SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Sage User

98.5% Noob. - How to connect it all?

Alright, I posted here a while back about trying to get Sage TV to work on my computer, but then I kind of abandon the topic. So onto the point, My 'rig' is set up right next to my TV/satellite box (Not sure of the name, the thing that the cord from the satellite plugs into, and then my TV plugs into, to give it the acctual reception). So the thing is, im not sure exactly what to do, I have a Radeon Rage 128 All-In-Wonder video card. Do I just run a coaxle cable from my box, to my video card? If so what plug on the box? Ive got a TV-Out coaxle plug, and some other ones I cant think of right now.

Im sorry if this isnt the eaisest to understand - I will re-write the post when I get home and have more time if no one gets it, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bajawoojie
Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 AM
SageTVaholic

I *think* the all in wonder card is a software encoding card and would not be up to snuff. To use with a STB (satellite box) you'll need:
  1. HW Encoding capture card (PVR-150 might be a good low cost option)
  2. SVideo and R/L Audio cables to connect to the capture card
  3. IR Blaster or serial tuning device to change channels on the STB. I would recommend serial.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Sage Expert

Welcome to the club!

I don't have a set-top box (STB) in my current environment, so others may correct me on this, but the basic premise is based on two concepts:

1. You need to get a video & audio feed from your STB to your video card. The easiest method to do this is coax, but it doesn't provide the best picture quality. For casual viewing, it should be fine.

2. You need to have a way for SageTV to change channels on the STB. I don't know if the All-In-Wonders have an IR flasher on them (it basically emulates a remote control; it sends the IR codes to the STB to change channels, etc). If not, you may want to pick up the USB-UIRT (Google it). It's a USB IR controller for Sage.

3. You need to get TV out from your card to your TV. SHould be able to run the coax from your TV-out on your PC straight to your television. Again, not the best picture quality, but easy to set up.

HTH,
Stu
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, Welcome back!

The biggest thing is don't be discouraged by any problems you may have. This forum can help you even if your 99.9% newb!

As mentioned, you will need a capture card for collecting the Audio and Video coming out of the STB. There are a couple different options of capture cards you should be aware of depending on the features you would like to have. When choosing a capture card the biggest thing (for me at least) is having the ability to record two shows at the same time or watch one show and record one show at the same time. This depend on how many tuners are built into the capture card.
An example of a single tuner card is the PVR-150:
http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/produ...pvr150mce.html
If you would like a dual tuner card you can go with the PVR-500:
http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/produ...pvr500mce.html
The PVR-500 is almost the same as the PVR-150 with the exception of the pvr-500 having 2 tuners.
Take a look at the picture of the capture card.. specifically the inputs. You will want to use the round black plug in the middle (s-video)for video and the red and white RCAs for audio coming from your STB ((set top box)satellite receiver)). If you do not have an S-video out on your STB then you will use the composite video (yellow RCA) instead.

Coax is the easy way to get connected but you most likely have an s-video input on your TV or at least composite. Both will give you better picture quality than coax. Try to go the route that will give you the best picture quality that is available with your setup, as you will be more satisfied in the end.

Warning: Once you start with Sage, you'll never want to watch TV without it!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Sage User

Well then - it looks like I will have to leave you guys again =( I don't have any money for a new tuner card. And even if I did I still don't know most of the stuff you guys are talking about (IR Blaster, HW Encoding Capture Card, etc etc). SO unless any of you have an extra one your willing to give away, not much I can do.

Anyways - whats the difference between software encoding and hardware encoding?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajawoojie View Post
I still don't know most of the stuff you guys are talking about (IR Blaster ...
An IR blaster can be used by SaegTV to emit the IR codes used to change the channel on your STB, like you would do with your remote. An example would be the USB-UIRT, available in the SageTV store, among other places.

Quote:
Anyways - whats the difference between software encoding and hardware encoding?
A software encoder uses software running on your computer to encode the TV signal into a recording, thus it needs to use your cpu to do this. It would be difficult to effectively be able to use more than a single one of these.

A hardware encoder uses hardware built into the card to convert the TV signal to a digital recording. This uses very little resources on the PC, other than simply storing it to your hard drive. Multiples of this type of encoder can be easily used at the same time.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Sage User

Well, How much would it set me behind buying a new card, and an IR blaster. And if I were to buy a new card - are there any good cards that are graphic cards too? Because I've been needing a new one.