SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Sage Icon

MVP Server Enabled message in System Information?

Does Sage V4 display a message that the MVP server is in fact enabled in the "System Information" listing?

Is there an issue with using the MVP server key I just purchased with the old Sage 4?

I'm troubleshooting why, after entering the MVP license key to Sage V4, and rebooting that PC, and rebooting the MVP, that the MVP says it cannot find a streaming server. (DHCP is working OK). That PC runs Sage 4 just fine; there are no firewalls or anti-virus to block ports. Sage.properties says the MVP server = true. If I try to reenter the MVP server key, I get an error - already entered, so it knows about the license.

That same MVP is able to discover a PC with Sage 6 using the same network connection.

Last edited by stevech; 07-13-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Wasn't 6 the version that added MVP support?
Old 07-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Wasn't 6 the version that added MVP support?
No, it was 4.1 that did that.

I assume that the OP is using >= 4.1.....right?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
That was a long time ago
Old 07-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post

I assume that the OP is using >= 4.1.....right?
Yes, 4.1.3.67. Java 1.4. It has a menu choice to enable MVP. And a start menu item to enter the license key. But that PC does not respond to the MVP's search for servers. My trial version of v6 does respond, running on a different PC. As stated above, firewalls and the like are not the culprit.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
Is there an issue with using the MVP server key I just purchased with the old Sage 4?
BTW: while a SageTV Media Center server license purchased now (v6) cannot be used for an older version of SageTV, I'm told that the Media Extender/Placeshifter licenses are still the same as before & should work with v4.1 too. Also, I think a new MVP should still be able to work with an older server that has built-in MVP support, as v4.1 does.

- Andy 12,000
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Sage Icon

I doubt this a license problem. Try upgrading to v5.04 if you don't want to pay the upgrade fee for v6. MVP support improves with each newer version.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

Sage 4.1 seems confused about licenses. After I entered the MVP license key, it began this new thing: when I exit Sage 4.1 (in application, not server mode), a pop-up says (paraphrasing)

Your trial period for MVP extender has expired. You have (1) valid license.

and so on. If I then attempt to reenter the MVP license key, it says "duplicate or invalid".

In the end, Sage 4.1 goes undiscovered by the MVP as it searched the LAN. That same MVP can discover Sage 6's MVP server on a different PC if I enable it. The MVP license I have came with an MVP purchased this month, if that matters, versus the old 4.1.

I have a 6.x upgrade license I purchased during the beta, but it may be that it cannot be used to upgrade from 4.1 to 6.x, by policy.
----
Related, after installing the MVP license and choosing to ENABLE it, my Sage Client stopped working with that 4.1 server. I ran the REGISTER command with the client, but it still says "Cannot connect to server". That client had worked for a year. <sigh>

Last edited by stevech; 07-15-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Sage 4.1 seems confused about licenses. After I entered the MVP license key, it began this new thing: when I exit Sage 4.1 (in application, not server mode), a pop-up says (paraphrasing)

and so on. If I then attempt to reenter the MVP license key, it says "duplicate or invalid".
I think this has been discussed before, but that warning is just poorly worded. All it means is the 15 trial period for MVP is over, BUT you have one registered license to continue using it.
Quote:
In the end, Sage 4.1 goes undiscovered by the MVP as it searched the LAN. That same MVP can discover Sage 6's MVP server on a different PC if I enable it. The MVP license I have came with an MVP purchased this month, if that matters, versus the old 4.1.

I have a 6.x upgrade license I purchased during the beta, but it may be that it cannot be used to upgrade from 4.1 to 6.x, by policy.
I suggested upgrading to version 5.04 instead. I'm pretty sure the 4.x license works with 5.04.
Quote:
Related, after installing the MVP license and choosing to ENABLE it, my Sage Client stopped working with that 4.1 server. I ran the REGISTER command with the client, but it still says "Cannot connect to server". That client had worked for a year. <sigh>
Are you running both servers on the same network, I'm not sure thats a good idea as it confuse the MVP or the two servers might conflict with each other.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
I think this has been discussed before, but that warning is just poorly worded. All it means is the 15 trial period for MVP is over, BUT you have one registered license to continue using it.
I suggested upgrading to version 5.04 instead. I'm pretty sure the 4.x license works with 5.04.

Are you running both servers on the same network, I'm not sure thats a good idea as it confuse the MVP or the two servers might conflict with each other.
re first paragraph-- This pop-up warning happens each time I exit Sage (app mode). This can't be correct, can it?

re 2nd para: I disabled the 2nd server to simplify things for the MVP. I left the MVP powered off all night. It cannot discover the 4.1 server, as I reported. It's not a LAN thing - no firewalls, MVP is in the same switch, I can VNC to the PC with 4.1, etc. That the Sage Client stopped working as well.

The 4.1 system is used daily with a high WAF. I don't want to risk breaking it. You know how this house of cards can fall - 5.x requires newer Java and now 4.1 can no longer work and 5.x has an unacceptable issue, yadda yadda. Guess a drive image is the solution.

My only recourse is to purchase a 2nd Sage License to get the replacement system for the 4.1 working. <sigh/grr>

Last edited by stevech; 07-15-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
5.x requires newer Java
no it doesnt, although everything works better with Java 1.6

And what is to stop you using youe existing server licence on the new server during the transition phase... It's against the terms of the licence agreement, but not against the spirit...
Old 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
no it doesnt, although everything works better with Java 1.6

And what is to stop you using youe existing server licence on the new server during the transition phase... It's against the terms of the licence agreement, but not against the spirit...
I assumed that the server goes on the internet and detects that I'm trying to use the license twice. I would not hesitate to use a dupe for a brief time of debugging, but my ethics would not let me do so for my own benefit in a cheating manner.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:

SageTV (and the service) should be closed before extender licenses are registered. If you didn't close SageTV first, do so, then unregister & reregister the license.

Quote:
The upgrade licenses are specifically meant to be used with a v4.1 or earlier license, since those are the versions that require an uprade key for the SageTV server in order to use v6.

Quote:
After enabling the extender server in v4.1, you had to manually disable & then re-enable the SageTV server option right above it (or else shut down & restart SageTV).

At this point, the only thing I can suggest is to make sure the SageTV server & extender server options are enabled, shut down all SageTV apps, unregister/reregister any extender licenses, then restart just the SageTV server you want to use and then start the clients to be used.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
SageTV (and the service) should be closed before extender licenses are registered. If you didn't close SageTV first, do so, then unregister & reregister the license.
This I did not know. I thought it was only necessary to restart the server.
Does this also apply to Client licenses after a REGISTER?

Last edited by stevech; 07-15-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
This I did not know. I thought it was only necessary to restart the server.
A note recommedning stopping SageTV in order to register an extender or placehisfter license was added to the manual for versions after v4.1, so if you only checked the v4.1 instructions, you wouldn't have seen it.

Quote:
Does this also apply to Client licenses after a REGISTER?
Depends...

No: SageTV Client PC licenses are registered on a separate PC where that client will be used & is done when you start SageTV Client... hmmm, so I suppose in a sense you are exiting & restarting to do the client registration anyway. Client licensing doesn't affect the license on the server & the server can continue running the whole time, except for the case below.

Yes: if the SageTV Client license had previously been used on a different PC, it connected to the same server, and it is now being moved to a new PC, the server it connects to will need to be restarted so that it will accept that license connection from the new PC.

- Andy
Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Sage Icon

thanks. would be useful if these license management things were in the FAQs. I don't believe they are. And prominent in the early installation portions of user manual.