SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 AM

What to buy

Hello

I receive TV from Sat, DVB-T & Analog (I know it's a mess :-)
I am looking for a solution where
1) I could watch any the channels (sat, analog, dvb-t) using same SW
2) record any of the channels
3) have EPG service of Sweden & France
4) Broadcast any of the Live TV stream on my Lan or better on the internet (a la Sling or Sony Location free)

I have found this Hauppage card
WinTV-HVR-4000 (analog, DVB-T, DVB_S)

Does any of the Sage SW will help me to do what I want and will it work with this mega combo Hauppage card.

I think I would need a media extender as well.

PS: can we run several TV card at the same time

Please help me

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Sage Icon

I don't know about Sweden/France specifically, but in my opinion, you can do exactly what you're asking for here.

1) Sage will show every available channel to you in one EPG and if you like, you can remap channel numbers and names for greater transparency.

2) As long as the capture card can capture the video and Sage supports the capture card, no problems here.

3) Again, I don't know if Sage has EPG service supported there, but there is the XMLTV importer.

4) You can watch the captured files freely within your LAN, the Internet, etc and there's no DRM. The files are saved as MPEG2 (sometimes MPEG4 if your capture device supports it). I don't know of anyone using a Sling or the Sony service, but Sage has the Placeshifter that might work for you if those don't.

Someone will have to speak on the compatibility on DVB capturing, I think DVB-S is being worked on and I think DVB-T is OTA/ATSC here in the US. I assume when you say Analog, you mean DVB-C or analog cable? If I'm right, I can say that analog and DVB-T are supported, if Sage is compatible with the WinTV-HVR-4000. DVB-S support may have to come in the form of the MyTheatre plugin for now.

As far as the media extender, I have two Hauppage MediaMVPs and those work quite well. They're only SD extenders, so HD content is transcoded to an MPEG bitrate that the MediaMVP can handle.

Yes, Sage can capture from more than one capture source at a time. I currently have four personally, but I've heard of people running eight.

Hope this helps, and that I don't have any mis-information (always double-check things...).

[edit]
I don't see that card listed:
http://www.sagetv.com/requirements.html?sageSub=tv
[/edit]

Last edited by KJake; 06-01-2007 at 04:53 PM.