SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Sage User

Talking SageMC on SageTV Mac (yup!)

Just wanted to let all you STV3 haters out there (you know who you are) that it *IS* possible to get SageMC (v6.3.2) running on a SageTV for Mac v6.2 installation.

It took some trial and error, but here's where things get put:

Place in: /Applications/SageTV.app/Content/Resources (use "Show Package Contents")

/JARS/(contents of JARS)

Place in: /Library/Applications Support/SageTV/Data

BasicSyatemMonitor.dll
/com
/DVDPro2Sage
sagemc_menu.xml
SageMenu.dtd
/STVs/(contents of STVs)
SystemMonitorJNl.dll
SystemMonitorPlugin.class
/ui_elements
Weather.dll
WeatherMonitorJNl.dll
WeatherMonitorPlugin.class

So far it all seems to be working as well it does on my Windoze server. If anyone (mlbdude?) notices anything grossly incorrect please let me know.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Nice job

I'll have to try that out on my mac just for fun.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 01-26-2008, 02:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Okay, this thread is kind of old, but I'd like to try to bring it back to life. Just the thread title itself should get Mac SageTV users excited. The original post most probably applied to Mac OSX 10.4 Tiger, and an earlier version of SageMC.

I read in another thread that currently SageMC will run on 64bit Macs with Java6 only, so I downloaded javase6dp8.dmg from Apple Developer Connection and installed it on my 64bit Mac Mini Core 2 Duo. Then I downloaded sagemc_6_3_6b_full.zip and unpacked it. I turned off SageTV Server in OSX system prefs, then followed all of the instructions given by wkoperwhats above, and immediately ran into some issues.

First, there is already an existing STVs folder at /Library/Applications Support/SageTV/Data/STVs. It is not clear in the instructions whether to write over that folder with the STV folder in the SageMC installer, or just to add the SageMC files to the existing SageTV STVs folder. I opted to add them without erasing any of the existing files.

Then I restarted my mini and opened SageTV. I went to Detailed Setup>Advanced and changed the SageTV Application Package to SageMC_169.xml. It opened up with the SageMC menu text/buttons that I recognized from screenshots, but there was nothing other than white menu text on a black background. There was no other interface graphics, so it was very hard to navigate thru the menus. I was looking for a way to maybe change the theme, but I couldn't puzzle it out. I ended up rolling back to my saved default SageTV app package and my Data folder backup copies.

I've scoured both the SageTV Mac threads and SageTV Customizations, but can't really find anything concrete beyond the instructions above. Has anybody gotten any further than this?

Thanks in advance.

MB
Sony SXRD-A502000
Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual OTA Tuner
2TB My Book External Firewire

Last edited by mcbrems; 01-26-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 AM
SageTVaholic

You need to make sure that SageTV (service or whatever it is on the Mac) get completely shutdown so that the new jars files that is part of the SageMC install get reloaded.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrems View Post
I turned off SageTV Server in OSX system prefs, then followed all of the instructions...
Sorry Big Gerr, covered it already. Thanks for the help.

I'm thinking that since the interface seems to be working, that the java code is good. The issue seems to be that the graphic assets are not being seen. Possibly the directory path to the pngs is wrong in the layout XML, or the pngs are in the wrong folder.

Gonna check on that.

MB
Sony SXRD-A502000
Old 01-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

So I got the iSage and the Meekell STVs to work in OSX without any jumping thru hoops. I just unzipped them into my Applications folder, pointed to them in SageTV Detailed Setup>Advanced>SageTV Application Package, and they opened right up. So easy. I figured I was just making the SageMC install harder than it needed to be, so I tried the same method.

Unfortunately, the same behavior again- white button text on a black background, and no other graphics. Then I figured maybe at least I needed to load the jars into the SageTV package contents (stopped the Sage Server in System Prefs beforehand). Results were even worse. Text would not refresh, and layers and layers of white text were piling up in the SageTV window until it was impossible to tell what menu was displaying.

Thoughts anybody?

MB
Sony SXRD-A502000
Old 03-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

I followed these instructions and it worked for me.

Here is what I did:
  1. I downloaded and installed Java 1.6 from ADC
  2. I downloaded the latest SageMC full install package
  3. I copied the contents of the JARS directory to /Applications/SageTV Client/Resources/Java/JARs (you have to right click and select show package contents to get to this directory)
  4. I copied all the other files in the zip file to /Machintosh HD/Library/Application Support/SageTV/Data
  5. I restarted the sage client and it all worked

as part of the second last bullet, I made sure that I copied the contents of the zip file: STVs/SageTV3 to Data/STVs/SageTV3. I am not sure if the Mac behaves the same as windows in that if I copy a directory with the same name, will it merge the directory contents like Windows or does it replace the directory??? So I played it safe.

So now, I am running with SageMC on my Mac Sage Client.

Greg

Last edited by gveres; 05-12-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

BTW, I wish it was easier to find this thread! It seems there is very little information around on applying customizations to the mac version. This post helped a lot

Greg
Old 03-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Rock On!! I'll try this when I get home tonight! Thanks!
Sony SXRD-A502000
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gveres View Post
I followed these instructions and it worked for me.

Here is what I did:
  1. I downloaded and installed Java 1.6 from ADC
  2. I downloaded the latest SageMC full install package
  3. I copied the contents of the JARS directory to /Applications/SageTV Client/Java/JARs (you have to right click and select show package contents to get to this directory)
  4. I copied all the other files in the zip file to /Machintosh HD/Library/Application Support/SageTV/Data
  5. I restarted the sage client and it all worked

as part of the second last bullet, I made sure that I copied the contents of the zip file: STVs/SageTV3 to Data/STVs/SageTV3. I am not sure if the Mac behaves the same as windows in that if I copy a directory with the same name, will it merge the directory contents like Windows or does it replace the directory??? So I played it safe.

So now, I am running with SageMC on my Mac Sage Client.

Greg
I didn't find any app called "SageTV Client." All I have is a SageTV (.app) in my applications folder. The path to the Jars folder was:
/Applications/SageTV/Contents/Resources/Java/Jars

I copied and pasted the contents of the sagemc_6_3_7a_full install Jars folder into the existing SageTV.app Jars folder listed above, leaving the original existing JAR files in place.

I also followed your advise and next manually copied (added) the contents of the SageMC/SageTV3 folder into my existing SageTV3 folder, leaving the existing files in the target folder in place.

Then I copied the remaining files from the installer Data folder into the SageTV/Data folder (I didn't copy the JARs and STVs folders over, since they were addressed above).

Restarted SageTV, then went to Detailed Setup>Advanced, and loaded the SageMC_169.xml file.

For the first time, IT WORKED!

Now I can start playing with other SageMC themes. WooHoo!!

MB
Sony SXRD-A502000

Last edited by mcbrems; 03-05-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Sage User

Just some additional comments...

Seeing as I started this whole madness almost a year ago now I felt it was time to chime in:

My original post was indeed on a G4 running Tiger and obviously things have changed since. Here are some slightly modified install instructions that I've come up with for those of you wanting to get this running under 10.5 (Leopard).

1. As far as I can tell, the latest beta of Java 1.6 *only* runs on 64-bit capable intel Macs (not all intel Macs are necessarily 64 bit capable), but it is not needed. The version of Java that ships with Leopard (J2SE 5.0) will work just fine.

2. Download and unzip the latest SageMC full installer.

3. Right click on either the "SageTV Client" or just plain "SageTV" (server) application, chose "Show Package Contents" and browse to "Contents/Resources/Java/JARs".

4. Copy the *contents* from the unzipped "sagemc_6_3_7a_full/JARs/" directory into here. Be sure not to just overwrite the directory as much required stuff will be lost.

5. Browse to "Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/SageTV/Data"

6. Copy everything else from "sagemc_6_3_7a_full/" to here *except* for a. the previously used "JARs" directory and b. the "STVs" directory.

7. Browse to "Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/SageTV/Data/STVs/SageTV3/"

8. Copy all the contents from within the "sagemc_6_3_7a_full/STVs/SageTV3" directory here.

Restart the Sage server or client and set the STV to "SageMC_168.xml". Do *not* download the latest SageMC xml file as it will *not* work unless you've been able install the beta Java 1.6 runtime.

Please guys, throw Nielm et. al. some money and include this (or something very similar if you're scared to piss off M$) in the Sage distribution. Unless you make your interface an order of magnitude simpler (not prettier, simpler), all the time and money you've spent porting this to Mac OS X is going to be a waste.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkoperwhats View Post
Restart the Sage server or client and set the STV to "SageMC_168.xml". Do *not* download the latest SageMC xml file as it will *not* work unless you've been able install the beta Java 1.6 runtime.
FYI, I believe flachbar rebuilt the SageMC jar files for the latest version (v6.3.7a) so that they are again compatible with java v1.5+, specificaly for Mac compatibility.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 03-17-2008, 08:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
FYI, I believe flachbar rebuilt the SageMC jar files for the latest version (v6.3.7a) so that they are again compatible with java v1.5+, specificaly for Mac compatibility.

Aloha,
Mike
Yep, that's right. Should work now with 1.5

Dirk
Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar View Post
Yep, that's right. Should work now with 1.5

Dirk
Yup they do work with 1.5.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Sage User

My bad..

I downloaded and tried the "latest development build" and ran into problems, hence my cautionary note. But I just noticed that the xml file included in 6.3.7a is newer anyway. Maybe "latest" is relative
Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

INSTALLING NEW MAC SAGETV VERSIONS OVER EXISTING MAC SAGEMC

INSTALLING NEW MAC SAGETV VERSIONS OVER EXISTING MAC SAGEMC

Close Sage and close Sage Server in Sage system preference pane.
Rename existing SageTV in application folder (SageTV_BU works)
Drag new SageTV rev from disc image into application folder
Open package contents of both new and old renamed versions of SageTV
Open the SageTV/Contents/Resources/Java/Jars folders in each finder window
Copy the following files from the OLD SageTV into the NEW SageTV Jars folder:

activation.jar
df_sageutils.jar
log4j.jar
mail.jar
mailcheck.jar
nielm_getrssnews.jar
nielm_sageimdb.jar
nielm_sagemenureader.jar
nielm_sageutils.jar
sagemc.jar

Open the new SageTV application.
SageTV will put you through the setup process, but all settings will default to your last correct values
When finished, SageTV will open to the default SageTV STV
Navigate to Detailed Setup, and select Advanced Settings>SageTV Application Package
Select SageMC_169.xml

Enjoy.
Sony SXRD-A502000
Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Can't get it to work

Hi everyone. I tried a few times to get SageMC installed on my SageTV Mac installation. However, each time I applied it, I would only get a black background with some white text on it. I was unable to navigate any of the menus or use SageTV in any way after applying SageMC.

I downloaded the latest version of SageMC and followed the detailed instructions in this thread to get the files in all the right places. I even upgrade my JVM to the latest version to see if that would help. No luck.

Do I need to installed sagemc_6_3_7a_full and then use the upgrade process in the above thread to get this to work on my MAC? I was unable to find a download or live torrent for sagemc_6_3_7a_full.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Does anyone have any fixed for this? I too am having the same problems. The mac version is sweet now (mkv works fine for me for once), and I just need sageMC! Plus I need someone to teach me how to make seperate video directories (e.g. one that is pin word protected, and one that is not)

thanks
Mo
Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Sage User

Anybody successfully using the new SageMC 6.3.8a on a Mac? If so, which Java version does Sage report using?

I've installed the latest Java update, and put 1.6 at the top of the priorities list in the Java control panel. Sage still using 1.5. The latest SageMC apparently requires 1.6.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Java 1.6 on Mac is only 64-bit Don't know why Apple hasn't released it for 32-bit.

If we could get SageTV compiled for 64-bit lots of people would be happy.

B