SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Sage Icon

External Speakers

Here's my question: suppose I have two speakers outside and I want to hook the computer up so that music or anything else plays through those speakers. Right now, I have to use computer speakers (or any with an adjustable volume control that plug in) and then cut one of the speaker wires and attach that one wire to the outside two speakers which actually then is playing in mono. Also, because they are outside I have to adjust the volume but then it plays really loud inside and I have to then adjust the balance. There's got to be another way. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Radio Shack should have a cheap speaker A/B switch.

you could use a multizone reciever.

Those are just two ideas.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure you got what I meant. I was confused in that it seems like with a regular stereo system you just hook speakers in the back. But, with a computer, it seems like there are additional electronics with the speakers (a built in volume control and a plug). Ideally, I would like to hook up the speakers outside (already wired and waterproof speakers from Costco) so that with the computer I could easily choose either inside, outside or both.

Mike
Old 05-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Sage Icon

If you had 2 sound cards, one for the inside and one for the external speakers, you could select which card plays.

The way I got mine setup though is through my AV Receiver's A/B switch.

The PC's audio goes to the receiver, from their I select A if I want the internal speakers to work or B if I want the audio to play only through the external speakers.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:17 PM
SageTVaholic

You will have ot use some type of receiver/stereo that accepts audio inputs. You can't just hook the out door speakers to your computers as those external speakers are not powered. All computer speakers have a built in amplifier to power the speakers. Your sound card is not an amplifier. I have an audio server that has 7 different zones and I use 4 different sound cards to output to those zones. I just tell my audio server which zone I want to play (such as living room or deck) and it uses the correct output of the correct soundcard to either the receiver in that room or to a cheap stereo amplifier if it is driving say my deck speakers.

P.S. What you are inessence doing right now is using the amplifier in your computer speakers to drive one of those speakers on the deck. I would NOT do this. You could seriously damage your outdoor speakers or your computer speakers as I am not sure that computer speakers use the same power ratings/ohm's etc as what is needed to drive "normal" speakers.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter

Last edited by paulbeers; 05-06-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Sage Icon

So if I correctly understand everything, it sounds like the best thing to do is use a stereo receiver. Then I would run the audio out on the computer to the Aux In on the stereo correct? Next, I would simply attach the outside speakers. But, I'm now wondering if I can attach the speakers from the TV to the receiver's out or if I have to get a separate set of speakers for inside. Ideally, I would like to use the speakers from the TV so I don't have to deal with yet more space for a separate set of speakers and also I would have to deal with figuring out a way to adjust the volume on the receiver with the remote.

If I can't hook the TV speakers to the receiver then could I use a splitter from the computer's sound card line out?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hey Mike...
Lets start with some basics. There are two types of cables that typically carry audio signals. You have "high level" and "Low Level" cables. Low level signals are just audio signals and are before the signal is amplified. High level signals are already amplified. TYPICALLY you will see High level cables (which you know as speaker cable) that run from the amplifier directly to the speaker, they are just bare wire on each end (usually), and plug or clip into the speaker.

Low level cables are things like RCA cables, Coax cables, and even HDMI cables. The signals carried over the low level cables will not power speakers, thus the connectors will not plug into the back of speakers. These cables are meant only for connecting one audio device to another (usually a tuner to an amplifier). The output from a PC sound card is a low level signal.

So you might be looking at your speakers saying "but my speakers have an RCA input, you are clearly wrong." The fact is that most PC speakers have small amplifiers in them (usually 4 to 7 watts). So in effect the signal is traveling from one lowlevel device (the Tuner in the sound card) and another low level device (the amplifier in the speaker).
Old 05-07-2007, 04:17 AM
Sage Icon

Right - I understand that. But, I'm wondering if you all adjust your volume through your receiver and if so, are you using a remote control?

That's why I'm thinking maybe I can split the computer's line out so that it goes to both the receiver (for outside speakers) and the TV (for inside speakers). I don't want to have to deal with adjusting the volume from the receiver when watching TV (inside).

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
Right - I understand that. But, I'm wondering if you all adjust your volume through your receiver and if so, are you using a remote control?
You could adjust volume from your receiver or through the HTPC. To adjust volume from the HTPC, just put the volume on the receiver a little louder than average listening level and bring the level back down using the HTPC.
How do you currently adjust the volume?

Quote:
That's why I'm thinking maybe I can split the computer's line out so that it goes to both the receiver (for outside speakers) and the TV (for inside speakers). I don't want to have to deal with adjusting the volume from the receiver when watching TV (inside).

Thanks,
Mike
You could use a splitter like you said but I would not recommend it.
Purchase a A/V receiver with multi zones (zone 1 for inside, zone 2 for outside, ect..).
Purchase some speakers (passive, non-powered)to replace the TV speakers.

Post here after your purchase :
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...highlight=cost

But to answer in your question in a "nut-shell". You need a receiver to power those passive outdoor speakers.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Sage Icon

Currently I'm using HIP with the USB-UIRT. It's not great at "repeats" and I didn't want to have to press the button multiple times to adjust the volume so I have it set to just use the TV to adjust the volume.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Sage Icon

Well I got everything working well with two zones. My AOpen shuttle computer has a "front" and "read" sound card jack. However, one thing I can't figure out is when I bring up the Volume window and go to properties to display the front and rear volume there seems to be no way to control the two separately through the computer. Front seems to control everything and no volume slider controls the front or rear separately. It's not a real big deal because I'll just use my stereo receiver to control the volume but it did have me curious. I know I correctly installed all the drivers that it came with so it has me a little puzzled.

Thanks again for all the help,
Mike
Old 05-10-2007, 05:08 AM
SageTVaholic

If you have multiple outputs (front and rear), they are generally the same output, so they can't be controlled seperately (its virtually nothing more than a splitter at least in my experience). You would have to use seperate sound cards or special sound cards that let you control their outputs seperately.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Sage Icon

All motherboards now come with built-in Audio. There's usually Speaker-out (Green), Line-In (Blue), and Mic In (Red). The problem is most of them don't include a LINE-OUT port. Most sound cards you buy will have Line-out, which is a separate line from speaker out and is actually better for connecting to stereo receivers. If your receiver has optical inputs, then thats another option to connect your PC > Receiver > Outdoor speakers. That's assuming your motherboard has optical out, most do.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.