SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

V6 Playing DVD's from the HardDrive

I recently upgraded from my old V5 to the newest V6. Everything went ok except I've got one issue I didn't have before. I can't play DVD's from the Hard Drive properly now. I'm using Power DVD by Cyberlink. If I load up the PowerDVD application I can open the dvd's just fine. If I don't put the dvd files in a "Video_TS" directory so sage just seems them as individual files it will play any one of the .vob seperately. However, once I put them in a Video_TS folder and it's recognized as a DVD Sage just errors out with the "Problem rendering Video Stream" error message.

I've tried specifiying Sage Decoder, Cyberlink Decoder, and Default (my only 3 options). Since Power DVD works fine, I'm not really sure where to go from here. What's can I do now? I really don't want to buy a new DVD software considering this one should work, and works outside of sage just fine.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Sage Icon

Ever think about just converting the DVD's to mpeg4 files? On huge advantage is that they are about 1/10 the size of DVD's with about the same quality. I've never had a problem with mpeg4 files but I've yet to successfully get Sage to even play any DVD at all (even ones not copied to the drive but the real DVD's).

Mike
Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

eh I'm not really looking for a way to work around this. I'm looking to make it work like it should. I've got a DVD player downstairs and I use it for DVD's but if I want to rip something to watch on my client I don't want to have to convert it to another format.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Guess I'll submit a suport ticket about this then. Is there anything more useful I can provdie with it? Would turning on the error log I've seen talked about help for a simple can't render file error?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't really know what to suggest, I've got a couple hundred DVDs on my server and haven't had any problems playing them in Sage in ages (running 6.1 currently). You do have all the files right? These aren't "partial" DVDs are they, you've got video_ts.ifo/vob plus all the vts_01_1.ifo/vob/etc right?

And Mike and I have agreed to disagree on the utility of transcoding them

Last edited by stanger89; 05-08-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Sage Icon

To solve your problem - I'm wondering have you tried checking the Video and Audio Renderer and selected DEFAULT for those to make it work?

Regarding the advantages of mpeg4 (and I realize you may not want a workaround but to me it is more than that as there are many many advantages which I will list).

First, I lost you there about playing it on the client. I have all my DVD"s converted to mpeg4 format on my file server so that I can watch them on any client. For me there are several advantages as follows:

1. Backup is quick and easy since DVD's do not last forever. Movies average around 600mb. I backed up over 700 movies today in under 90 minutes.

2. DVD's take too long to load. Also, I got sick of the fact that some DVD's that you buy nowadays force you to watch a preview every time you insert the DVD.

3. It's much faster to scroll through the program than with a DVD.

4. Convenience - I don't have to look for the DVD which could be in any client, upstairs, downstairs or YES several were even scattered in my kid's room and everywhere else in the house. Kids don't seem to remember to put things back so they always get misfiled.

5. Convenience - I can easily stop the movie and Sage remembers where I left off just like any other video.

6. Even if your DVD's are on the hard drive, they will take longer to backup but I won't fight you on it as some will argue that they want the full dolby effects of DVD so that is one advantage (but I think you can get that with mpeg4 you just don't get the same compression advantage).

Good luck on the rendering idea I proposed and I hope it works for you. After trying that if it doesn't work, try reinstalling the Power DVD.

Mike
Old 05-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

WHat are you using to convert your DVDs to MPEG4?

Karen
NVidia GeForceX 5700
Hauppage WinTV PVR-350
1 TB Hard Drive space
Old 05-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch5 View Post
I've tried specifiying Sage Decoder, Cyberlink Decoder, and Default (my only 3 options).
Are you sure you're doing this in the DVD section rather than the Video section? I use Cyberlink and it works well.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes I'm positive it was in the DVD section. I re-installed PowerDVD the other day and no change. I used PowerDVD before I upgraded with no issues and infact it seemed to be the best decoder for me.

I'll check the file structure again to make sure there arn't any missing files (lost in the HD transfer maybe?). There are 3 different DVD's I've been testing with though and I believe all 3 do this now. If it was a problem with the files wouldn't the PowerDVD application also choke on it?

There isn't any way to get any better information out of the error is there? "Error rendering video stream" or whatever isn't very useful. I mean I can see that lol

Thanks for the suggestoins. I'll double check them all again and let you know if I get anywhere in the next couple of days. I really am stuck so whatever anyone can think of I'll check it.

Last edited by Arioch5; 05-09-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator

I don't know why it would be able to even see the file if you didn't do this, but just to double check: did you check all the permissions after the upgrade? If using service mode with network paths, the service will need to be reconfigured to log in as a user w/a password who has permission to access those network paths.

Debug logging might provide more info.

And, this isn't on an MVP, is it?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

nope not on an MVP. In fact I've only been trying this on the server since the upgrade. I'll make sure all the bells and whistles on the clinet work once the server is set in stone.

So It's a server (not in service mode) trying to play DVD's off it's local hard drive. Hum... wonder if I have thoes drives linked via UNC or drive letters. You know I'm not sure on that. I'll double check what the import folders and such are linked as, also, I'll make sure the folders are properly shared. I guess it could be possible that it's trying to play the DVD via a UNC bath but showing up in the browser via the local hard drive? I'll look into paths just to see.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just so you know you are not alone. I am having the same issue as you. I have over 100 DVD's on my hard drives. They used to work fine and now in ver. 6.1.9 they no longer work. And I have no desire to convert them to MPEG4. I want them as full DVD. I just want it to work the way it did before.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300