SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Suggestion for future Beta announcements

Each time there's a new Beta release, Jeff posts a sticky announcement thread to the top of the Beta forum. It's my observation that this thread quickly grows to unwieldy length, with many different issues being reported and a dozen or more conversations going on at once, all on the same thread. Users coming to the Beta a week or more after its release often don't bother reading through the entire thread, and end up posting the same issues again, or starting new threads for issues that have already been discussed.

What I'd like to suggest is that for future Betas (starting with 6.1.4 perhaps), the sticky announcement thread should be closed as soon as it's posted. Jeff, Qian, Andy, et al. would still be able to post updates, patches, and so forth to that thread, but user feedback, issues, questions, etc. would all go in regular non-sticky threads in the main body of the forum.

The idea is that individual threads would be shorter and narrower in scope, making it easier to find what's already been posted about a particular issue (and easier to ignore the issues you're not interested in).

Similarly, any interim patch DLLs, STV updates, etc. would be a lot easier to find if they're the only thing in the sticky thread, and not buried among page after page of unrelated posts, as they often have been in the past.

Anybody else think this might be a good idea?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

I agree. That sounds like a good idea. One other addition (don't know how feasible this is with the forum software) could be to require the poster to pick which release their new thread references, just in case they don't put it in the title.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 02-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

I concur. The master beta thread is often so convoluted it's hard to keep track of the problems and solutions.

Cheers,
iSage Theme
Old 02-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Sage Icon

Good idea.

P
Old 02-26-2007, 05:46 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree. And I would take it a bit farther by suggesting that when the sticky Announcement thread is retired (i.e. version is out of beta), that it be moved to the end of a locked Version History thread so that all of the release notes and related information for previous versions can be found easily in one place.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

There is a locked (closed) beta announcement thread (which is stickied) under the title "SageTV Beta Progress Report" and is located in the beta section, problem is that the posts within it only link to the current beta at that time, with no change listing.

It might be better to have the above mentioned thread include changes for each and every beta release... maybe the public releases should be included too, to stay linear and have a place for people to refer to... so they can decide quickly which version they want.

I'm not sure about having multiple threads covering one beta version, that might muddy the waters of the beta section even worse. People should really be reading the entire beta thread before asking questions anyway, they can even search a single thread for keywords that relate to their question/problem.

edit: the beta announcement thread is not actually "closed" to posters, but there is a warning from Andy not to ever post in it.
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?

Last edited by reboot_this; 02-26-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reboot_this
edit: the beta announcement thread is not actually "closed" to posters, but there is a warning from Andy not to ever post in it.
It's not closed so you can subscribe to it and get an e-mail notification every time there is a new version/beta out.