SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Sage User

Dlink DGL 4300

i decided to start another thread to see how people have setup this router with wireless MVP. i am having nothing but problems so any help is appreciated.
My router says its connected and just cant get an IP. I cant find anything in the log that says it even tried to connect.

Haupage support wasnt much help other than to try a different router.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Sage Icon

good advice. Esp. with D-Link
Old 06-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Sage Icon

That combination works fine here (MVP Rev2.05). After owning several netgears routers, this D-Link compares well to quality netgear products - if you can find them these days.

itons, you could post your router config pages or send them to me. Did you try putting the MVP next to the router?
Old 06-16-2007, 07:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Not wireless, but my Gamers 4100 has no issues with new or old MVPs handing out DHCP.

Here's some items to try:

In the config, under DHCP server, do you have always broadcast checked?

What do you have for NAT Endpoint filtering under firewall?

b
Old 06-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Sage Icon

I own this router but I don't have a wireless MVP. I bought this router because at the time, it was the only router with both wireless G and gigabit support. I don't know how people can expect to get reliable performance from wireless G, especially with SageTV. Even with laptops and desktops sitting close to the wireless router, I still get weak and drop signals once a while. And its not just this router, the same problems exist in other common brand name wireless routers. I think its just too much interference from other sources, which is the common negative aspect of wireless technology. Maybe wireless N is better, but I haven't tried it yet.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Sage Icon

If you live in an urban area, 2.4GHz is getting pretty messed up with WiFi, cordless phones, analog cameras, etc. I live in a town house and can detect six or so SSIDs but I have zero problems with disconnects running 11g connections to sage for std def. I don't have 2.4GHz cordless phones. My sage server also does a disk image via 11g every few days without problems.

I do have things arranged to have a strong signal with lots of fade margin.
Router is old Linksys WRT54G v2 with DD-WRT. Sage is on a laptop with a Netgear 11g PCMCIA card.

due to the crowding, folks doing streaming media should do so on 802.11a, 5.8GHz. More channels. More speed now, with 11n products coming out for 5.8GHz. I don't know how the 5.8GHz cordless phones affect things. Perhaps depends on what channels you choose.