SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Extenders/server/how it all works together

I'm just curious how is all works together. Not from a realistic standpoint, media is encoded, decoded etc, but from a file and reading those files standpoint.

Say my client is set up the way I want it on my pc(Server) then I plug in a media extender or two. Which files are my settings saved in on my pc for the client, and what about the extender settings? Where are they saved at, on the extender in memory?

So say I make a change on my client, lets say I mess around with SageMC, some settings in it, it then saves the settings where? Then do I need to tell the media extenders to reload SageMC to pick up those changes or is it done when It turns on and off?

I'm just trying to get a better feel for how it all works together and what files do what for the client and extenders.

Thanks

edit - I say client, meaning server, I believe there is a difference

Last edited by sakker; 03-23-2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakker View Post
Say my client is set up the way I want it on my pc(Server) then I plug in a media extender or two. Which files are my settings saved in on my pc for the client, and what about the extender settings? Where are they saved at, on the extender in memory?

So say I make a change on my client, lets say I mess around with SageMC, some settings in it, it then saves the settings where? Then do I need to tell the media extenders to reload SageMC to pick up those changes or is it done when It turns on and off?
SageTV and SageTV Client use the STV files on the machines where they are installed and save their settings in sage.porperties or sageclient.properties.

Placeshifter and Media Extender clients use the STVs found on the server they connect to, and save their settings in properties files found in the 'clients' subdirectory under the SageTV installation dir. (Vista can force properties files to be saved elsewhere.) The STV for a Placeshifter user is defined in the server's sage.properties file, in the settings for the user, however.

So, changes you make to an STV on the server will also affect any Placeshifter or Extender client that uses that STV. Settings that you change within the UI & get saved to the properties file will normally have to be changed on each remote client.

Changes made to SageTV Client on a PC different from your server don't affect remote clients at all, because remote clients don't connect to such client PCs.

Does that answer your question? If not, what are you trying to figure out?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

you can also think of the extenders as just being "dumb" in that they do not store anything locally. Basically, the only firmware they have on them consists of a boot loader which tells it to grab its (loosely quoted) "OS" from the sage server. All settings are stored ON the server. Its quite easy.

they do get properties of their own, so if you want the extender to not show animations, but allow the server to continue to do so, that is fine. But changes made to the STV such as SageMC are applied to the extenders as well (such as new custom icons or installing a new version)

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
SageTV and SageTV Client use the STV files on the machines where they are installed and save their settings in sage.porperties or sageclient.properties.

Placeshifter and Media Extender clients use the STVs found on the server they connect to, and save their settings in properties files found in the 'clients' subdirectory under the SageTV installation dir. (Vista can force properties files to be saved elsewhere.) The STV for a Placeshifter user is defined in the server's sage.properties file, in the settings for the user, however.

So, changes you make to an STV on the server will also affect any Placeshifter or Extender client that uses that STV. Settings that you change within the UI & get saved to the properties file will normally have to be changed on each remote client.

Changes made to SageTV Client on a PC different from your server don't affect remote clients at all, because remote clients don't connect to such client PCs.

Does that answer your question? If not, what are you trying to figure out?

- Andy
Ok, I think that answers it, let me let it sink in for a bit.

I'm not looking for any specific question, just in general to help me understand how things work better. I hate not knowing what to do or where to look to find something, fix something, or just mess around with something.