SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Considering buying an MVP!

I want access to recordings, ripped DVDs and my music library in the bedroom of my apt which has an old 27inch SDTV.

I've love to build a client PC, but money isn't where it needs to be and I can't justify upgrading my server(hooked up to HDTV) yet.

I need this to be able to transcode HD recordings(fusion OTA and HDHomerun OTA and QAM) to be playable on this SD set and playback the ripped DVDs. Does the current MVP do this well?

Secondly, is buying the MVP through Sage the best/cheapest option here? It seems like a good price for the combo of a client license and MVP.

Thanks for your input.

Bryan
Old 04-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Sage Icon

The MVP is best thing for your SDTV, better than a PC client in terms of picture quality and overall stability.

For HD transcoding, your SageTV server is doing the work, so make sure its powerful enough. I'm not even sure how powerful it must be, but I think at least something better than a Pentium 4 if not the latest Core 2 Duo.

Buying through SageTV is the best deal if you don't already own an extender license. And remember, the extender license also doubles as a placeshifter license. Of course, you can only connect one client at a time.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'd definitely go for it. I've been using a MVP for my main room and its been great - with one small caveat. If you need to transcode you'll need some horsepower on your server to do this. If you want to use the server as a client box as well i'd have thought you'd want a dual core.

Last edited by Alfiegerner; 04-26-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: dang got beaten to it.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiegerner View Post
I'd definitely go for it. I've been using a MVP for my main room and its been great - with one small caveat. If you need to transcode you'll need some horsepower on your server to do this. If you want to use the server as a client box as well i'd have thought you'd want a dual core.

Thanks for the reply. The server is an athlon 64 3200 with 2 gig ram. I record as much as I can in HD because I've got the HDTV and the ability to play it back. I think the MVP would be used rarely in conjunction with playback on the server.

I want this mostly for watching a recording just before bed, or being lazy in the morning on a weekend. Also I REALLY want to be able easily access my music library. Having access to online DVD playback is a nice perk too. As much as I'd like to upgrade to a flat panel in the bedroom, I can't justify it at this point.

Is there any difference between buying an MVP from Amazon(I have some coupons) vs. buying from Sage?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Sage Icon

I doubt that the Athlon 64 3200 can do it without some serious oc'ing. My e4300 C2D needs to run at least at 2.1Ghz to do this (supports two threads/MVP's though).
Old 04-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbig119 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The server is an athlon 64 3200 with 2 gig ram. I record as much as I can in HD because I've got the HDTV and the ability to play it back. I think the MVP would be used rarely in conjunction with playback on the server.

I want this mostly for watching a recording just before bed, or being lazy in the morning on a weekend. Also I REALLY want to be able easily access my music library. Having access to online DVD playback is a nice perk too. As much as I'd like to upgrade to a flat panel in the bedroom, I can't justify it at this point.

Is there any difference between buying an MVP from Amazon(I have some coupons) vs. buying from Sage?
The Athlon64 3200 might not be powerful enough, but when you get the MVP, set the quality to Standard instead of high and it should reduce the CPU usage down quite a bit (Detailed Setup > Server).

You can buy the MVP from anywhere and get the license from SageTV. Its the same unit as SageTV with exception of different firmware depending on when it was made. But they all should work with SageTV.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Sage Icon

I think transcoding Standard quality will work for you.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Sage Icon

How about transcoding H.264 video but not HD?
I ripped my DVDs into Nero Digital Cinema AVC at about 800kbps with 2 channel AAC audio at 40kbps.
A typical 90 minute movie ends up about 550MB and look great.

Is the transcoding of these smaller H.264 files much easier on the CPU than HD files from QAM or HDHomeRun?

I have an AMD X2 4600 with 2GB of ram and I do use the Server as a client and want to replace a client PC with an MVP Extender. Would I be running into trouble? Would the picture quality be horrible?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well for better or worse I just ordered an MVP. Hopefully I'll be able to get stutter-free playback.

I realize the Athlon 64 3200 is pushing it, but the longer I can hold off on upgrading, the better the upgrade will be when it comes. I'm hoping that I can wait another year or so until the whole HD-DVD/Bluray dust cloud has settled and hardware for good playback is clearcut and doesn't cost a premium.

Thanks for feedback.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Sage Icon

I have done transconding (standard quality) for a while with my late AMD Sempron 3000+. While high quality is noticeably better than standard, chances are you will be disappointed. The MVP just can't do it.