SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Sage User

Odd video stuttering problem

I have an intermittent video stuttering problem that is going to be hard for me to explain. Let me first say this is not the HD stuttering problem that has been discussed at length in other threads. This appears to happen on the recording side, not the playback side.

When you watch the file in Sage it looks like the video plays correctly for about 1 second then you see what looks like one frame of video from the previous second then playback continues for another second then jumps back again.

Ok, reading that back I don't even know what I'm trying to describe. Think of it this way: if you have 30 frames per second it plays frames 1 through 29 correctly then instead of playing frame 30 it goes back and plays frame 1 over again. It then plays frames 31 through 59 like it should but then jumps back to frame 31. Plays frames 61 - 89 then plays frame 61 etc...

It makes watching a show almost impossible (for me and my wife anyway). It started after I went to version 6 but it's very intermittent. Maybe 1-2 shows a week max. And only on SD, hasn't happened in HD so far. It has happened within an hour or to of a reboot so I don't think it's due to Windows running for weeks on end.

When I watch one of these corrupted files in a program other than Sage I see a stutter once per second so I know the error is happening on the recording side but I don't see the out of sequence frames. It just looks like a brief flicker in the playback.

If someone needs I could take a short section of one of the files and post it so you can see the effect in Sage.

Anyone seen this before?

My system is a Sage dedicated Athalon64 3000, 6600gt video, PVR 250, PVR 150, A180.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Is it this issue?
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...IA+decoder+bug
Old 02-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Sage User

It sounds similar with the out of order frames but my problem seems to be on the encoder side, not the decoder side. I tried changing the Pure Video decoder settings but the file still doesn't play correctly. I also have played one of the bad files on another computer that doesn't even have the Pure Video decoder installed and the file is still bad.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Itermittant problems are always the hardest to solve unless somebody has had the exact same problem.

Maybe it's the capture card?

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ight=A180+SATA
Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Sage User

I don't think so. I've seen the problem with SD recordings, the HD stuff has been fine so I don't think it's bandwidth related.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Sage User

Ok I put a short clip of one of the files on my website. Check it out in Sage, if you play it in WMP or some other player you will see a slight hesitation but if you play it in Sage you should see the out of order frames. The file is 5 megs in size.

http://www.augustadreamhome.com/sage/sage_clip.avi