SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Sage Icon

DirecTV serial control without the Paterson adapter?

I think my D* receiver died, need to get a new one. I bought a D11 from bestbuy, damn USB interface. I read a few threads about folks using the Paterson devices, but that site shows out of stock. Besides, wife wants to kick my a$$ b/c we only have network OTA recording right now.

Has anyone purchased a new D* receiver from anywhere (SD or HD), and been able to control it without those devices? I'd prefer serial control as I don't have a USBUIRT on that machine.

Any guidance?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I have looked into this before. I really didn't want to spend 42/unit * 4 units unless I had to. Turns out I had to.

B

Check your PM
Old 03-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I have looked into this before. I really didn't want to spend 42/unit * 4 units unless I had to. Turns out I had to.

B

Check your PM
I agree with you there, wish they weren't so expensive.

However, it works, and you can't really beat what works.

Btw, sorry I guess I bought the last 3 of them
Old 03-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Sage User

Your only other option is to buy an old tuner off of ebay like the 2 I have. You have to be really careful, and get the serial numbers before you bid, so you can call directv and make sure the boxes aren't from a bad account or stolen. My old Hughes HIRD-E4 (or E45 as they are sometimes called) Work great with serial port tuning.
Video/Audio: Overlay and Cyberlink video/audio
Clients: 2 STX-HD100 HD Media Extenders, 1 MediaMVP
Old 03-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, used eBay for my current RCA DRD435RH units. 1 worked great, 1 turns itself off after 30mins, the other doesn't work. I'd rather just spend the $50 for the new unit, plus $40 on this thingey if it'll keep the wife happy.

I also got this advice from the CQC forum for folks who control it natively via that. Would this work here, given that I'm looking to use from inside Sage?

Quote:
You need two cables. One is a USB to Serial adapter. The other is a serial cable that swaps pins 2 and 3 with pin 5 (Gnd) straight through. The USB connector on the USB to Serial adapter goes to the receiver. The other serial cable connects to the serial end of the USB serial adapter and to the CQC PC.

Here is a link to the DTV document. It covers the commands, supported receivers and cabling requirements.

http://www.sbcatest.com/DTV-MD-0058-...llers-V2.0.pdf
Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think it depends on which box you get, or have, from Dtv. Now that I'm typing that I could probably just scroll up to see if you mentioned it earlier but then I realized that I'd rather type all this than reach over and scroll my mouse up

The TVTranslators only work with certain boxes, there is a chart that says which models work with which boxes on their website. http://www.patersontech.com/Translator/TransMain.aspx