SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Sage Icon

why multiple transcoders with one MVP?

I am getting a second instance of SageTVTranscoder.exe showing up in my task manager taking up cpu cycles but I only have one MVP, sometimes I even get a 3rd instance...

Any ideas why?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Do you have it periodically scanning the import dirs? It might do that or create a thumbnail for a video; not sure what else it might do from time to time.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Sage Icon

Do you auto compress favorites?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Sage Icon

I do not use Sage's internal compression.

I did not think it was related to scanning import directories as the proccess stays there taking up cpu cycles until I kill it.

Although I think I've found the culprit(s).

I asked my kids to walk me through how they get around using the MVP.
When they are done watching something they hit either the Program Guide button or the Video Imports button and I think that the Video file is not getting closed. I've tested it a few times using this method and it gets me multiple transcoder.exe instances. Hitting STOP before starting another video stops this from happening.

But shouldn't the video file close once another video is started? If so, then why is the transcoder process not killed automatically? And if the file is no longer playing then why does it actually use CPU cycles?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Sage Icon

^ This could explain some problems I have been seeing with the latest official release..
Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
Although I think I've found the culprit(s).

I asked my kids to walk me through how they get around using the MVP.
When they are done watching something they hit either the Program Guide button or the Video Imports button and I think that the Video file is not getting closed. I've tested it a few times using this method and it gets me multiple transcoder.exe instances. Hitting STOP before starting another video stops this from happening.
Did you ever report this to SageTV? If you haven't, then at this point, I would just wait to try it in the next beta. If it still has the same issue, then send in a bug report.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Sage Icon

I haven't seen it since I educated the kids to press the stop button to get back to the program guide...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Administrator

I forgot this topic wasn't referring to the current beta anyway, or at least I don't think it was. But, I see from another post that you've installed the beta. This issue might not happen any more, but if it does and since you know what to look for to reproduce it, please check it out in the next beta, since the current beta might be nearing the end of its testing.

- Andy
Old 08-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Sage Icon

I was wrong,

The kids were not causing the multiple transcoders using the MVP.

They are being caused by just displaying certain mkv files on the sage server itself.
If I browse to a certain folder in my Imported videos folder it starts a copy of the transcoder that will not go away on it's own.
I imagine that it's trying to do thumbnails and can not?

How would I stop this from happening?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Sage Icon

Never mind.

I turned off thumbnail generation and the transcoder no longer starts when browsing the imported videos folder.

This has also had a good side effect... The menus are much more responsive now...
Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
How would I stop this from happening?
Were you trying the current beta (v6.2.5) when this happened again? If so, then file another bug report...

- Andy
Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Sage Icon

Yes I am on the current beta (6.2.5).

But I have since tried other MKV files I have and it didn't happen. This leads me to believe that the mkv files in question are the culprit. Some of these .mkv's have given me other problems as well. For instance I can not rewind or fast foward them on the MVP. If I do, I get audio with a freezed video frame. I can not start one unless it's from the beginning on the MVP as well. I have to set it as watched so it will start at the beginning. Some of them also give 0:00:00 as duration in the timeline while playing on the Sage server itself. Although I think this was solved in the first Beta release.

I will do some more troubleshoting on these files and then contact Sage with a Bug Report and see if they want me to upload one of them to check out for themselves...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
I have had this problem on some of my mkv files as well when sage is trying to produce a thumbnail for it. sagetranscoder just hangs and will not end unless I do it manually.

When the first version of the new beta came I thought I would try and let sage recreate the thumbnails for some of my mkv files since they were messed up(grey) with earlier versions. So I deleted the files in the thumbnails folder. But with the 6.2.4 beta sagetranscoder would just hang and would not create a thumbnail. If I get some time I will try to send in a bug report with log files.

Miller