SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Suddenly MP3's don't play...

Hey guys,

I am not even sure where to start troubleshooting this. I upgraded to 6.1.4 and while videos and live TV play properly, music does not.

When I click play the track looks like it starts (it appears at the bottom with the time stamp growing larger) but no sound is to be heard.

I have checked to make sure my system is not muted

What's even stranger though (I think) is that if I load up GraphEdit and render a .mp3, the graph looks like so:

MP3_track.mp3 -> SageTV MPEG Splitter

And that's it.

And for the record, they do not, any longer, even play in WMP. What could have possibly happened?
iSage Theme
Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

I can't get MP3's to play in Sage either. I can play them just fine in WMP, or winamp. The graph looks normal, volume is fine. I've tried just about everything I can think of, but only silence when I plan an MP3.

Also, I get an "Exception - unable to render video portion of playback" when I try to play certain MP3's. I had no problems with 6.1.3.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:28 AM
Sage User

I third that, but the reason I personally found for it is detailed in http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...31&postcount=1

Can you check? Reduce sage to a window, open control panel/sounds next to it. Click the 'device volume frame's advanced button. At least in my system, when I look at the advanced only the 'wave' slider goes to zero when playing MP3 or imported videos. Manually raising it fixes the problem, but I think sage puts it to zero again on subsequent play attempts.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielshu View Post
I third that, but the reason I personally found for it is detailed in http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...31&postcount=1
Negatory, the system (or wave) volume does not change when I try to play an MP3. I can change the volume in sage and watch the system slider go up and down all day, but play MP3 = no audio.

Oh, and Placeshifter on another PC plays the MP3's just dandy.

How's this for blowing your mind: When I run placeshifter on the Sage server PC (with the service and GUI running), the placeshifter plays MP3's just fine! Gotta be something nerfed with playback in Sage GUI on the local server.... Not a codec issue for sure.

Last edited by Endymion; 03-09-2007 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Sage User

Strange... volume sure drops to zero on my machine. I confirm placeshifter works just fine just like in your setup though...
Old 03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Odd. I saw this thread and tried playing music under 6.1.4 and it works fine for me. Wacky. (I realize this helps you not at all -- but I wanted to point out that its not a problem for everyone apparently.)
Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Sage

This is fixed for the next build. For now set this property and it should fix it:

videoframe/last_dshow_volume=1.0
Old 03-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
This is fixed for the next build. For now set this property and it should fix it:

videoframe/last_dshow_volume=1.0
Actually, that property was already in my sage.properties file.... Still doesn't work. I'm going to try a few other things, then I guess I'll go back to 6.1.3

Two other things I noticed now: Imported videos with MPEG or MP3 audio don't play the audio; and I can't seem to turn off video thumbnail generation.

Ok, nevermind.... Apparently I need to set that property and turn off the thumbnail generation in the SageClient.properties. Odd as the last version seemed to pick up the changes in the Sage.Properties just fine.

Last edited by Endymion; 03-09-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

My videoframe/last_dshow_volume=1.0 was set to 0.0 and after editing that along with pushing my slider back up in the Windows sound options everything seems to be back to normal.

One last thing, does it stand to to reason that videoframe/last_dshow_volume=1.0 would only be active if you have always_use_dshow_player=true set?

Cheers,
iSage Theme
Old 03-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbell View Post
My videoframe/last_dshow_volume=1.0 was set to 0.0 and after editing that along with pushing my slider back up in the Windows sound options everything seems to be back to normal.

One last thing, does it stand to to reason that videoframe/last_dshow_volume=1.0 would only be active if you have always_use_dshow_player=true set?

Cheers,
No, that reasoning is not correct. With 6.1.5 that property will only matter on Windows if you're using content that renders with the DShow Player and you have media_player_uses_system_volume=false set. (with 6.1.4 it did it even if you had media_player_uses_system_volume=true set which is wrong)