SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Sage User

Extender volume: amplified or need amplifier?

I am interested in installing some in-wall or in-ceiling speakers in my study. I'm interested in installing a small (15" or smaller) LCD TV and connecting a Media Extender to it. I would like to connect the in-ceiling/in-wall speakers to the Extender. Do I need to run an amplifier between the extender and speakers, or does the extender have a decent internal amp? thanks!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:36 AM
SageTVaholic

The extender has line-level outputs, you'll need some sort of amplifier for it.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Sage User

The Sage + media extender option has some issues, I wouldn't recomend it as a server for sound only. I have my house stereo system hooked up to it (3 different rooms with in wall speaker) and it works pretty well but has some annoyances. I use Sage version 5 which cuts the last few seconds off of every song and playlists end randomly before completing the playlist if you are using sort. I have submitted bug reports on both things but have gotten no help (they don't really support version 5 anymore).
I thought about upgrading to version 6, but I have read a lot of complaints about loud audio blurps and bleeps coming through at the end of songs that sounded worse then my problems.
In all Sage is not bad, but if all you are looking for is a server for your MP3's, I am guessing there has got to be a better quality option out there. Other than the sounds problems that I mentioned, the sound quality is actually pretty good (depending on your amp or stereo you are using to amplify the output).
Old 04-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking to use the extender as a audio system component. Instead, I want to use it as a "local source" in each room that has a TV, so I can override the whole-house audio system and use the inwall/ceiling speakers with extender. So the extender will output video to the TV and audio to the inwall/ceiling speakers. Sounds like I need an amplifier, thanks for the info!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I thought about upgrading to version 6, but I have read a lot of complaints about loud audio blurps and bleeps coming through at the end of songs that sounded worse then my problems.
The audio blips are not a constant thing and very rarely happen if at all. Some people never report even a single blip. Of my 2 extenders, the older one will have a split second blip maybe once a month and its hardly annoying.

It is also a pretty good audio solution. I have a pure AAC collection which my MVPs play perfectly fine

though the amp is a definite suggestion if you are doing external speakers.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.