SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Sage User

NVIDIA Video Decoder no longer works

For some strange reason I can no longer get SageTV to work with the NVIDIA Video Decoder. It was fine yesterday and nothing has changed on the system. I now get the error:

"There was a Playback Error in playback. Details: sage.PlaybackException: ERROR (-4,0x80040217): There was a problem rendering the video portion of the content for playback."

It works with the SageTV MPEG Video Decoder.

I'm running Vista Ultimate.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Sage Icon

30 day free Trial up ?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've had a similar problem after watching a Google video. Restart Sage and it came back up. Wierd.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggP View Post
For some strange reason I can no longer get SageTV to work with the NVIDIA Video Decoder. It was fine yesterday and nothing has changed on the system. I now get the error:

"There was a Playback Error in playback. Details: sage.PlaybackException: ERROR (-4,0x80040217): There was a problem rendering the video portion of the content for playback."

It works with the SageTV MPEG Video Decoder.

I'm running Vista Ultimate.
do you have overlay or vmr selected in setup?
Old 03-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

The NVIDIA trial period expiration won't notify you in any way - it just quits working and gives an error in Sage like you describe. Also, I upgraded my video card about 10 days into the trial and it immediately 'expired' it apparently.
If you have purchased the decoder, I would recommend uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling it.
If you have not purchased the decoder, I would recommend purchasing it - it's well worth it (especially if you have an NVIDIA card with hardware decoding).

Last edited by scoful; 03-23-2007 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Sage User

I have a MSI K8NGM2-FID motherboard with built-in NVIDIA GeForce 6150 graphics chip. Since I've been running Vista, I've struggled with trying to get decent performance. So I've tried installing new drivers whenever available.

I also thought the NVIDIA codecs were just part of the drivers, but maybe I had them because they came with Theatertek. Eventually, I did install the PureVideo drivers, which I downloaded from the NVIDIA website. So you are probably right, the trial finally expired. Then I would expect the original NVIDIA codecs to work, but they didn't.

So, I decided to try uninstalling the PureVideo codecs and then reinstalled Theatertek. Now I have the NVIDIA codecs (at least they show up in a list of codecs using the Gspot utility), but they don't work in SageTV. After uninstalling PureVideo, the NVIDIA Decoder disappeared from the list of video decoders in SageTV. Then, after reinstalling Theatertek, they reappeared.

BTW, I am running Overlay because VMR9 just doesn't seem to work correctly with my system (again, it's probably a Vista thing).
Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

If the Pure decoders are working great, might as well just register it. The basic bronze edition is plenty to get the thing running great.

Vista.... Whenever I think of vista I think of Kirk screaming Kahn's name..

"VVVVVIIIISSTAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat View Post
If the Pure decoders are working great, might as well just register it. The basic bronze edition is plenty to get the thing running great.
Actually, that's the problem. The PureVideo decoders are not working great in Vista. With SageTV, I seemed to have sporadic problems. At times it worked fine. Other times, I would have to go back into settings and toggle between different decoders to get it to work without the video (especially HD) looking jerky. When I play an MPEG, the NVIDIA tray icon appears, but it will not let me open it to make adjustments.

I haven't been able to get the NVIDIA decoders to work with Vista Media Center or even Windows Media Player, because some of the Vista driver issues. Some of this is self-inflicted because of our own audio drivers that are in development.

Anyhow, I hesitate to pay for NVIDIA video drivers until they are really Vista ready, but I might as well...
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Sage Icon

Have you tried setting the Detailed Setup Video Renderer and Audio Renderer to DEFAULT? That has always worked for me when all else failed.

Mike