPs remote looks like a Hauppauge remote...
Is the Hauppauge MVP better than the SageTV, or is it only that people already bought this one and wanted it to work with STV...?

Is there a more detailed tech spec for STV MVP, for exmaple, does it take HDTV, how much "power" is there in the box compared to buying an extra computer beside every screen...? I mean, it's a lot cheaper, so there must be a trap somewhere...
Old 02-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator

At the moment, the only SageTV media extender is the Hauppauge MVP, regardless of whatever name it is called.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

The "MVP" everyone is referring to is made by Hauppauge, and works very well. You use it to play SageTV content remotely (on the same LAN) on a TV. THis is different from the PlaceShifter application which lets you play SageTV content remotely over the Internet. THe MVP is currently SD only, not HD. It has S-video and Composite video outputs.

Most people recommend the wired version over the wireless version if at all possible--the wired version has proven to be substantially more reliable. I have the wired version, and it works very well.

I also highly recommend PCAlchemy.com as a good source. Here is a link to their MVP products:

http://www.pcalchemy.com/advanced_se...p?keywords=MVP

Don't forget that in addition to the MVP, you will also need a SageTV Client licence.

I also recommend checking SageTV's site too and compare the prices with PCAlchemy. Both offer great customer service.

And as far as "power" it has a built-in hardware decoder, so interestingly, the output is often better than many good PC systems.

A "trap"? Not really. The MVP is an often overlooked add-on that really shines. For about $100.00, you can have the complete SageTV experience (minus DVD playback) anywher in your house on any TV. It really is an amazing little device. There has been the occasional discusson of an onnoying "beep" issue, but the problem seems to be related to specific hardware and software revision combinations.

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

the wireless version of the mvp is what you want to avoid. just a P.O.S.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Sage User

Question

Brilliant explanations, thanks everyone!
So, the STV MVP sold on their site is actaully made by Hauppauge...?

"For about $100.00, you can have the complete SageTV experience (minus DVD playback)"
In that room you mean? 'Cause I can of course load the DVD into the tv-server and choose it from the client menu, or...?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Yes, the MVP is made by Hauppauge.

And, you can play non-encrypted hard drive based DVDs on the MVP, such as home-made DVDs or any commercial DVD that isn't encypted, if you have any. The SageTV MVP extender does not support playback of commercial encrypted DVDs.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Sage User

Yet another one...

So, I presume a DVD I rent in the videostore is encrypted. Is it so that the only way to view it, is by loading it into the DVD-player/burner in the tv-server and view it on a tv directly connected to a videocard, and not via a MVP...?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlung
So, I presume a DVD I rent in the videostore is encrypted. Is it so that the only way to view it, is by loading it into the DVD-player/burner in the tv-server and view it on a tv directly connected to a videocard, and not via a MVP...?
That is the only way supported by SageTV & on this forum, yes. Due to US laws, we aren't allowed to talk about how to decrypt such DVDs here.

- Andy
Old 02-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Sage User

Aha, OK...
So, the DVD have to be decrypted to be sent through to the MVP, and that is made by the processor directly to the videocard then? (Just so curious about how it works..!!)
Old 02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator

When SageTV plays a DVD on a PC, it uses a decoder that is capable of decrypting DVDs -- that is the setting in Detailed Setup -> DVD -> DVD Video Decoder Filter. You have to have a valid DVD decoder to play DVDs on your PC.

The decoder that SageTV uses to play DVDs on the extender is not capable of decoding encrypted DVDs. That is where the limitation comes from for the MVP.

- Andy
Old 02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
Don't forget that in addition to the MVP, you will also need a SageTV Client licence.

One thing to note, you do not need a SageTV Client license, you need the SageTV MVP client license. The regular client license is different (a software program for a computer). Just making sure you don't spend money on something you cant use.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Oops! You are correct. If I recall correctly, the PlaceShifter and MVP Client licenses are interchangable....

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Sage User

Thank you all, now I have to digest all this info (= sleep on it)
Old 02-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Sage User

Question

According to my other question
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23463
if I wait another Q or so, It might be possible to buy a less powerful server hardware than I thought of a couple of days ago (to be "future-proof"), since the new "HD MVP" will take on a lot of the work "locally", or...?

What about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
.... The decoder that SageTV uses to play DVDs on the extender is not capable of decoding encrypted DVDs. That is where the limitation comes from for the MVP.
Is it still the same with the new "HD MVP"?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:15 AM
SageTVaholic

That's kind of a tricky question. I believe current thinking is that the upcoming HD extender will be using a Sigma Designs SOC for it's decoding, and that chip should be capable of CSS decoding...

However, and it's a big however, I don't believe the CSS license agreement allows streaming of CSS protected content (part of the reason you can't use a software DVD player to play a DVD in the drive of another PC).

Thus I would assume that the upcoming HD extender will only be able to play unencrypted DVDs.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

I wouldn't build a server based on the HD MVP until proper reviews come from some of the forum members. For all we know this could be another piece of "bust" hardware.

I always thought the encrypted DVD issue was because of streaming to the MVP. I was unaware it was a sage decoder issue. Any way to change out this default decoder for one capable of encrypted DVDs? such as purevideo?

Edit: Upon seeing stranger's post, I guess its a legal limitation of decoders.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
I always thought the encrypted DVD issue was because of streaming to the MVP. I was unaware it was a sage decoder issue.
Well it's the hardware decoder in the MVP, it can't deal with CSS AFAIK.

Quote:
Any way to change out this default decoder for one capable of encrypted DVDs? such as purevideo?
The MVP uses it's own hardware decoder (I believe that's what Andy meant) and can't be changed.

Quote:
Edit: Upon seeing stranger's post, I guess its a legal limitation of decoders.
Well I'd call it licensing restriction. And I'm not 100% sure on that, but I believe that's the case, I know PC DVD players can't play DVDs in drives on other computers.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
Oops! You are correct. If I recall correctly, the PlaceShifter and MVP Client licenses are interchangable....
Ouch! I wish I had known this earlier. I have a Placeshifter license which is not as actively used, and now I bought a wMVP (which does not work), and got another license with it :-(

I could have just bought a wMVP (or rather a wired one given all the issues I am having with the wireless one) from Hauppauge directly, and just used it with my current Placeshifer license.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, i got the wMVP and wasted $50 on the wireless part. It works the same as the regular MVP when wired. I use a G game adaptor for wireless.

So the reason the MVP does not play DVDs from the server DVD drive is a legal issue. Will it play unencrypted DVDs from the DVD player in the server?

The company that makes the hardware for the HD extender also makes a version with a DVD player built into it. I hope they offer both versions. I don't want to complicate my setup with an extra DVD player.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy View Post
Will it play unencrypted DVDs from the DVD player in the server?
Sort of... you could play a home-made DVD, for example, if you add the DVD drive as a video import dir. But, then you have to rescan the import dirs every time you change disks, so it is easier to just play them from the hard drive.

- Andy