SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 06-29-2007, 08:01 PM
SageTVaholic

iPhone Mania

Man... Anyone else bother wasting time with ATT? After I stood in line for 3 hours, they sold out (2 hours early and it took them forever to sell phones. They were running full credit checks). I got there two hours early, met some new folks from the office though and it was cool. Good news was the Apple Store was stocked and there was no line, although there was one 300+ when it opened. Only took them 90 minutes to clear it out. Lot's of hype, it'll be interesting to see if it is worth it.

B

Last edited by bcjenkins; 06-30-2007 at 04:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

can you post your experience in a few days? would like to see if the hype was worth it.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

I picked one up yesterday. Waited in line for 2 hours in georgia out in the middle of nowhere. Not too many people. I checked ebay right when I got home. Some it looked like went for $1000.00, and some $10-15,000 but I am not sure those were real. I weighed the pros and cons of selling on ebay, as I spent a total of $640. But me being a gadget freak decided to open it. It is a GREAT product. So easy to use, looks awesome, so many cool features.

Cons:
PRICE!!!
The stupid headphone jack. It doesnt accept standard headphones without a special adaptor. I think that is dumb.

So, because I could have made $400.00 by selling it on ebay, and the overall price of $600 + tax for this thing, I am now depressed.

I may return it with a 10% restocking fee. Overall came out a looser, but had fun with it for a day or two.

mo!
Old 06-30-2007, 02:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there such a shortage that ebay is needed? http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/ Oh and if you are switching to ATT from some other carrier for the iphone, don't short yourself. Sign up for a regular contract first get FREE or discounted phone for your new 2 years.

All the stores in my state are green.

B
Old 07-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Sage Icon

There's plenty iPhone's in NH - I went and got a couple on Saturday. There was hardly anybody else in the store (all of them buying iPhones, though).

Then on Sunday, I went to Bets Buy to buy a car charger and happened to pull it from my pocket. You wouldn't believe what happened - within 15 seconds I was surrounded by sales associates - literally asking if they could hold it, touch it.

In January, when I tuned in to listen to Steve Jobs, I dropped everything and got glued to the screen when he pulled the iPhone out of his pocket. I was on a high all day, don't know why, really.

Don't laugh now: The only analogy that comes to my mind, right now, is the feeling I had when the Berlin wall came down. I was not behind that wall, you know, and it was different when my son was born, much deeper. But I will never forget that day.

Well, it's just a phone, rather the first true handheld computer. At work, I'm surrounded by blackberrys, and despite that I'm a true gadget man, I couldn't care less about those.

Ultimately, I think, this is about beauty and elegance, it just warms up our cold world a little bit.

Last edited by flavius; 07-03-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

It absolutely is the best phone I have ever had. Reception, well, that's dependent on your area. AT&T has decent coverage here compared to T-Mobile who I switched from.

I used to carry a pda separately. I gave up on that about 2 years ago and have always debated getting the Treo but I have read too many bad reviews of it I never could pull the trigger. I've been holding off and holding off in getting a new phone ever since I saw the demo's of the iphone. I told myself I was going to wait until at least 1 month after release to squash some of the initial bugs. I didn't, and I do not regret it one bit.

Edge speed is slow, but everyone knew that. I have a wired/wireless network at home so if I did want to browse something on it here it isn't an issue.

Here is the thing about Apple. I am guessing it is this way on desktops also, but definitely with this phone. It is just damn slick. It all just works, and it works well. It has eye candy and it is extremely functional. It may have been thought of and details worked out by techies, but it was designed by a designer, and there is a big difference in those two.

So far I can't say anything bad about it, only why didn't they do things like this sooner. I would encourage anyone thinking about it, or on the verge to do it.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
Don't laugh now: The only analogy that comes to my mind, right now, is the feeling I had when the Berlin wall came down.
Oh boy...

Dirk
Old 07-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Don't laugh now: The only analogy that comes to my mind, right now, is the feeling I had when the Berlin wall came down.
Sorry, I couldn't help a little chuckle...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 07-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Sage Icon

I grew up in Europe in the sixties and served at the NATO HQ as an officer when both sides where loaded with mini nukes (and bigger ones), ready to annihilate each other...

I was overjoyed when the wall came down, and scared. Since I knew there were about 400,000 Russian troops in East Germany with too much time on their hands.

This time, I'm not scared.

Since this is a thread about the iPhone. I'm an engineer who works in the field. It's quite easy for me to put myself in the shoes of those people who created this incredible piece of technology, but this is not only about technology, it is just as much about art, in this case the art of industrial design which is not a lesser one by any means, not even even a recent one. We can see it on display in our museums, going back at least 2,500 years, probably more when artists started creating true masterpieces of art (as we see them) - things meant to be used in everyday life that survived to this day, because of their .. what exactly? Quality? Craftmanship? The impact they had and continue to have on people?

I look at the iPhone as a piece of art. I look at Steve Jobs as one of the greats in industrial design.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
this incredible piece of technology
I can't really see what's so incredible, I'm afraid. I don't have one (I'm not US-based), and I can see it looks nice, and I'm sure they've done a good job with the software but...it has fewer features and less expandability than most of the smartphones/PDAs on the market, despite being more expensive. I really can't see the appeal.

Then again, I've been stunned to see the growth of the iPod, which gained huge market share at the expense of better players already in the market. Apple certainly do marketing and hype well! I guess given the market share of the iPod, the iPhone was always going to take off. But given the lack of features, it won't be going in my pocket.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 07-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Curious whats inside?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPhciMud0MM
Old 07-07-2007, 05:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Restart your Mac SageTV Server from afar

http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/

Applescript
Old 07-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Sage Icon

I saw that. And lots of other stuff.

I am using the instant messenger from beejive (alpha).
Old 07-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Will it blend?

Watch and see

http://www.willitblend.com/videos.as...e&video=iphone

Old 07-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Sage Icon

too much time any $$$ on their hands. wish i could throw that kinda cash around on a whim.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I saw that. And lots of other stuff.

I am using the instant messenger from beejive (alpha).
try im from http://tybyim.com

B
Old 07-21-2007, 05:48 AM
Sage Icon

I been a gadget freak since I bought a RadioShack TRS-80 with my first income tax refund check. But I just don't get the "fancy" phone craze.

I just need something I can make an receive calls with some lite texting on the side