SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to wvpolekat Send a message via MSN to wvpolekat
Volume Normalization on MVP

So, I got my MVP all setup and it seems pretty happy overall.

But, even before Sage, I had constant problems with volume differences between channels, I suspect that my crappy cable company is to blame, since I never had this problem with identical hardware from Time Warner.

I found some other threads about volume normalization in Sage, but I suspect these only apply when using Sage as the player and not the MVP.

From what I can tell, when the MVP is in the picture the Sage server acts more as a traffic cop and file server and the decoder/player settings in it really don't impact the MVP.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

This is just something I have had to live with. I also have the case where I use 3 PVR-150's which natively record very low volume. This isn't so bad on the server/client machine since I can increase the volume of my receiver to compensate, but on the MVP i have to put it's volume to the max, and then adjust the TV which creates static.

normalization would be wonderful feature to sage.

Its even worse when moving from a TV recording to playing a music track, since then you have your ears blown out.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat View Post
This is just something I have had to live with. I also have the case where I use 3 PVR-150's which natively record very low volume. This isn't so bad on the server/client machine since I can increase the volume of my receiver to compensate, but on the MVP i have to put it's volume to the max, and then adjust the TV which creates static.

normalization would be wonderful feature to sage.

Its even worse when moving from a TV recording to playing a music track, since then you have your ears blown out.
My solution is to set the volume of the TV set to 50% and then use the MVP's volume control to adjust the sound level. That way you aren't pushing anything to its limit and there isn't so much distortion. This works for me because my wife and I also have a digital cable box, so we don't use the TV's tuner very often. When we do tune to standard cable, I do get surprised by the volume level
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5