SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

thanks, i'll give it a try.

edit: worked thanks!

Last edited by lcddream; 02-13-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Here is an early test version of the upcoming touchscreen controls import for you touchscreen guys out there. I'd like some feedback to see if I am headed in the right direction.

This is an alpha version. Use at your own risk. It is good practice to make a backup copy of your entire SageTV directory before proceeding.

Installation:

Extract the attached zip file to you SageTV directory. In SageMC, go to Settings >> Import STVi and select Toolbar_alpha_0.1.xml.

The control panel is activated by double-tapping on an unused area of your screen in any menu. I haven't figured out how to tie it in to the Video OSD yet, so that key bit of functionality is missing for the moment.

In the panel you will see a button in the upper left corner. Tap it (it will turn blue) and you will be able to move the panel around by dragging your finger on the screen. When you are done, tap the move button again. The buttons on the upper right are for sleep, fullscreen, and exit (this exits the control panel, not SageTV). You can also close the panel by double-tapping somewhere on the screen.

In the body of the panel you have the transport controls and the Home, Forward, and Back buttons.

The visual style will probably change. This was just a first attempt to get something out the door for evaluation. I welcome suggestions.

Aloha,
Mike

EDIT: File removed

Last edited by MeInMaui; 02-18-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Sage Expert

Just gave this a try. It does not pop up when there is a video playing, but does on the menus and such. I've tried it with both Overlay and VMR. Same results.

Also, is there a way to have it popup on a single tap? Double tapping on a touchscreen can be a pain.

What I would love to see is this replacing the osd entirely, but I don't know if that is even possible. Or if it makes sense to anyone else but me
Old 02-17-2008, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
Just gave this a try. It does not pop up when there is a video playing, but does on the menus and such. I've tried it with both Overlay and VMR. Same results.
yeah, I haven't gotten it working in the video OSD yet. I'm still working on th ebest way to tie it in.

Quote:
Also, is there a way to have it popup on a single tap? Double tapping on a touchscreen can be a pain.
Sure, no problem. I didn't want to make it too easy to activate it unintentionally.

Quote:
What I would love to see is this replacing the osd entirely, but I don't know if that is even possible. Or if it makes sense to anyone else but me
I'll have to think about this as I work out how to integrate the panel into the video OSD. I think I would rather gracefully tie into the existing osd, but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Ok guys,

Here is another touchscreen control update to check out.

It now opens/closes with a single click on an unused portion of the screen. I also fixed the move function. Lastly, you can now bring it up in the Video OSD by clicking on the top half of the screen. Clicking on the bottom half still brings up the original OSD.

I still want to add some things to make it a bit more useful in the Video OSD. For one, I think it should bring up the time bar whenever you hit the skip buttons.

Please let me know what you think. Is it converging on something that will be useful?

Aloha,
Mike

Edit: File removed. Newer version now available.

Last edited by MeInMaui; 02-24-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Installation

Unzip the contents of the download into your SageTV directory. Then start Sage and import Toolbar_Import.xml (in the STVs\SageTV3\ folder) into SageMC.

I tried importing on both my client and placeshifter client, either way I get a blank screen after it asking do u want to import toolbar into sagemc. Dead in the water until I go and edit the STV in sageclient.properties back to sagemc_169.xml.

Java is current, and I updated sage, placeshifter, and sagemc last week. What gives?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akenis View Post
Installation

Unzip the contents of the download into your SageTV directory. Then start Sage and import Toolbar_Import.xml (in the STVs\SageTV3\ folder) into SageMC.

I tried importing on both my client and placeshifter client, either way I get a blank screen after it asking do u want to import toolbar into sagemc. Dead in the water until I go and edit the STV in sageclient.properties back to sagemc_169.xml.

Java is current, and I updated sage, placeshifter, and sagemc last week. What gives?
Importing on placeshifter and extenders is not currently supported. When you edited your properties file, what was the name of the STV it was using before you changed it back to SageMC_169.xml?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hey,

Like I said, I edited sageclient.properties back to sagemc_169.xml and it works.

I go to advanced settings, sagetv application package (.stv or .xml) and select toolbar_sagemc_v6.3.4+.xml. It asks if I want to import to the current sagetv3sagemc.xml? Yes and blank screen. STV is set to toolbar_sagemc_v6.3.4+.xml in properties file.

What's the difference between sagemc_169.xml and sagetv3sagemc.xml? I'm pretty sure I originally selected to load sagemc_169.xml, but it switches to sagetv3sagemc.xml in use.

Saw awhile back that if I can get a good .xml on the server, then I can use that for the placeshifter.

thanks...
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

...nevermind.

Can't keep up with the .xml .stv .stvi changes over the years. Instead of going to Detailed settings, I used the import option on the settings menu itself... can't remember which one. STV now set to sagemc_169-1.xml.

Still would like to now why it says sagetv3sagemc.xml sometimes...

Andrew
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Ok guys,

It now opens/closes with a single click on an unused portion of the screen. I also fixed the move function. Lastly, you can now bring it up in the Video OSD by clicking on the top half of the screen. Clicking on the bottom half still brings up the original OSD.
Works as advertised. As for the top half/bottom half thing, I can see where the WAF may be of issue. I find that around here consistency is king. That's why I was hoping for a combined thing. But it sounds like that may not be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
I still want to add some things to make it a bit more useful in the Video OSD. For one, I think it should bring up the time bar whenever you hit the skip buttons.
Completely agree that the timebar should come up all of the time.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Works as advertised. As for the top half/bottom half thing, I can see where the WAF may be of issue. I find that around here consistency is king. That's why I was hoping for a combined thing. But it sounds like that may not be possible.

Completely agree that the timebar should come up all of the time.
I'll try to come up with another way to integrate the control panel into the Video OSD. For now, that was the best way I could find to get it in there quickly to allow testing. I'll try to get another update out this weekend.

After a few days with it, does it seem to meet your needs? Are there any glaring omissions or usability issues? Thanks.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Sage Expert

Overall it meets the need. It's probably more than I need in some ways, but workable.

The only issue I've seen is that when I stop a video, it doesn't go to the last menu, just hangs on a black screen. If I click left, it goes to the last menu. Minor really.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Overall it meets the need. It's probably more than I need in some ways, but workable.

The only issue I've seen is that when I stop a video, it doesn't go to the last menu, just hangs on a black screen. If I click left, it goes to the last menu. Minor really.
I noticed the blackscreen as well. I'll look into it.

Also, please speak up if you have any requests to make it better suited to your application. Since I don't have a touchscreen, I'm kind of flying blind.

Would it be better if I eliminated some of the buttons? Would you benefit from any additional buttons? Would a different layout work better? Would you like different color backgrounds? Should I make the panel resizable? Most of these things are fairly easy to change/add. Since I won't be using this, it is really you guys who need to be happy with it.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Sage Expert

I tend to be a minimalist, so less is more

If I had my way, all I'd have is Stop, Pause, Play, FFW, REW, Left, Right and Home. In a strip across the bottom with the timebar embedded in the middle.

But that's just me. I'd love to hear other opinions, but I'm starting to think there are only a couple of us using touchscreens right now.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Sage Icon

Does this work as a second screen? I have a neglected 7" widescreen touchscreen that I'd love to put to use, but I need to push the video display to the projector.

Does Sage support this?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry I haven't been able to participate in the Beta...I've got some other large issues to deal with but I'll try to spin this up Sunday and take it for a spin. Sam description of minimal capability also fits my desires but I'll give you my 2c by Monday.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK, I fired it up, and here are my impressions...but first let me say thank you thank you thank you for taking an interest in making SageMC work for touchscreens...ok with that out of the way now for my inputs:

1) In the OSD, it still won't pop up immediately, you have to wait until the information screen disappears for it to activate.

2) I second the minimalist (and honestly, if I could just have a home button embedded in the normal SageMC time bar, I would probably consider touchscreen support 90% done and only want a home key to pop up when I am not in playback mode if I touch an unused portion of the screen...if that is not an option...

3) I wouldn't even include play/pause/transport since all those features are available through the standard sageMC time bar. I would include volume and home, rec, stop, skip +/- but that is it.

3) I second the opinion that in playback both the time bar and the "touchscreen" menu should pop up at the bottem when ever you touch the screen.

4) I would have the same "floating button" design as the normal plugin bar that this is based on. And it should pop up at the bottom of the screen not "in your face style" in the middle of the playback. Don't need a close as the menu should time out/close after 5 s if nothing further is pressed. Honestly, if I could just get "home" I probably wouldn't bother with the rest of it. I can always remote in to the PC when I need to configure something and use standard keyboard in mouse...

thank you again for your willingness to make SageMC available to the touchscreen handicapped!

mv
Old 02-24-2008, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for the feedback. I should have another update ready tonight. I think (hope ) it will be much more in line with what you guys are looking for.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Nice import. I just started playing with this. I agree with the others that it would be nice if is was more of a tool bar strip.

I will play with this more tomorrow. thanks again.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Hi Guys,

Ok here is another attempt. The control panel is now a strip across the bottom of the screen. Click on an unused area to activate. Click anywhere outside the panel or just let it time out (~5sec) to deactivate. The touchscreen controls are now embedded in the time bar when in the Video OSD. It will appear as an additional strip along the top of the existing time bar. The controls in the video OSD are slightly altered. There is no play/pause button (because this functionality already exists by clicking the icon on the time bar) and I added left and right buttons for comskip support. The forward and close buttons have been completely removed as they weren't really useful anyway.

I decided to leave the transport controls in because they are useful when playing music if you are in a different menu. Let me know if you want the vol +/- and mute buttons added in.

I guess that's about it. Please let me know if this one is any closer to what you guys are looking for. Thanks.

Aloha,
Mike
Attached Files
File Type: zip touchscreen_alpha_0.3.zip (354.0 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by MeInMaui; 02-24-2008 at 10:45 PM.