SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question Alligning channels with XMLTV data?

I'm re-installing SageTV and have a problem. I'm using latest SageTV and use XMLTV as EPGDATA source.

The EPGDATA.XML contains the station names and EPG info. When I activate my Hauppage PVR-150, how can EPG channel names be linked to actual channels frequencies? I got the names, but all linked to wrong channels? I guess they are assigned in order of dedected.

And where is all this stored? In the registry? In the Wiz.bin?

I tried to re-assign channels to names, but no luck. However, that may be caused by VISTA's new security setup. However, to get grips on that, I do need to understand what SageTV is supposed to do.

Jan
Old 04-15-2007, 03:37 PM
SageTVaholic

You need to go through channel setup, and remap the channel to the correct physical channel numbers.

You can then remap the logical channel setup to have the channels in your preferred order.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

I tried that, but had some problems with it. I was wondering if it was caused by this new VISTA security setup (I had to do some other special settings to get all working).

I did manage to get the channels ok at end, however I did install SageTV in another directory to do so (where UAC security is less strickt). It's probably me having done something wrong the first time, but I'll have to do some tests (lengthy re-setups) to analyze.

Do you know where the data linking channels and channel frequencies is stored? If I would know that, I could:
- better understand if it's UAC related or not
- see if I could extract that data to speed up future installations

Jan
Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis View Post
Do you know where the data linking channels and channel frequencies is stored?
It's all in the sage.properties file.

Quote:
If I would know that, I could:
- better understand if it's UAC related or not
- see if I could extract that data to speed up future installations
If may be related to UAC. The sage.properties file is in the C:\Program Files directory. So any attempt to modify this file without elevation : the file will be virtualized in your App Data\Local\VirtualStore directory. But the file should normally stay in here and be read from there (well unless you use SageTV as another user).

You could also consider to use my XMLTV Importer as you do not need to remap your channels in SageTV with it, instead you setup all your channels from within the Importer channel editor (well except for Digital channels when you need to do a scan with SageTV at least one to get the frequency .frq file as you'll need the channel numbers of this frq file to correctly edit the channels in the Importer).

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

How could I have missed that in the properties file. I must get to analyze these properties files in more detail.

But now I'm surprised by the 'complexity' how it is stored, I'm sure it's simple once you understand.

epg/channel_lineups/867507149=871,24;989,22;2784,18;4430,4;4453,33;4719,8; ....
epg/lineup_overrides/867507149=50650,4;20997,11;19135,20;32231,7;55355,12; ....
epg/lineup_physical_overrides/867507149=50650,4;20997,11;55355,12;32231,7; ....

My guess is that 867507149 the identifier of the TV card is. But I'm not getting the structure of the other info, is this documented somewhere?

Regarding it to be an UAC problem, not sure - it may have been me. I recently got my VISTA, and am testing (once done, I'll have to reinstall all). I had all working in the default install (worked out the VirtualStore etc.), only the channel move did not work (but again, may have been me). And I refuse to take the easy way out and put UAC off (I believe it is not a bad security concept).

Currently, I re-installed Sage not under Program File but in its own directory C:\SageTV. All is now together in one place, as before, but the UAC protection is weaker of course. I'll probably try again in the default location (but maybe start SageTV with Admin token when I want to change the channels).

Will give your importer a go, does it manipulate the properties files directly?

I remember that when I started with SageTV, I was told to put the freq order in the registry file (use the MS DirectX9 TV configuration option). So that's out of the door!

Thanks for the info given.

Jan
Old 04-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis View Post
epg/channel_lineups/867507149=871,24;989,22;2784,18;4430,4;4453,33;4719,8; ....
epg/lineup_overrides/867507149=50650,4;20997,11;19135,20;32231,7;55355,12; ....
epg/lineup_physical_overrides/867507149=50650,4;20997,11;55355,12;32231,7; ....

My guess is that 867507149 the identifier of the TV card is. But I'm not getting the structure of the other info, is this documented somewhere?
Don't think it is documented. 867507149 is the lineup ID. For 871,24 : 871 is the channel ID, 24 is the channel number (physical). And it's better to not have some lineup_overrides and lineup_physical_overrides because well they are overriding the lineup (changing logical numbers and/or physical numbers)

Quote:
And I refuse to take the easy way out and put UAC off (I believe it is not a bad security concept).
UAC is a good thing : it will force every software dev. to think about security / usability. When you look at some software you can really doubt that the dev. have read and understand guidelines (I'm the first one to not follow them so I can speak ). The only thing that is wrong with UAC, it's the virtualization : why do they virtualize files in the Program Files into a user directory is beyond my comprehension, they should have virtualized this into a "all users" directory...

Quote:
I'll probably try again in the default location (but maybe start SageTV with Admin token when I want to change the channels).
I maybe wrong but if you use SageTV with the SageTV Service then it should be fine (and in this case Virtualization does a good job because the sageclient.properties will be put in a user folder and that is the way SageTV should have done it in the first place )

Quote:
Will give your importer a go, does it manipulate the properties files directly?
No it doesn't need to (except during setup for registering the plugin). The correct lineup is simply transmitted to SageTV. This way you only have to configure your channels in SageTV only in the Importer (the only drawback is that you have to know the physical channel number for your channels).

Quote:
I remember that when I started with SageTV, I was told to put the freq order in the registry file (use the MS DirectX9 TV configuration option).
Only if you wanted your channels not to be sorted by their physical numbers. This doesn't make any sense for US users, so that's why channel ordering is non existent in US product. But now with SageTV you can choose a logical channel number (I don't use it personally I don't mind having only the physical number)

Regards,
Stéphane.