SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Getting PlaceShifter working through a company fire wall

My new employer doesn't use a proxy, they just have a fire wall. I had a brain wave yesterday. I use nielm's web server so port 80 is tied up. I set up the Placeshifter service on my server to run through port 443. This gets through my employers fire wall a treat because the port is used by shttp!

I tried it today and it works.

So

If your company just has a fire wall, not a proxy, you can use the web server on port 80 and the placeshifter on port 443.

This has two advantages: -
1. You can listen to your entire CD collection without having to buy an iPod
2. All your work mates think you are really clever (or a geek)!

On a more serious note, having proxy support for the Placeshifter client shouldn't be that difficult to do and will allow anyone behind a proxy to use the same trick as me. SO GET ON WITH IT SAGE

On the same note, I got Orb to work on port 443 as well. I thought port 8080 would also work but it didn't.

Anypody got any other ports we could try? Remembering that ping, ftp, rpc and telnet etc. are blocked by most firewalls.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Sage Icon

I use SSH tunneling through port 22.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Sage User

my company has both firewall and proxy, i have nielm's web server on port 80, and edna on port 8080.

i was planning on trying either one of those ports for placeshifter.

question motobarsteward, why use nielm's web server if you also have
placeshifter?
Old 03-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Sage Expert

I don't placeshift at the office, but I do run both the webserver and placeshifter at home. Running both allows me to multi-task, without violating the licence agreement; I can edit my upcoming recording schedule (getting rid of some of the intelligent suggestions) while still watching a show.

IMO, the webserver is a lot better at managing the recording schedule; I wish the management of current recordings was as flexible.

Stu
Old 03-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamart3d
my company has both firewall and proxy, i have nielm's web server on port 80, and edna on port 8080.

i was planning on trying either one of those ports for placeshifter.

question motobarsteward, why use nielm's web server if you also have
placeshifter?
Because I Can!

Actually, it's so I can use my Mobile to schedule recordings. Although I said place shifter works, it's a bit slow as my employeres connection is pretty crap and I only have a 512Kbit uplink at home.
I'm playing with Orb at the moment. this allows me to play music and watch recorded TV on my 3G phone (with HSDPA) but it's a bit jumpy. I really need to get WMP to use bigger buffers becasue I think there is a fight going on between the server, the HSDPA traffic queue mecanism and WMP.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobarsteward
Because I Can!

Actually, it's so I can use my Mobile to schedule recordings. Although I said place shifter works, it's a bit slow as my employeres connection is pretty crap and I only have a 512Kbit uplink at home.
I'm playing with Orb at the moment. this allows me to play music and watch recorded TV on my 3G phone (with HSDPA) but it's a bit jumpy. I really need to get WMP to use bigger buffers becasue I think there is a fight going on between the server, the HSDPA traffic queue mecanism and WMP.
What 'mobile' are you using...

In WMP under WinMo, I dod not believe there is a specific setting to increase the buffering memory... try TCPMP...

-Jason
Old 03-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

What about port 8100? Doesn't the locator service use this port to get the ip for placeshifter? Or are you just putting in the direct IP instead of the server ID tag thingy (technical term, I know), and if so does that bypass the need for the locator port?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
What 'mobile' are you using...

In WMP under WinMo, I dod not believe there is a specific setting to increase the buffering memory... try TCPMP...

-Jason
Its a T-Mobile Vario II. Better known as an HTC TyTn or Hermes 300. Its 3G and HSDPA.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razillian
What about port 8100? Doesn't the locator service use this port to get the ip for placeshifter? Or are you just putting in the direct IP instead of the server ID tag thingy (technical term, I know), and if so does that bypass the need for the locator port?
Don't know. I think its the client or extender that uses 8100.

All I know is that 443 works. If it uses any other ports then the NAT in the two end routers take care of it.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Sage Icon

I use port 80 for tunnelling using HTTPort but it's sloooow. I used to use 8080 for the webserver but they've tied that off now. I'll have to try 22 and 443 next!

Note that it might be in your contract at work that you don't try to get around the firewall and the boss may be unimpressed...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

My boss was very impressed when I showed him. In fact, he said that he'd need to get our internet connection improved so it would work better.

But, my boss is stupid. He probably didn't realise that it could eat up lots of bandwidth.

Anyway. I'm not, technically, getting around the fire wall. My server just happens to be serving on a port that it lets through.

I'll try port 22 tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobarsteward
My boss was very impressed when I showed him. In fact, he said that he'd need to get our internet connection improved so it would work better.

But, my boss is stupid. He probably didn't realise that it could eat up lots of bandwidth.

Anyway. I'm not, technically, getting around the fire wall. My server just happens to be serving on a port that it lets through.

I'll try port 22 tomorrow.
Its been mentioned in other threads, but some users (myself included) use Hamachi (www.hamachi.cc) to get through firewalls and connect directly to the server by IP. Works very well and has the added benefit of encrypting all traffic with AES-256 encryption for those who's bosses are not as understanding as yours =)
Old 03-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Sage Icon

Hamachi uses which port? It does use a port for connection IIRC, which was blocked by the firewall when I tried it...

Tried 22 and 443, both failed. Any more likely ones?
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Old 03-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
Hamachi uses which port? It does use a port for connection IIRC, which was blocked by the firewall when I tried it...

Tried 22 and 443, both failed. Any more likely ones?
To my knowledge Hamachi will use UPNP so port can be just about anywhere in the range.

Hamachi has worked through every NAT or firewall (Corporate or Home) I have ever used it behind. It works by having both clients request a port from inside of each firewalled network and then reporting the port in use to the mediation server which connects directs the two clients to each other.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Sage Icon

Most corporate firewalls obviously won't have uPnP enabled. I had a quick look again, Hamachi seems to use its own Port number (which can be changed) or then tries to use 443. Which leads to the same problem for me of needing to find an open port...I guess my firewall team are pretty good.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'll pluck up courage and ask them tomorrow what ports are open. I know that they open FTP for specific people. A good place to look would be in the config for your own firewall. What port is used for network time protocol? That may get through a firewall and you are hardley likely to be running one of those on your media server?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Sage Icon

I'd ask ours, but I'm a developer and firewall is a different team, and I don't want to attract attention towards my port tunnelling....
Old 03-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Sage User

on linux ps client , if I have connect to this server directly, no locator ID string
and have address like
http://my.dnsdojo.org:8080

when I click on connect I see...

Attempting to connect to server at http:31099
ERROR with socket connection:

why does it say "http:31099"

should it not say?
Attempting to connect to server at http://my.dnsdojo.org:8080
Old 03-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamart3d
on linux ps client , if I have connect to this server directly, no locator ID string
and have address like
http://my.dnsdojo.org:8080

when I click on connect I see...

Attempting to connect to server at http:31099
ERROR with socket connection:

why does it say "http:31099"

should it not say?
Attempting to connect to server at http://my.dnsdojo.org:8080
Did you stop and restart the service aferchanging the port? I assume that you used the placeshifter setup wizard to change the port number. I think it may still get the locator ID from the server and use that to get the port. If you have, I suggest you file a bug report.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

there is such a thing as a nice IT dept!

My lovely IT department have upgrade our internet connection speed! I am now placeshifting from work at over 300kbit! I had a load of blokes watching Shaun the sheep yesterday!