SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage and WMD files

I subscribe to a service for my wife so she can watch her shows from the Philippines. They come in with a WMD extension and require a viewing license. They play in windows media player fine. Is there a way to play them in Sage? Sage does not even see the files. The license is on my Sage server and I was hoping if Sage could play them she could watch them with an MVP in our room.

Thanks..
Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Sage User

Shhhhhhhh

There are no WMD's

On the more serious side......
Change the extension to .wmv and try it
Old 07-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah I know there aren't any WMD's but I'm still looking

Anyway, I had already tried the rename thing and it won't play. Says the format is wrong using Media Player. I am guessing it has to do with the license. It's not like I am wanting to broadcast them all over the neighborhood. Just to another room.. Would be nice to have it work since it is too far to drive to watch the shows in the Philippines.. Maybe 12,000 miles....

DRM sucks!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Sage User

seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions

you will find this in your sage.properties file
shut sage down and add the .wmd extension to the list, restart sage and try it then
Old 07-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had done that before but upon checking it again .wmd was not in the properties file. I added it again, it stuck this time. Must have brainfarted the shutting down Sage part. Anyway, now Sage sees them but won't play. Gives the old "Playback Exception" error. Like it is looking for a decoder that is not there.

At least I can see the files now. Now if I could just work out the minor little detail of actually being able to watch them I'd be in there..

See ya, Thanks..
Old 07-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDtyF350
...and require a viewing license.
Sounds like they are protected by DRM. Sage can't play them.

Scott
Old 07-14-2007, 01:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
Sounds like they are protected by DRM. Sage can't play them.

Scott
Yep, sure are. DRM blows.. I don't want to sell them, just watch in another room. I would normally not have anything to do with DRM'ed files but I would like the wife to be able to see her shows..
Old 07-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Administrator

I doubt that an MVP is going to be able to play any type of DRM limited files. And, the server can't stream DRM files to a client on another PC. You _might_ be able to play them on a client PC, if that PC is able to play them in the first place and you set the import dir to be a network path so that the client can read & play the file directly w/o having to stream through the server.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, It works sort of.. I have to take the fifth as to how it can do it, but it does. I really think it is ridiculous that I have to pretend to be an undercover computer hacker so my wife doesn't have to sit in the dungeon (basement) where the server is to watch her shows. The ones that I have a real live subscription to.

By the way, did I mention that DRM Blows? Well, it does...

Thanks everyone..
Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM

SprDtyF350... just started Sage and found this post about WMD files. Wife also loves to watch TFC shows but it is in WMD file format. I would really like to know how you able to stream it to your extender? Thanks.