SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 PM
SageTVaholic

notebook drives for sage

Is anyone using a notebook, or laptop 2.5" drive as a system drive to
cutdown on noise and heat? If so, serial or ata, and any
recommendations would be appreciated (especially regarding noise and size needed to do the job).

Is it best to just run the system software, or are people running things like photos and mp3 files from 2.5" drives in addition to apps (I would still use a larger 3.5" for Sage recordings).

cheers
Old 06-19-2007, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

I've used a 40GB notebook hard drive in one of my full clients. I have never tried it in a server. I would image it would be okay, but I am not sure if you will really notice a reduction in noise if you are also running full size hard drives with it.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Sage Expert

I used a 40gig laptop drive in a multimedia system for a while. The one thing that I would suggest is to be careful of the adapter. I had a VERY CHEAP laptop HDD to ATA converter. I think that this cused the laptop HDD to fail due to badly soldered connections. It did noticeably cut down on the noise though. it was just a pain when the system went down and I didn't have FULL system backups.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Sage Icon

I have a notebook with an internal drive and two external USB2 drives. All are quiet. The internal 2.5 inch drive is setup with two partitions: a small one for booting Windows and a larger one formatted at 64K clusters as are the USB2 drives, for video. I don't know but suspect that the I/O speed of that 2.5 inch EIDE drive is as fast as or faster than the USB2 drives.

This all works OK, for simultaneous recording and viewing via the laptop's S-video out, and running one Sage PC client via an 11g, 22Mbps net speed WiFi connection to the home LAN from the laptop.

No HD though.

Last edited by stevech; 06-19-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmgranger View Post
I used a 40gig laptop drive in a multimedia system for a while. The one thing that I would suggest is to be careful of the adapter. I had a VERY CHEAP laptop HDD to ATA converter. I think that this cused the laptop HDD to fail due to badly soldered connections. It did noticeably cut down on the noise though. it was just a pain when the system went down and I didn't have FULL system backups.
as an update to making a new system (old thread), has anyone had further success using 2.5" drives in Sage systems, either as the system drive or storage drives? My concern would be the constant data writing and 24 hour-on situation - are the little drives up to it in the long haul? My case is limited to two 3.5" drives.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
as an update to making a new system (old thread), has anyone had further success using 2.5" drives in Sage systems, either as the system drive or storage drives? My concern would be the constant data writing and 24 hour-on situation - are the little drives up to it in the long haul? My case is limited to two 3.5" drives.
I am not sure what else you are looking for? It seems we all gave you our experiences. Several of us have used notebook hard drives as OS drives in clients. This would be the same as running a Sage Server/Full Sage install OS drive on a notebook hard drive, so yes it has been done and if you have to it would be fine. I use notebooks as Desktops at work and at home so their drives are just as good for daily use with no issues, BUT as you stated you are still going to 3.5" drives for Sage recordings so as I stated 4 months ago, I don't know how much quieter your system is going to be because the other 3.5" drives will still be loud.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
I am not sure what else you are looking for? It seems we all gave you our experiences. Several of us have used notebook hard drives as OS drives in clients. This would be the same as running a Sage Server/Full Sage install OS drive on a notebook hard drive, so yes it has been done and if you have to it would be fine. I use notebooks as Desktops at work and at home so their drives are just as good for daily use with no issues, BUT as you stated you are still going to 3.5" drives for Sage recordings so as I stated 4 months ago, I don't know how much quieter your system is going to be because the other 3.5" drives will still be loud.
thanks - I guess my counting is off - I see your last entry was 28 months ago, not four, at least in this thread. Drive technology can change quite a bit in 28 months, hence my asking for an update. I imagined someone else might have chimed in who hadn't before, but thanks again anyways.