SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Sage User

Another Meedio Convert With Questions

Hi All,

I've first got to say that Sage looks great and appears to be developing well....but I've got a few questions

First, I've seen lot's of discussions about this but after trying everything I'm not sure what to do - Sage loads into RAM at about 20-30mb but keeps growing to over 300mb. I've tried rolling back from 6.1 to 6.0, I've checked my Java version, I don't know what else to try. This seems like a huge amount of RAM to use????

I'm trying to better understand the music library (being a meedio convert I'll bet you saw tha coming). It seems that everytime I launch Sage the music library is rebuilt. I have over 35,000 tracks (all meticulously organised) so this is a hugely time consuming process. Have I missed somewhere where I can stop this happening and just have Sage use the library it has previously built?

I've seen posts to the contrary, but is my music library simply too big to be reasonably responsive? I get the wheel thingy everytime I try to scroll down more that about 3 rows in one go.

Thanks all for their hard work in Sage - I'm using SageMC with the Apple TV STV and it looks great!

Regards,

Garmpe
Old 06-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmpe View Post
It seems that everytime I launch Sage the music library is rebuilt. I have over 35,000 tracks (all meticulously organised) so this is a hugely time consuming process. Have I missed somewhere where I can stop this happening and just have Sage use the library it has previously built?
The music info will have already been imported into the database, but when you load SageTV & want to access your music, it still has to load the music info from the database into memory.

BTW: if your music collection causes memory issues, try increasing the Java heap size, mentioned in this post.

Quote:
I've seen posts to the contrary, but is my music library simply too big to be reasonably responsive? I get the wheel thingy everytime I try to scroll down more that about 3 rows in one go.

Thanks all for their hard work in Sage - I'm using SageMC with the Apple TV STV and it looks great!
I have no idea how SageMC handles music, but the biggest issue when scrolling through the music collection will most likely be displaying the thumbnails. Haw large is your album art? If you have very large thumbnails, it takes longer to load them.

The default STV will be doing more to delay displaying thumbnails until after there has been no input for a short time. This speeds up scrolling because just the text info can be shown w/o having to immediately load & display a thumb for each music item. (I just can't remember how much of this was done in v6.1.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Sage User

Andy,

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I'll need to re-try the default stv and see if that speeds up my browsing.

Thanks again,

Garmpe
Old 06-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

there's always using meedio for media and sage for tv -

I have it setup this way and it works great!

Launch my shows from meedio directly to Sage - seamless
Old 06-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGrayMatter View Post

me too!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
BTW: if your music collection causes memory issues, try increasing the Java heap size, mentioned in this post.

- Andy
Andy, should this be set on both the server and the client or just one or the other? I don't have 35,000 songs but I do have thousands of photos and it is very slow and non-functional at times.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
Andy, should this be set on both the server and the client or just one or the other?
I would guess both, since they both will be usnig the database, but I've never had to change it. I guess if it is a problem on both, change it on both.

Quote:
I don't have 35,000 songs but I do have thousands of photos and it is very slow and non-functional at times.
Depending on the problem you are experiencing, this could be due to loading thumbs every time you scroll, like I said above. You can have it generate all the thumbnails beforehand in the photo browser options menu, and the photo browser should delay thumb loading/display while you are moving around. I just looked & the v6.1 STV should be doing this.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker View Post
me too!
me three!

Meedio still handles music better than Sage..
Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGrayMatter View Post

Boy, it sure would be great if someone did a step by step guide for this....hint...hint.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Sage Icon

You mean kinda like the ones given by myself and UFGraymatter over on the MeediOs forums They probably aren't really step by step, but if more people are interested, I'd be willing to put more energy into it. We never really posted anything detailed over here as we didn't want it to seem like we are slighting Sage in any way.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Sage User

I'd be very interested in a guide. I have bought SageTV without testing it properly and while I agree it's a great product, it doesn't suit my needs as I'm more interested in the music than than the tv - I can't remember the last time I recorded or even wanted to record a tv show but if I had a solution that worked like SageTV does I might change my behaviour.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker View Post
You mean kinda like the ones given by myself and UFGraymatter over on the MeediOs forums They probably aren't really step by step, but if more people are interested, I'd be willing to put more energy into it. We never really posted anything detailed over here as we didn't want it to seem like we are slighting Sage in any way.
Well, I for one would be VERY interested. Meedio is great for everything but TV..Sage takes it from there. The two together are awesome. Meedio is still alive and well, a detailed guide would help the overall community tremendously. A guide could only do good and would help the, well lets call us "the less programmer types" achieve our HTPC dreams too. Thus letting the community grow even more.... Gosh, I feel like I'm running for public office!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Sage Icon

Okay, gimme a few days next week to get one put together. The trickiest thing is there are a few ways to do it depending on you overall needs, I'll try to cover them all.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Sage User

Thanks guys. I've already rebuilt my htpc and reinstalled meedio but I'm keen to utilise the AUD100 I spent to get SageTV. I really appreciate everyone's help with making the most of the two systems.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

sweet - i've kinda laid back on the SageTV implementation w/ TVNight - but w/ more dual users it would be nice to see what I can do..
Old 06-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Sage Icon

I like to see a step by step tutorial also. Kricker, can you post links to your posts on the Meedio forum?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

here is a clip that i've had on youtube for a long time showing the integration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lkRd9C3Mng

It has been even better since we have a new importer for Meedio that imports all the episodes into Meedio.

Then TVNight shows the episodes w/ Pics and Series info and such..

And w/ MeePlay2Sage when you play an episode it launches in Sage. I use the Webserver for this - it is seamless...
Old 06-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Sage Icon

Ok, here are some threads linking to plugins written for Meedio to help with the Meedio Sage integration. Hopefully this will get some of you started as I figure out how best to write the guide.

http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456
This plugin allows Meedio to play files directly into Sage. You will no longer need the importer in this thread, use the one in the next thread. Why do this? Well, some people might like Sage's player better than Meedio's.

http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=648
If you want to bring the Sage Recorded TV database into a Meedio library, this is the importer you will probably want to use.

http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605
http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627
A module and importer for Meedio, that is specifically for browsing your recorded/archived libraries of recorded TV. The importer connects to the OnlineTV Database to retrieve information about your shows. This is very useful if you DL TV shows as well as retrieving info about shows recorded in Sage that do no have all their info for some reason.

Some of these plugins do need some more things done to them as UFGraymatter and myself have been sidetracked by other things once we each got things working in a way that was good enough for us ATM. My setup is a bit different than UFGraymatter's in that I have one menu item in Meedio that takes me to SageMC's recorded TV screen. My 'guide' button on my remote is set to take me to the TV guide in Sage either from Meedio or Sage. I use the TVNight module to browse my Meedio 'archived' TV library (Do not confuse this with archived shows in Sage). The goal when UFGraymatter and I started this was to make Meedio a Sage client, complete with TVguide and favorite management, we just haven't gotten there yet.

Last edited by kricker; 06-23-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Sage User

well, thanks guys. Much appreciated. Now I will have to figure it all out. I've been using Meedio for a few years now and it is the best for music and organizing DVD 's ect. I wish I could use MeedioTV but every time I try the video and audio get out of synch. I have tried all the codecs and nothing seems to work so it's on to SageTV. If only Sage and Meedio were one. Wouldn't that be great.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Sage User

Red face Couple a questions

Hey

Any news on a guide?

I've gotten to where I can import my recordings from sage into a meedio library using SageTV Recordings Importer. Actually it imported shows I don't remember recording, but that's another question. Then I installed the TVNight module and set it to look at the library imported by the SageTV Recordings Importer. Also, installed MeePlay2Sage. I go into Meedio and click on TVNight icon and I go to a list of 4 shows. Here is my question, when I click on a show a sub menu comes up and I click on PLAY. That takes the screen directly to the Sage main menu. Is that the way it's suppose to work? I was understanding that by clicking on the show in Meedio and then clicking PLAY in the sub menu I would go right to and into (start playing) the recording.??? Let's get this straight in my head then I have more questions like how to use like how to setup TVNight Importer (totally confused). I have tried and tried, but I must be doing something wrong (obviously).

Oh, one more thing. I don't get any pictures showing up in Meedio when I go into the TVNight section where my list of shows are. Isn't there suppose to be banners and such?

Last edited by MiGster; 07-06-2007 at 05:55 AM.