SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

A SageTV alternative (or not)

Check this out,

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet...e/Detail?no=13

Ken C
Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Sage Expert

Look at the bottom of that page. That's a MythTV System.

Sounds great except for a few things...

too expensive
I need extenders. I don't watch TV on one TV. I watch TV on 5 TVs.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ouch, $3,400? I don't see that flying off the shelves.

Also agreeing with the requirement of MVPs.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

And we all know how useful those touchscreens are from the easy chair 10 feet away ...

Ken C
Old 04-23-2007, 11:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Though.. their first entry is 499..

B
Old 04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
And we all know how useful those touchscreens are from the easy chair 10 feet away ...

Ken C

What's wrong with that? I've got a 12" touchscreen on an arm next to my recliner. I use it to control not only SageTV, but my whole AV stack: 7.1 receiver / 2 S-VHS / 2 301 DVD changers / 8in 4out AV matrix / 2 Digital Cable boxes and whole-house distrubition of TV-Audio-Video. For my Home automation: Dim-brighten lights / open-close mini blinds and drapes turn on-off fans/ set timed events. The entire system uses MainLobby as a frontend with HomeSeer controlling the HA and an Ocelot PLC for virtual remote control/ IR distribution/security and watchdog.

YEA that works!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

Why would someone pay so much for a MythTV system in a pretty case? If I were to go back to running MythTV it sure wouldn't be to buy some premade box - which is generally the same thought shared by a lot of linux folks.

For ybrew - MythFrontend can be used as an "extender" for a pc - so Myth does support clients. I'm pretty sure that the MythTV Frontend port to the Roku Photobridge has at least made it to the working beta stage.

This is all going to become moot once everthing starts going more digital, it'll come down to Windows Vista and applications that support the digital tuners like cablecard or Directv/DishNet tuners. That could possibly leave only mce.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
SageTVaholic

mvp support for myth http://www.mvpmc.org/
Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
What's wrong with that? I've got a 12" touchscreen on an arm next to my recliner.
On an arm next to the recliner is a long way from across the room on the front of the HTPC. I bought an expensive HTPC case with a digital display thinking this is cool. Of course, I can't read it from the recliner. So, it got turned off

But, maybe, Envy is trying to go back to an earlier time, before remotes, when you had to get up and walk over to the TV to change channels.

Ken C
Old 04-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post

Cheaper for me to build 3 HTPC than to buy that one on your link it's a bit pricey..
Old 04-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
It certainly is a nice case
I use my touchscreen almost every day and wouldn't trade it for anything.
It's very misleading that they have Windoze MCE in the pictures but MythTV in the specs. I suspect they make these when someone orders one. The profit margin on them is really high so as to be assured they make money regardless of hardware price flux.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknubic View Post
It certainly is a nice case
I use my touchscreen almost every day and wouldn't trade it for anything.
It's very misleading that they have Windoze MCE in the pictures but MythTV in the specs. I suspect they make these when someone orders one. The profit margin on them is really high so as to be assured they make money regardless of hardware price flux.
Small thread hi-jack here:

Do you have your touchscreen setup so that you can turn it off when using Sage via a TV/pj or do you just dual display it?

I've been looking at a case like yours for my PJ so I don't have to turn it on to play music. Just did not know if I could get it working like I want.

thanks,
Old 04-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post
Small thread hi-jack here:

Do you have your touchscreen setup so that you can turn it off when using Sage via a TV/pj or do you just dual display it?

I've been looking at a case like yours for my PJ so I don't have to turn it on to play music. Just did not know if I could get it working like I want.

thanks,
You'll love the case unless your sending out resolutions higher than 720p. If you have a 1080p projector then you would have to find a work around to having two different resolutions. VERY beautiful case!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post

Exactly. I use it for listening to music.
I've been looking at using Ultramon to clone the SageTV interface at a different resolution on the smaller monitor. I'm waiting for Polypro's assessment before I drop $40 but for now it's WinAmp.
Click on the case in my sig to be taken to a "2 minutes in notepad" web page I made.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Sage Icon

Oooops I was able to make what by buddy wanted to do, work with just the nVIDIA drivers. "Dual View" with the 19x10 TV as Primary, and the 8x6 Touchscreen as secondary with "Extend My Desktop..." WMP 11 opens on the secondary screen at start up, while Sage is up on the primary w/VMR9-FSE. Sage looks like it would be a better touchscreen music app, but WMP11 is ok. I got him a Logitech VX Mouse in case his fingers are too big

(Any good touchscreenable music players out there?)

P

Last edited by Polypro; 05-01-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Oooops I was able to make what by buddy wanted to do, work with just the nVIDIA drivers. "Dual View" with the 19x10 TV as Primary, and the 8x6 Touchscreen as secondary with "Extend My Desktop..." WMP 11 opens on the secondary screen at start up, while Sage is up on the primary w/VMR9-FSE. Sage looks like it would be a better touchscreen music app, but WMP11 is ok. I got him a Logitech VX Mouse in case his fingers are too big

(Any good touchscreenable music players out there?)

P
Make your own skin for WMP. Make the buttons as big as you want

B

Or try this one http://customize.org/wmp/skins/31040

Last edited by bcjenkins; 05-01-2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: used google
Old 05-03-2007, 03:18 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks.

P