SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Sage User

lcd tv and multiple drives

Hello,
I have two different questions to do with sagetv and as I'm a total newbie to the pvr system, I hope I can find answers to both questions.

I'm currently using mythtv but I still want to use my other computer to compare and I would like to use one of the Windows pvr options.

However, I have two main problems (that is probably going to become more than two, eventually). One, I would like to use a LCD TV with a dvi to hdmi hookup and this is a major problem for me in mythtv as I'm still learning when it comes to linux and mythtv. I'm getting help with it but I can't lug the lcd tv around (and don't want to) so I have to work on it myself with various advice to guide me. I'm wondering how difficult it is with Sagetv and Windows. Is there a lot of discussion on that subject here? The tv has a resolution of 1366 x 768 so max. HD would be 720p? I've read about powerstrip and I think I will need to use a resolution of 1360 x 768 or 1368 x 768?

Is there links in which I can find instructions or advice?

The second problem is lack of computers. I don't want to use the mythtv computer so that leaves my main computer which has data on the HD. I currently dual boot to Windows 2000 and Debian (linux distro is usually the other OS whatever it is). I didn't want to mess with this drive so I was wondering what my options were. Could I add a second drive and install sagetv on it? I have a copy of XP I bought and it's currently not being used. I was thinking of using sagetv with it as it might work better than using it on Windows 2000. What do you think? I could also buy an external drive and install XP with sagetv? I was wondering which are the best HDs - I prefer Samsung and Hitachi but I am open to suggestions. Usually, the external drives are no-names so I'm not too keen on that setup unless there is a reliable brand name out there. Can someone advise me here? I didn't really want to spend on another computer. I have a very old Pentium 3 (Compaq SFF) to use for websurfing if I need to log into the forums for info while trying to setup up the pvr system or would there be anyway to switch to my other HD (with current data). Can I use two drives and have sagetv on another drive?

Finally, this is the specs for the current computer:
MB: Asus A8N32 - SLI Deluxe, 4600+ CPU, 2 GB DDR Memory, ATI Video card X300 (although, I prefer Nvida so I'm willing to upgrade or change the card to an Nvidia if that makes things easier - my nvidia card was AGP and went into my other computer. The ATI card was free. Perhaps, the ATI card is sufficient. I don't know.)

Oh, btw, I would need a tv tuner card. I use the Hauppauge PVR 150 (1045 retail ver. with IR blaster built-in) in the mythtv computer. I understand that Hauppauge has switched the hardware in 150s so they aren't recommended anymore. At least, one has to check the box now. I'm open to suggestions or recommendations of tuner cards to buy or I can find the threads in which people are discussing the best or most popular cards? Is there any updates regarding recommended tuner cards?

Btw, there are others who might want to record programs or watch tv on this system and they like Windows and are more familiar with it so I would like to try a Windows-based pvr system so I'm looking at Sagetv as a serious contender. I'll be researching here to see what options and info I can find!

Thanks in advance for all recommendations, suggestions and advice! I will be watching this thread closely.