SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sagewebserver and Iphone??

Hey guys,
I can get the sagewebsever to show up on the browser using the iphone, but I cant get video files to play. Anyone have iphone and can figure this out? That would be ultimate!!!!!

Thanks
Mo
Old 07-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Sage Icon

The iphone is not 3G. EDGE is pretty slow for doing what you are trying to do. Try a blackjack - it has 3G and has full wmv support.

thx
mike
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Nah,
I had windows mobile for two years. It is by far the worse operating system. Random crashes, freezes, always had to reboot the phone. (had the verizon pocket pc, then the t-mobile mda). I am almost completely done with microsoft and their cheap OS altogether.

I will stick with iphone, and hopefully someone can figure out how to stream to it with using 3g and maybe transcode to a lower bitrate.

THanks anyway
Mo
Old 07-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
Nah,
I had windows mobile for two years. It is by far the worse operating system. Random crashes, freezes, always had to reboot the phone.
I don't know what you installed on it, but I've had WM5 for quite a while now and it doesn't crash, freeze or reboot. Works like a dream for me.

I would think that comparing iPhone and a WM phone is senseless: iPhone is a phone and music player, WM phone is a phone, music player and anything else you want to install on it...I'm sure iPhone is a great piece of kit, but it's pretty limited in scope.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Sage Icon

You'll not get the faster services on that iPhone, edge is all it works with. Now if you want to use a Wi-Fi connection with it, and can get something to transcode it into a format playable with an Ipod (I think there are conversions for ipod in the compression stuff built into Sage), it should work. Once I read that it was locked into AT&T/Edge, I figured out that the iPhone was pretty much useless for my needs, and just got a new 8830 Blackberry. EVDO beats the pants off the Edge network, only thing I'd like to have from the iPhone is the improved web-browser (but at the slow speeds the AT&T network run it at, why bother??)

Quote:
Nah,
I had windows mobile for two years. It is by far the worse operating system. Random crashes, freezes, always had to reboot the phone. (had the verizon pocket pc, then the t-mobile mda). I am almost completely done with microsoft and their cheap OS altogether.

I will stick with iphone, and hopefully someone can figure out how to stream to it with using 3g and maybe transcode to a lower bitrate.

THanks anyway
Mo
Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

I done think I can switch back after experiencing iPhone, butmaybe I m just a apple fan boy. I like the way I can go anywhere in the world and use this phone. Plus the screen is beautiful especially when watching movies.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I like the way I can go anywhere in the world and use this phone. Plus the screen is beautiful especially when watching movies.
I would think most phones are usable all over the world now, aren't they? Certainly I've never been anywhere in the last five years where I couldn't use my phone (except out at sea!). The screen does look good, but I would break out the laptop for movies anyway...can't be doing with those tiny screens...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Old 07-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you think you are going to want to watch something on your iphone, why don't you just plug it into your pc and transfer it over. It has 4 gigs of hdd space right?

I understand the reason you want to stream video but, at least you'll be able to edit out commercials before transferring it to your phone. In addition, streaming video draws much more battery power resulting in a shorter viewing time.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

I want to be able to stream recorded tv shows to my iphone that I can watch when not at home or on travel. Also I want to be able to delete and schedule recordings remotely too.

If for some reason they get slingbox to work on iphone, that may be my answer

Mo
Old 07-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
I would think most phones are usable all over the world now, aren't they? Certainly I've never been anywhere in the last five years where I couldn't use my phone (except out at sea!).
Most phones from Verizon or Sprint will not work in Europe or Japan because they are based on CDMA for voice and 1x or EVDO for data. Whereas AT&T (which is the only Us carrier for iPhone) uses GSM for voice and EDGE for data which works in more parts of the world including most of Europe.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

So I think the question is, how do you get the webserver to stream to quicktime instead of vlc. At least on my iphone that is where it stops.

b
Old 07-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

That is exactly the question I would like answered. I can view photos great through webserver!
Got those videos rolling! And get me a hd extender!!!

Mo!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Most phones from Verizon or Sprint will not work in Europe or Japan because they are based on CDMA for voice and 1x or EVDO for data.
Right. Being from the civilised world, my phone works everywhere, even the US...
Old 07-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Also I want to be able to delete and schedule recordings remotely too.
I assume you already have this working via the webserver? Works from my phone, although screen size makes it a bit clunky.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
I assume you already have this working via the webserver? Works from my phone, although screen size makes it a bit clunky.
The screen zoom feature on the iPhone and the auto adjust on the rotate or the screen makes it easier to deal with. Plus the scrolling is very cool.

B
Old 09-11-2007, 07:58 PM

Edge

there has got to be plans to upgrade the EDGE network.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Don't feel bad, I've never gotten the webserver to stream anything, even to my powerbook WITH VLC installed.

It would be possible on my WM6 pocket PC, but the webserver interface is too hard to resize for mobile devices and it takes forever to even get to a recording that way.

Also, I'd blame the phone over Windows Mobile. Ran WM5 for a year with only a few bugs, and WM6 for a while now without one crash.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I want to be able to stream recorded tv shows to my iphone that I can watch when not at home or on travel.
I do not think that this is possible, at least not with the software installed on the iphone.

Webserver uses VLC for live-transcoding/streaming. But, VLC cannot create streaming mov or mp4 files (the file format does not support streaming)

An alternative is to use Sage's convert feature (now accessible from the webserver) to create a Razr (3gp) or Ipod (mp4) format video on the server, and then download that to the phone, and play locally.

Note that my experiments with windows quicktime suggest that these files must be downloaded to the local disk before being played: neither file format can be streamed -- either because the player does not support streaming these file formats, or the files created by Sage do not work when being streamed...

If anyone can figure out why, or work out an ffmpeg command line that creates streamable .mp4 or 3gp files this would be easier...
Old 09-19-2007, 04:49 AM
SageTVaholic

If the YouTube can play h.264 streamed, I would think it should be possible. Apple has a good site on playing video on the iphone.

B
Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 AM
SageTVaholic

The webserver can now generate video podcasts for Ipod format/mp4-converted files.

Note that it is impossible for the transcoder to create .mp4 files on-the-fly for streaming, you have to first schedule a conversion and wait for it to complete...

Quicktime 7.2 seems to be able to play streamed Sage-converted .mp4 files if you right-click the filename and copy the link (it seems to be incapable of loading the streaming playlists), so it may be possible for the IPhone to stream them directly.

Last edited by nielm; 10-09-2007 at 01:31 AM.