SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Missing files after Sage move

Hi,

I've recently reloaded my sage machine, being sure to keep the old wiz.bin file. During this time, the location of my recorded files has changed. Strangely, a few files seem to be missing in Sage, but the recordings do exist on the disk. One in particular is (coincidentally) the most recent episode of LOST. These files were moved to a NASLite machine until I ran into the multiple HD streams issue, and have since been moved back to the Sage server itself.

Any way I can make Sage notice the missing shows that are really there? (I tried to rescan the Imported files, but these aren't imported since Sage actually performed the recording...)

Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Try this:
  1. Add the new directory to your video recording dirs, if you haven't already done so.
  2. Close SageTV.
  3. Set this property: wizard/disable_maintenance=true
  4. Restore your old wiz.bin again.
  5. Restart SageTV
You can set that property back to false later on.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Sage Icon

this hassle and rigor should not be needed.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech
this hassle and rigor should not be needed.
Please help me understand... what is your point in posting this same stuff again?

What does it do to help the person who asked the question here?

I know that you already know there has been a change for v6.1 that causes the database to retain the airing details for any show that has been recorded, so the database won't dump info for recordings it doesn't see.

But, v6.1 isn't publicly available yet. So, in the meantime, I will answer questions about current capabilities and try to help people solve the issues they run into when I think I might know the answer.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok - Just did this... After restarting the Sage service, it seemed to hang... I waited like 5 minutes and the service still hadn't "started" yet. Processor util was practically nothing.

I killed it and tried again... to no avail... Waited another several minutes and nothing.. If I should be waiting like 10 minutes or something, let me know...

So, I put the wiz.bak and wiz.bin files that were there previously back and tried again... This time it started properly.. Of course, the files that I am missing remained missing...

Take two... Put the wiz.bin file there, deleting the wiz.bak file, and it still took forever to start.

So, I'm back to the wiz.bak and wiz.bin that are missing the shows... When I restarted it took about 10 seconds for the service to go to "Started" mode this time... I've gone back and change the property back to the original setting..
Old 02-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

By the way - Some shows recorded while in this state.. So, I'm guessing that if I can get back to the previous state that I'll lose the info on these newly recorded shows?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaylor
So, I'm back to the wiz.bak and wiz.bin that are missing the shows... When I restarted it took about 10 seconds for the service to go to "Started" mode this time...
I'm not sure if this would cause such a thing, but is the network location of the original recordings listed in the old wiz.bin available for SageTV to check for file existence? I'm just wondering whether it could end up waiting a long time when trying to access a 'bad' network location... I'm no network expert, but I've had that problem in other programs.

Oh, and the service is logging in as a user w/a password who has permission to access that network location? You could always try non-service mode.

Perhaps try enabling debug logging to see what it is hanging on.

Is the old wiz.bin from v5 & you are now using v6? If so, there would be a delay at startup for the database conversion, but I think that would use more cpu time than you desribe.

Quote:
I've gone back and change the property back to the original setting..
It won't hurt to leave that property on while you are resolving this. You can always disable it later. wiz.bin will just grow larger a little faster.

Quote:
By the way - Some shows recorded while in this state.. So, I'm guessing that if I can get back to the previous state that I'll lose the info on these newly recorded shows?
Not necessarily... if this happened recently & the old wiz.bin had the data for those shows already, they should be abel to connect. If the old wiz.bin is from more than about 2 weeks ago, it _might_ still be able to connect the shows when the EPG data updates, but I'm not sure about that one.

- Andy
Old 02-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ah - I think that's the issue.. The old file has shares set up that are no longer in existence.. I think it is pointing to a network address that is no longer valid... The old wiz.bin file is from V6... That file is only a few days old.

I think I'll revisit this tomorrow when I have more time. From what you are telling me, the data for the shows recorded today (and the ones that will be recorded tomorrow) are already in the wiz.bin file that I'm trying to restore, but Sage isn't reacting well because it's trying to reach a network destination that doesn't exist... Perhaps I should put something up on the network with the IP Address of the old NAS... Then, it should fail faster and I can repoint it to the proper shares...

One other question related to this reload - My original OTA channel line up when I first got an HD card listed my HD channels mostly with channel numbers in the 30's. A few months ago, something happened that caused them to change to more appropriate channel numbers, like 7-1, 7-2, etc. for the digital stations for channel 7. (I think I deleted my HD encoders and added them back, and had the new channel numbers afterwards.) Now that I've reinstalled windows and set up Sage again, the old 30 channel numbers are back. How do I correct this? My guide still showed the "better" channel numbers prior to my reload..
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
One other question related to this reload - My original OTA channel line up when I first got an HD card listed my HD channels mostly with channel numbers in the 30's. A few months ago, something happened that caused them to change to more appropriate channel numbers, like 7-1, 7-2, etc. for the digital stations for channel 7. (I think I deleted my HD encoders and added them back, and had the new channel numbers afterwards.) Now that I've reinstalled windows and set up Sage again, the old 30 channel numbers are back. How do I correct this? My guide still showed the "better" channel numbers prior to my reload..
Maybe someone else will have a better comment, but are the channels in the 30s on a different tuner's lineup & are the same networks as the ones on 7.1 & so on? If so, then SageTV will merge the same networks for display in the Program Guide & I think it just chooses the first tuner for the numbers you see. Maybe the tuner order is differnt in some way... if this is even what you are talking about. If they are all on that one HD tuner, then someone else will have to chime in.

- Andy
Old 02-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Alright - Fixed...

I did what you said, except this time I put a device on the network that had the same IP Address as the NAS had. It still took it a couple of minutes of trying, but it must have eventually quit trying to access the old location and worked. I checked the settings in Sage afterward and it had my new recording directories.. I'm wondering if Sage tracks the previous location of each file and expects it to still be in the same place each startup... ??

Anyhow, I'm fixed and have all my missing shows back and even the ones that have recorded since..

Thanks Andy! (You probably hear that far less than you should!)

I still don't know about the other issue, but it is a relatively minor one - just kind of bugs me, that's all..
Old 02-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm wondering if Sage tracks the previous location of each file and expects it to still be in the same place each startup... ??
Yes, it remembers the last-known location of recordings. This is obviously needed when you play a recording, and at startup it can simplify its search for recordings or whatever else the core does during initialization.

Anyway... glad it is working now.

- Andy