SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Can we add a SageMC Subforum??

Nearly 50% of the threads in this section are related to SageMC... and it would be nice to clean things up a little and make it easier to navigate if we added a subsection related only to SageMC and its imports.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

At a guess, it would be giving too much legitimacy to something that, if Microsoft ever look hard, would probably cause legal issues.

Client:
Sage Client 6.1.9, Java 1.6.0_01, AthlonXP 3000+, 512MB RAM, GeForce 6150, ForceWare 93.71, nForce 8.26, PureVideo 1.02-223, SageMC 6.3.2c
Old 03-13-2007, 02:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would also like that. But because the other way round: I don't want to see anything related to SageMC, I only use the default STV with imports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney View Post
At a guess, it would be giving too much legitimacy to something that, if Microsoft ever look hard, would probably cause legal issues.
Why, because of the letters "MC"? Or the layout? I doubt that you can put a copyright on this kind of layout. But that's for the lawyers in this community

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 03:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by owilsky View Post
Why, because of the letters "MC"? Or the layout? I doubt that you can put a copyright on this kind of layout. But that's for the lawyers in this community
IANAL, but for past history, see Apple v. Microsoft's 1994 look and feel lawsuit... Apple complained that Windows was stealing their UI. Apple lost, but in cases like this small companies such as Sage will always capitulate to big companies because they cannot afford the cost litigation.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
IANAL, but for past history, see Apple v. Microsoft's 1994 look and feel lawsuit... Apple complained that Windows was stealing their UI. Apple lost, but in cases like this small companies such as Sage will always capitulate to big companies because they cannot afford the cost litigation.
Well, even if it were a legitmate complaint, Sage MC is more than just a graphical theme. It is a powerful addition to Sage that adds a lot functionality and now even has its OWN plugins. If the complaint were of the look being too much like MS MCE, there are other themes built upon it that look quite different.

At this point, though I just think so much attention is placed on SageMC that I think it deserves its own section. For one, it clutters the boards for non-SageMC users looking for other things (is there anyone NOT running it still? ). Two, it makes it easier for the masses running it to easily get to and discuss problems, additions, plugins for it. This could help to organize it so that we don't have a several hundred page thread relating to SageMC like we do now, as there would be room to start individual threads on each of the many topics that someone wants to discuss relating to SageMC.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
SageTVaholic

As I recall (and no doubt Andy will correct me if I'm misrepresenting anything), the last time this came up the answer was something along these lines:

If SageMC users want a space of their own, there are plenty of cheap/free web hosting services out there. But on these forums, all plugins are created equal. No third-party UI gets preferred treatment, no matter how fervent its followers.

From a practical perspective, what happens if a month or two from now some new supercool third-party UI bursts on the scene and puts SageMC way in the shade? (Hey, it could happen. SageMC is not the first wildly popular plugin and probably won't be the last.) Do they then get a subforum of their own? Does the SageMC subforum get retired? Best not to open that can of worms and instead let the fads play themselves out on their own in the main Customizations forum.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

GKusnick - I'd hope that isn't the answer. Because it's a pretty poor one.

Firstly, the bother of setting up new subforums is very small, considering how much time a Sage employee spends administering this place; we're talking what, 4 new subforums a year or so?

Secondly, it's all very well to say you can set up your own forum, but forums depend on traffic and all SageTV related traffic comes this way, because this is where SageTV's website sends us.

Thirdly, subforums for customizations that have ceased to be popular could simply be archived. Again, we're talking about what - something that needs to be done four times a year max?

This is meant to be a user to user forum for the benefit of Sage users. Customizations are a major part of the attraction of Sage. It's all very well to say all customizations are equal, but it's simply ignoring reality; some customizations can cope in a single thread, some now have hopelessly unmanageable 100+ page threads where any new person will really struggle to find pertinent information.

I prefer my answer, I can understand it! The other is just Sage being awkward.

Client:
Sage Client 6.1.9, Java 1.6.0_01, AthlonXP 3000+, 512MB RAM, GeForce 6150, ForceWare 93.71, nForce 8.26, PureVideo 1.02-223, SageMC 6.3.2c
Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually as someone that has written plugins that support both SageMC and the Default STV. I would prefer it remain all in one place. Rather than have to look in multiple customization forums for possible questions that might actually have to do with My plugin. Rather than the STV it is installed into. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney View Post
It's all very well to say all customizations are equal, but it's simply ignoring reality; some customizations can cope in a single thread, some now have hopelessly unmanageable 100+ page threads where any new person will really struggle to find pertinent information.
That's partly why the Guides and Tutorials section of the Downloads area was created, so that useful info can be summarized and organized in a way that makes it easier for new users to find. Also there's no requirement that everybody post to the same unwieldy thread. It's OK to have multiple SageMC threads focusing on different subtopics (so long as they're clearly labeled as such).

For the record, I'm neutral on the question of whether SageMC deserves its own subforum. I can see pros and cons either way. I'm just reporting what I remember from past discussions of this sort.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Sage Expert

Gkusnick is right: proper labeling is key.

Maybe if posters starting threads about MC just start the topic with SageMC:<topic title.>

Thats all that would be needed
Old 03-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

I second that. and whenever a thread is started for SageMC without it, the mods would insert it.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Sage User

One thing I have to agree with is the fact that 150 pages of info in one thread seems to be a bit much. I have no solution... just opinion.