SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD Video Rendering

I've tried to serach the forums but I'm not sure what to look for really. Maybe it's well covered and somone can just tell me what it is this 'effect' is called. I'm currently recording HDTV with a HDHomerun. My videocard is a 7600GT running the newest drivers.

When I watch HD content I've stated noticing video errors specifically on panning. I want to call it interlacing problems but I'm not sure. The easiest way to describe it is if you drag a window (Horizontally) on an LCD monitor and see the Vertical Edges of the window become choppy. Hence the reason it's very visible during panning where the camera is following one person. Any Vertial Lines in the background become choppy.

I'm no expert but I tried installing FFDShow and turning on the 'deinterlace' option. I believe it cut down on the problem, but at the same time the picture backame much less clear and I felt like it was slowing the video at times (though it was hard to say for sure). Maybe I just need to try different deinterlace algorithims (FFDshow has quite a few options here).

Does anyone know what I'm talking about seeing? I don't see this issue just running the cable straight from the built in HD tuner in the TV. It would be nice if somone can identify what I'm seeing. Put a name to it or something.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Fastrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch5 View Post
I've tried to serach the forums but I'm not sure what to look for really. Maybe it's well covered and somone can just tell me what it is this 'effect' is called. I'm currently recording HDTV with a HDHomerun. My videocard is a 7600GT running the newest drivers.

When I watch HD content I've stated noticing video errors specifically on panning. I want to call it interlacing problems but I'm not sure. The easiest way to describe it is if you drag a window (Horizontally) on an LCD monitor and see the Vertical Edges of the window become choppy. Hence the reason it's very visible during panning where the camera is following one person. Any Vertial Lines in the background become choppy.

I'm no expert but I tried installing FFDShow and turning on the 'deinterlace' option. I believe it cut down on the problem, but at the same time the picture backame much less clear and I felt like it was slowing the video at times (though it was hard to say for sure). Maybe I just need to try different deinterlace algorithims (FFDshow has quite a few options here).

Does anyone know what I'm talking about seeing? I don't see this issue just running the cable straight from the built in HD tuner in the TV. It would be nice if somone can identify what I'm seeing. Put a name to it or something.

Thanks

From what your saying your seeing Stutter. The steps in this thread solved my problem.
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...ghlight=solved

HD is very hardware demanding. The steps in the thread should work.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, I saw that thread and was thinking the "stutter" refered to pausing in the video playback. But if what I'm seeing qualifies as sutter also, then there's a wealth of info on the forums

Maybe I'll give the purevideo decoder a try, I do have the hardware for it.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks, I saw that thread and was thinking the "stutter" refered to pausing in the video playback. But if what I'm seeing qualifies as sutter also, then there's a wealth of info on the forums

Maybe I'll give the purevideo decoder a try, I do have the hardware for it.

Now when using the Purevideo decoder I have seen a video appear to be split about 1/3 up the screen that makes the video look like 2 different pieces. But that could be an encoding error.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Now when using the Purevideo decoder I have seen a video appear to be split about 1/3 up the screen that makes the video look like 2 different pieces. But that could be an encoding error.
You are experiencing "tearing". Nvidia cards typically have this problem when not running in FSE. Make sure you turn it on!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMajor View Post
You are experiencing "tearing". Nvidia cards typically have this problem when not running in FSE. Make sure you turn it on!
I'd heard that term before however I couldn't remember it And I've only seen this when using Windows Media Player or Sage not in FSE.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

O'rly? I don't believe I was running FSE before, though I'm almost postive I tried turning it on. Now the question is would that require a reboots (or atleast a restart of sage) to take effect. I wonder if I just flipped it on didn't see a difference and turned it back off.

I'll give FSE a shot with the decoders I've got (sage and FFdsow) and then give the purevideo decoder a try on the trial download. Hopefully one of those will make it go away
Old 05-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Talking

Quote:
O'rly? I don't believe I was running FSE before, though I'm almost postive I tried turning it on. Now the question is would that require a reboots (or atleast a restart of sage) to take effect. I wonder if I just flipped it on didn't see a difference and turned it back off.

I'll give FSE a shot with the decoders I've got (sage and FFdsow) and then give the purevideo decoder a try on the trial download. Hopefully one of those will make it go away
Yeah FSE requires a Sage restart in most cases (not the service) just the front end. To test if you have Sage in FSE, press the Windows Key and it will minimize to the taskbar (you'll have to reopen it as it doesn't always initialize properly after that).
Old 05-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

You should run sage in FSE mode with VMR9 and 3D acceleration enabled. Buy nvidia purevideo Bronze decoders. Set the interlacing to smart. In the driver, switch to advanced mode and in the video section, adjust video color settings there is an enhancement tab, and enable Inverse Telecine. This will eliminate all Interlacing and tearing problems. Tearing is because you are not in FSE and interlacing problems is becasue you are running software deinterlacing and not hardware purevideo deinterlacing. Your 7600GT is a great HTPC card and can handle high def material with all the extras turned on.

HD is not demanding on hardware, it is demanding on the person who sets it up. I can run mpeg2 HD on my nvidia FX5200 and athlon 1Ghz no problems, you just have to set up the settings correctly. Yes, the picture is overlay and uses software deinterlacing, but it plays fine.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy View Post
I can run mpeg2 HD on my nvidia FX5200 and athlon 1Ghz no problems, you just have to set up the settings correctly. Yes, the picture is overlay and uses software deinterlacing, but it plays fine.
I am currently using an FX5200 as well. Care to share your specific settings and tweaks for getting this card playing HD smoothly? Thanks!
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 09-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enormous View Post
I am currently using an FX5200 as well. Care to share your specific settings and tweaks for getting this card playing HD smoothly? Thanks!
Oh, that was awhile ago. I since replaced that card with a 9600XT to get VMR9. From what I remember, I was on a 720p display, using Nvidia Purevideo decoders hardware accel on, smart interlacing, FSE turned on, and overlay rendering using the DVI output to the DVI input on my TV. HTPC was an Athlon XP underclocked to 1ghz and 1.2V. VMR9 just didn't work well on that card even on my old analog TV at 480p. The only thing I am not sure about was the FSE so you can try playing with that. I used this setup for only a few months before I got the 9600XT so I could use VMR9. Now I use a PCI-e 7300LE card and athlon64 3200+.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy View Post
From what I remember, I was on a 720p display, using Nvidia Purevideo decoders hardware accel on, smart interlacing, FSE turned on, and overlay rendering using the DVI output to the DVI input on my TV. HTPC was an Athlon XP underclocked to 1ghz and 1.2V. VMR9 just didn't work well on that card even on my old analog TV at 480p. The only thing I am not sure about was the FSE so you can try playing with that.
Thanks for the tips. I would really like to upgrade to a 7600GT (stuck with AGP ), but I'm waiting to see what the HD extender looks like when it drops.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 09-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

FYI (from http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070904PD209.html):
Due to continued demand, particularly from Internet cafe and emerging markets, for AGP-based products, Nvidia is scheduled to launch an updated bridge chip which supports the company's newer GPUs in October, according to sources at graphics card makers
I've never had much luck getting VMR9 to work, even with my current somewhat current rig, but had no problems watching 1080i signals on my 1080p display with a 6600 and a P4 2.4G using PureVideo in overlay. FSE always seemed to give me more problems, so haven't used that either. I had to upgrade my 5200 when I started getting OTA HD signals. That was a long time ago, though, so don't remember all the details.

I'm holding off on any more updates (hard as it is) until the HD extenders come out. I hope they appear soon!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
Due to continued demand, particularly from Internet cafe and emerging markets, for AGP-based products, Nvidia is scheduled to launch an updated bridge chip which supports the company's newer GPUs in October, according to sources at graphics card makers
That's still great news, since I'll probably want to do something with my existing hardware in the future. Thanks for the link!

My guess (as I'm sure others have also guessed) is that the HD extender will show up at the end of the current beta cycle. Which should be soon considering that RC3 had such a short set of changes!