SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Dual Core processors and Placeshifting

I am placeshifting HD and see that my processor will only use 50% (basically maxed out on one of the two cores). At times the video can be a bit jumpy. Is there a way to make it use all of the processor speed.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

The current implementation of the transcoder is single threaded so can only be executed on one core.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiegerner View Post
The current implementation of the transcoder is single threaded so can only be executed on one core.
Narflex, Any plans to add this?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well now I'll ask a second question that is not really related to duo core processing but I'd like opinions on getting the CPU usage down on my server during transcoding. I have a 3.0Ghz duo core and that really is enough for most placeshifting but sometimes I am using it for wireless transfer within my house (I only have OTA HD and that won't work wirelessly w/o 802.11n). I can set placeshifter to work at lower resolutions just fine but 480p resolution causes the problems.

Sometimes I think in terms of adding system memory to increase performance, but in this case I have doubts that this will help with a process that is so CPU intensive. Opinions, guess, WAGs are all welcome. Are there any other suggestions? I have tried lowering frame rate, ect with no luck
Old 04-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Sage Icon

So, how much memory do you have? With three tuners 1gig is plenty.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
So, how much memory do you have? With three tuners 1gig is plenty.
Yes, I have 2 hd tuners and 1 Gig and clearly that is enough for basic operation. I was just trying to get opinions if adding more would help transcoding. Sounds like your vote is no.

Since the media extender has dvd resolutions sent to it, is it possible to add another transcoding resolution to placeshifter to allow for mpeg. That would be slightly less CPU intensive. This is probably something never though about by Narflex, but placeshifter is very useful for squeezing HD into a pipe that will fit on an 802.11g stream. They probably only thought about internet applications. Is this something that could be done Narflex?