SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Client issues. shuttering frames on wireless lan not wierd lan

I set up a new 802.11g network at my home. When I use my laptop to access the sage client with a wierd lan, it works fine. As soon as I connect my wireless usb netgear adaptor I start to get shuttering on both live and prerecoded shows. I checked to see the transmet speed and they are well in the low levels. I just bought this setup about 3weeks ago.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

What a coincedent. I just put in a netgear 54G router and a 54G USB network adapter for a client machine as well. I expereinced the exact same problem you are describing. I also checked by hooking the client up directly via wire to the network and playback was fine. The computer client I have has a PC Card slot (like the ones generally for laptops). I put a linksys 54G PC Card adapter in it and it worked fine.
I believe that the problem with the USB adapter is when I used it the CPU usage went up to 75-95% which caused the choppy video. I am still playing around with what quality to record at to reliably send over the 54G network. Right now I think it is 2.5G/Hour setting.

Try running the USB network adapter and check your CPU usage. If it is very high, try another type of 54G card.

Hope that helps.

Darin
Old 01-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Sage User

The problem is probably the USB port.
USB 1.1.is only 12Mb/s max. (about as fast as 802.11b)
USB 2.0 is 480Mb/s (plenty fast).
Old 01-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

The machine I am using has USB 2...

Darin
Old 01-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well, all I have on my system in USB 2.0 so I know that is not the problem. The latest and greatest is that I will be watching a show and all the sudden it will go into slowmotion sound and video. The only way to fix it is to reboot the client. I check cpu usage durring this issue and it is around 35 40% spikeing 5 10% durring video motion. Only happen once and a while and always at diffrent times. Never with my server though.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Sage User

Just becuase your computer is USB 2.0 does not mean that the device is USB 2.0, but I did look at NetGears website and their adapter is USB 2.0 complient. From reading the posts is sounds like your getting drop out. This happens frequently with 801.11b/g this is due to the fact that it runs in an open frequency range with many other devices (phones, etc....). Most likely you are getting noise from other devices and this is causing your network speed to temporialy drop. This will cause studdering. You're only real recourse is to try different channels.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

You may also want to check that the router is not set for both 11b & 11G because this will reduce the bandwith. I have the same router and mine works fine.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for both of the replies. It is set to both b and g. I will try setting it to just g. I will also try different channels in case of interference.

Trevorst, what is your recording quality set at. I was hoping to set it to 3G/hour.

Thanks again.

Darin
Old 01-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

I use 2.5 Cig per hour DVD Long Play and have been very happy with the PQ. No problems with streaming on the 11G but did have some problems when it was set to b/G.