SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Mad Props to Sage for HD on MediaMVP

I have to give out some mad props to the Sage crew on the ability to play HD on the MVP's via transcoding. I just upgraded my server after hearing such great things about this new ability. In fact I hadn't even upgraded to 6.x until about a couple weeks ago when I finally decided to take the plunge since my old server with its Athlon XP 2200+ just wasn't powerful enough to even bother using the transcoder (wasn't even worth transcoding HD videos in not-real time). I can honestly say it takes a decent processor. My e4300 at stock speed (1.8Ghz) was not really upto the task. At 2.4Ghz, it is doing great though (no voltage increases, and doesn't even break 40C even at full usage).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 04-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Sage Icon

Think an AMD 3200+ could handle it? I just dropped the $$ on an HDHR and a bluetooth keyboard (just in case) at pcalchemy.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Sage Icon

I doubt it.-
Old 04-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Sage Expert

My 3200+ handles it fine....watching HD on MVP that is...

Where mine slows down is when I try to record an HD program and at the same time watch an HD program on the MVP.

I assume its the processor that's not powerful enough, although possibly could be hard drive access...(but, I think processor)

Gary Ellis
Old 04-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

So far I am doing better with transcoding with the latest version of Sage. Although it takes a good amount of time to build up to a solid stream, it seems like there is a problem with getting the buffer built up. Anybody know if the transcoding buffer can be increased? Then it would work great.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Sage Icon

Transcoding in Standard quality was working even with my Sempron 3000+. But for carefree High quality you need much more. I'm running my e4300 on demand, right now, meaning it's not going to oc more than 20% (IIRC) which has proven to be just enough - and my server is recording 24/7 HD and whatnot. Recently my wife mentioned that one show on CBS did not play ok. I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, though - so, maybe for the e4300 it could 2.4Ghz.

Last edited by flavius; 04-29-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
Transcoding in Standard quality was working even with my Sempron 3000+. But for carefree High quality you need much more. I'm running my e4300 on demand, right now, meaning it's not going to oc more than 20% (IIRC) which has proven to be just enough - and my server is recording 24/7 HD and whatnot. Recently my wife mentioned that one show on CBS did not play ok. I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, though - so, maybe for the e4300 it could 2.4Ghz.
I got my MVP installed last night, and did some quick testing of it last night. I've got it connected to a server/client which as a 3200+ cpu which I'll hopefully be upgrading to a x2 3800+ because it was cheap and I'm worried about HD transcoding. From what I noticed, I was able to get smooth playback of HD material but it took a few seconds to buffer up. The interface was a little sluggish, but that may be the network response. I have the setting set for standard. I'll be happy to report what effect the upgraded CPU has on all this, but for $79, its well worth it since these prices probably won't go much lower on these last 939 CPUs before supply dwindles and the prices will climb on them.

The best part of the whole thing is that my SD recordings never looked so nice!! Most of the time I watch them on my HDTV and they look crappy.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I would definately consider upgrading to the 3800 if you are using your sage server as a client also. Obviously if you are transcoding on a single core, that wouldn't leave much "left" for the Sage server to act as a client. The MVP's continue to amaze me. Yes they are definately a little more sluggish than my full clients, but for the price, I couldn't be happier. I use High Quality and I swear the HD looks amazing considering the underpowered nature of the MVP's. Now I just need to get an HDHomerun.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Can you guys post your various relevant settings? I just bought an E6600, dedicated to SageTV server (no playback), will be putting a database server on it shortly but not yet.

As per my other thread, I'm currently having an issue where I get no video at all on my MVP for HD recordings, even ones i just made.

I've checked the Video decoder, transcoding quality, VMS vs overlay, 3D accel, not sure what else to try.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Sage Icon

mixed results...

got it all working yesterday. took about 30min on the server after a test run on a spare machine. didn't want to hose the main unit ya know. i think i can even get the music choice channels to work; haven't mapped them on the server yet.

found out that i need more muscle on the system I've either got to try overclocking or upgrade the mobo/cpu. can't do 'live' HD via the MVP w/o stuttering, and it's real bad on a 17" crt on the server. i never realized upscaling was so much easier on the hardware than processing 1080i.

are there any settings i can tweak to help on the MVP? i already have quality set to standard.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
Can you guys post your various relevant settings? I just bought an E6600, dedicated to SageTV server (no playback), will be putting a database server on it shortly but not yet.

As per my other thread, I'm currently having an issue where I get no video at all on my MVP for HD recordings, even ones i just made.

I've checked the Video decoder, transcoding quality, VMS vs overlay, 3D accel, not sure what else to try.
Have you switched to the latest version of Sage. With Sage 6.1 (i think that's the version)..."TS" files no longer work. I figured this out because I had some HD recorded as "TS" files and they would not play at all on the MVP, when I went to the new version. However, when I recorded HD in PS format, they played just fine to the MVP.

Gary Ellis
Old 05-06-2007, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda View Post
got it all working yesterday. took about 30min on the server after a test run on a spare machine. didn't want to hose the main unit ya know. i think i can even get the music choice channels to work; haven't mapped them on the server yet.

found out that i need more muscle on the system I've either got to try overclocking or upgrade the mobo/cpu. can't do 'live' HD via the MVP w/o stuttering, and it's real bad on a 17" crt on the server. i never realized upscaling was so much easier on the hardware than processing 1080i.

are there any settings i can tweak to help on the MVP? i already have quality set to standard.
I think Standard is the only "tweaking" that can be done. I don't think the Athlon XP's are upto the challenge and I doubt you can get much of an overclock out of that 3200 (Isn't that the fastest AMD ever pushed the Xp line?). I think for it to work, you would really need to step up to the Athlon64's or better.

Just my .02 worth.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
overclock out of that 3200 (Isn't that the fastest AMD ever pushed the Xp line?). I think for it to work, you would really need to step up to the Athlon64's or better.
Just my .02 worth.
that's what I found out last week when I was checking . i haven't looked at my board specs to see if it will OC the xp.

now I REALLY REALLY REALLY need an HD mvp.

Edit: is it normal for FF/RWD not to work on HD on the MVP? skip still works.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

I have been transcoding standard quality HD with a AMD Sempron 3000+ for quite a while - what else is going on on that box? Are you running Sage in service mode? Are you running any expensive STV extensions?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
I have been transcoding standard quality HD with a AMD Sempron 3000+ for quite a while - what else is going on on that box? Are you running Sage in service mode? Are you running any expensive STV extensions?

Isn't the Sempron 3000+ a socket 756/939/AM2 with the integrated memory controller? The Athlon Xp 3200+ is socket A without the integrated memory controller. I don't know if I have seen a comparison between the two in a long time, but the integrated memory controller makes a huge difference in performance.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Sage Icon

hope we haven't hijacked the thread.... anyway.

i can transcode to the MVP as long as the show has finished recording. just not 'live.' i hate to drop the $$$ (about $400) on a new mobo/cpu/ram and the HD extender show up the next week. though we probably will be lucky to see it this year let alone Q3.

heck, I could drop $$ on a card and use the RGB on the TV w/ one of my spare sub-2gig boxes. WAF would suffer and I don't have the time at home anymore to tweak the extra hardware for a pc remote. the only way I've managed to justify expenses so far is tivo's (i know, i know) HD box is $800.

enough belly-aching from me. I'll just work through as best I can til Sage gets things ironed out w/ their extender or my boss coughs up a bonus check.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis View Post
"TS" files no longer work. I figured this out because I had some HD recorded as "TS" files and they would not play at all on the MVP, when I went to the new version. However, when I recorded HD in PS format, they played just fine to the MVP.
Gary Ellis
How did you switch to PS? The web server is showing the timed recording I just made is in TS format.

Edit: Found it; though webserver still shows "mpeg-ts". digital music works fine on the server if you wait for the next image change; no go on the MVP.

Last edited by hemicuda; 05-06-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Isn't the Sempron 3000+ a socket 756/939/AM2 with the integrated memory controller? The Athlon Xp 3200+ is socket A without the integrated memory controller. I don't know if I have seen a comparison between the two in a long time, but the integrated memory controller makes a huge difference in performance.
Hm, my Sempron is a 756..
Old 05-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Sage Icon

it's official... i'm back to square one waiting on the HD MVP. "standard" quality from the SD MVP has a big 0 WAF even though it's widescreen. I just don't have the horsepower to handle 'high' quality transcoding.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Sage Icon

It's less than two month before Q2 is over - I'd need at least two HD extenders.