SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

View Poll Results: If you upgraded to 6.x (latest) please comment only on basic DVR fuctionality:
Delighted 66 77.65%
Displeased, regressed to earlier version 1 1.18%
I'm tolerating for the moment, may regress 18 21.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Sage Icon

Poll: V6, the good and the bad

Assuming we hear mostly about the bad for SageTV software v6.x, let's see what the consensus is (for those of us that are WAF-sensitive).
Old 04-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Sage Icon

Overall, very happy.

WAF is high especially with MVP performance.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Overall, very happy.

WAF is high especially with MVP performance.
Yep, likewise.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

MVP's work great, and placeshifter has been a lot more reliable
Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 AM
SageTVaholic

HD recording is more stable. HD transcoding to MVP is great.

B
Old 04-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Sage Expert

I was originally NOT going to reply to this thread because even though I generally like 6.x, there are still some things I wish were better. However, I saw the OP's statement in another thread regarding a comparison between 5.x and 6.x, and I thought I'd chime in.

IMO, 6.x is pretty much the same as 5.x (from a usage perspective).

Granted, I think there's a lot of stuff that went on under the hood to make 6.x. more stable, and there's some new paint and features, but it still does what it does, and it does it well.

Stu
Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

As a first time user of Sage. Very impressed with capabilities that sagetv has, and what it COULD do. With the random stuttering and unable to stream HD like media center can (but I hate media center secondary dvr-ms), I am slightly, slightly displeased, but at the sametime happy that I found a new friend.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Sage User

SageTV V6

I am still on V4.12. Have been a user since 2.x. Don't use extenders or placeshifting, nor HD.. (OTA NTSC)... For my purpose, a simple PVR device with dual tuners (used solely by my wife), what are the major benefits to upgrading to 6.18? Are there major improvements for my simple needs? or is it just more stable and pretty? I need to retain the WAF.

May not be the best forum to ask this, but hey, it goes right along with happiness with v6.

thx,

-osarika
Old 04-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by osarika View Post
I am still on V4.12. Have been a user since 2.x. Don't use extenders or placeshifting, nor HD.. (OTA NTSC)... For my purpose, a simple PVR device with dual tuners (used solely by my wife), what are the major benefits to upgrading to 6.18? Are there major improvements for my simple needs? or is it just more stable and pretty? I need to retain the WAF.

May not be the best forum to ask this, but hey, it goes right along with happiness with v6.

thx,

-osarika

If most of the following are true...
a.) your current setup is stable
b.) you are happy with current setup
c.) none of the new features like place shifter, extender, HD, Google Video, revised music and imported video interface, etc look particularly interesting to you
d.) WAF is very important
e.) you don't have time/patience to experiment if things go wrong

...I would recommend that you don't upgrade.

But, if you like to tinker or some of the new features look interesting, give it a try. Also, if you think you might want to try some of the new add-ons, custom STV's, etc. you will probably want to have a recent version because many new add-ons won't work with older versions.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Sage User

SageTV v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
If most of the following are true...
a.) your current setup is stable
b.) you are happy with current setup
c.) none of the new features like place shifter, extender, HD, Google Video, revised music and imported video interface, etc look particularly interesting to you
d.) WAF is very important
e.) you don't have time/patience to experiment if things go wrong

...I would recommend that you don't upgrade.

But, if you like to tinker or some of the new features look interesting, give it a try. Also, if you think you might want to try some of the new add-ons, custom STV's, etc. you will probably want to have a recent version because many new add-ons won't work with older versions.
Current setup has been rock solid, and wife is VERY happy. I think I am going to leave it.. it took a week or so of tinkering with everything on 4.12 to get it where it is. Don't wanna upset my better half.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Sage Icon

would be nice to know the risk of doing a fall-back, if necessary, and in real terms, such as getting "wiz"ed on while doing so.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Sage Icon

I think, Sage is still the best product on the market. And with the HD extender I'd put in a league of it's own.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Sage Icon

Poll results so far are good news
Old 04-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Sage User

upgraded from 2.2 to 6.1.x and LOVE IT. i guess it was a massive upgrade, but for 40 bucks it was so worth it. i also have a wireless MVP which i had some config issues with on my network, but it was resolved quickly and the entire house is LOVING it. def a great improvement. slick UI, faster response times, and MUCH better quality. the team did a great job on it.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

2 Main features keep me loving V6

1) MVP support is fantastic.
2) AAC support finally implemented.

Stabilitywise I find it more reliable then v5 and can run over 1 month without even a single crash/hang. (I tend to force a reboot around 1 month for safety sake.)

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Sage User

V6.1 fixed all of my issues I had with Sage. (i.e. Some DVD's not working on MVP) I am extremely satisfied. Imagine if you had paid 27k for a kaleidescape! Suckers!!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Sage User

Pretty good but I hear there's better

SageTV V6 is pretty good. Technical support is a bit sparse, but eventually comes through (I have personal experience). Only bad thing I can say (outside of technical support - sparse, remember?) is I had to turn off 3D capability in video rendering to keep the software from locking up. I've seen no degradation in image quality, so I'm not complaining. Just figured I'd through it out there to show it's not perfect. But, what is?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Sage User

I came to sage about a year ago wanting to port my music database to my living room and although at times frustrating, have had a fantastic experience. As all PVR users know it totally changes your viewing habits for the better and we now love the feature of listening to our favorite music while our family photos are in the slideshow, that alone is worth the price of admission, which by the way didn't seem to work well until v6.

Another benefit of the software, and community is the definite feeling of being on the foreskin of technology. Watching the sausages getting made is priceless. It's not for everyone but for some an incredible experience. Thanks Sage!
Old 04-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenlj View Post
Another benefit of the software, and community is the definite feeling of being on the foreskin of technology. Watching the sausages getting made is priceless. It's not for everyone but for some an incredible experience. Thanks Sage!
I'm not sure I'm comfortable being on the foreskin of anything Especially not when sausages are involved.

I feel a little dirty now
Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Sage Icon

wish we had more poll voters so the results could be arguably more statistically valid. See top of this thread.