SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Sage User

Need R5000-HD SageTV Configuration Help

I need your configuration advice for a three R5000-HD, SageTV, Dish Vip622 and Vip211 receivers within a client/server wired gigabit network.

QUESTION: Is it best to locate all three R5000-HD Receivers and client PCs in the various rooms where the televisions are located? I want to record and view the same and/or different HD and SD programs simultaneously in different rooms of the house. I will store all TV programs, backed up DVDs, photos, music, etc on the server.

QUESTION: Is it ok to use AMD CPUs for the client PCs. I already have this hardware but the Nextcom website FAQ indicates a possible problem regarding establishing a reliable USB connection when using AMD chip. If this is still a problem I will buy new Intel based hardware for the clients

I am new at HTPCs and networking so please give me any suggestions that will minimize potential problems and maximize performance. (I plan to build all PCs since I have done this before.)

DISH NETWORK HD SATELLITE RECEIVERS:
-Two Vip622 attached to client PCs (One for Theater and one for Bedroom. Will use Vip hard disk only for an occasional local recording not intended for network storage.)
-One Vip211 attached to server in office.

CLIENT PCs (Theater and Bedroom)
-View and Network record the same program simultaneously
-Upload/download recorded program from client to server (not simultaneously and not while otherwise using client to view/record locally
-Vip622, R500-HD
-Abit AMD AM2 nvidia 570 motherboards, models KN9 Ultra and KN9 SLI. I already have these motherboards and would like to use them IF THERE ARE NO UNRESOLVED R5000 PROBLEMS with AMD
-AMD 4800+ Athlon 64XP2 Brisbane CPU
-2 GB Memory
-100 GB HDD 5200rpm
-MSI 8600GTX HDCP video card
-Windows XP Pro SP2
-Latest SageTV client software that comes with R5000-HD
-Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra Deluxe ver 7.3

CLIENT REMOTE CONTROL for (non-geek users, one remote for all equip)
-??? Need suggestions

SERVER (for office)
-Vip211 R5000-HD for recording satellite
-Will use server to store all recorded programs, ripped DVDs, music, etc.)
-ASUSP5WDG2 WS Pro motherboard, North: Intel 975X, South: Intel ICH7R, PCI-X Bridge: Intel 6702 PXH
-Intel E6750: 2.66GHz, FSB 1333, 4MB L2
-HighPoint RocketRaid PCI-X card for raid-5, up to 16 drives
-750GB Sata II hard drives (at least six to start)
-MSI 8600GTX HDCP video card
-Windows XP Pro SP2
-Latest SageTV server software
-Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra Deluxe ver 7.3

OTA ANTENNA AND NETWORK TUNER
-Winegard StraightShooter outside antenna
-HDHomeRun network attached tuner

TELEVISIONS/MONITORS (All HDCP)
-JVC RS1 front projector
-Samsung 1080P and 720P DLP rear projectors
-Viewsonic VG2030wm monitor (not sure if HDCP)

Last edited by Vinylvision; 07-29-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Sage Icon

I would locate ALL the R5000 STBs at the server, not 1 in each client room.

In order to run the R5000 in the client room, you'd need to install SageTV server as network encoder on the client PCs, you can't use SageTVclient if you are gonna run a R5000 through it.

As for remotes, you have options, MCE remote/receiver works ok, firefly remote/receiver , or the best way would probably be the USB-UIRT IR receiver with just about any IR remote you want.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
I would locate ALL the R5000 STBs at the server, not 1 in each client room.

In order to run the R5000 in the client room, you'd need to install SageTV server as network encoder on the client PCs, you can't use SageTVclient if you are gonna run a R5000 through it.

As for remotes, you have options, MCE remote/receiver works ok, firefly remote/receiver , or the best way would probably be the USB-UIRT IR receiver with just about any IR remote you want.
Jack is absolutely right. Keep all the STB's and tuners in one room next to the server. Connect all the clients with ethernet. You don't need anything else.

Thanks,
mike
Old 08-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Sage User

I am Confused

I think I used Sagetv "CLIENT" and 'SERVER" terminology out of ignorance. I don't mind paying extra in order to be able to have maximum flexibility at the local and media server levels. By using the Vip622s locally, I hope to be able to record to EITHER that 622s hard disk OR the the local Nextcom network encoder hard disk. All R5000-HD local recordings would subsequently be uploaded to the media storage server. The source of my confusion appears to be that Nextcom supplies certain SageTV software unique to the R5000-HD.

PLEASE EXPLAIN: what Nextcom means when they state the following on their website under their SageTV info. FROM NEXTCOM WEBSITE:
"The R5000-HD now incorporates built-in support for SageTV. The DVR application acts as a "network encoder" with an integrated server allowing SageTV to seamlessly integrate with the R5000-HD hardware. There are no external IR blasters, other devices or software required. The SageTV server is configured from a new "SageTV" Options menu item."

ALSO PLEASE EXPLAIN: what Nextcom means when they state the following at http://www.nextcomwireless.com/r5000...ial%20versions

"Download Description:
- r5000ver25f.exe Full package. Self-installing applications, drivers and utilities for Windows XP/2K.
- r5000hd-ver25f.zip, r5000utils-ver11.zip r5000hd.exe, version 2.5f, application only, Disk2Tape and TSCutter utilities only
- readme.txt Important installation and usage instructions.
Please Read First!
- release notes(DVR) release notes (PVR) Update and revision history

SPECIAL VERSIONS (Additional fees apply). Download the desired version. After purchasing, please e-mail the serial numbers of all owned* R5000-HD devices to technical support so the appropriate key(s) can then be issued.

Special Version Download Description:
- r5000ver25f(SageTV).exe SageTV support. Full install package.
- r5000ver25f(Multi).exe Multi-instance support (also supports SageTV). Full package.
- r5000hd-ver25f(SageTV).zip SageTV support. DVR application only.
- r5000hd-ver25f(multi).zip Multi-instance support (also supports SageTV).. DVR application only.

NOTE: The full install packages are required for first time installs. Existing users can upgrade to SageTV or multi-instance support simply by substituting the new DVR (r5000hd.exe) application. There are no updated drivers required."

From the above excerpts, it appears that there are special SageTV versions for use with R5000-HD some of which need to be purchased from Nextcom. Who supports these special SageTV versions (Nextcom or Sage or both). Any explanations/guidance you can give me will be appresicated. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

You need the special SageTV version of the Nextcom software if you want to use it with SageTV. There's a $50 surcharge (payable to Nextcom) for that version. The software you download from Nextcom (including the special SageTV version) is supported by Nextcom. The SageTV software that you download from the SageTV website is supported by SageTV.

As mentioned on the Nextcom site, the SageTV version of the Nextcom software makes the R5000 appear as a network encoder to SageTV. Think of a network encoder as a capture card with an Ethernet interface (similar to the HDHomeRun). All it does is capture the digital stream off the cable/satellite/whatever and pump it out the Ethernet port. It does not record it locally. Recording is managed by the central SageTV server. You can configure SageTV to use multiple recording directories on network file servers, but by default recordings are stored on the SageTV server's own file system. Unless you have some special need to store recordings elsewhere, I suggest leaving them on the SageTV server.

If I understand you right, you hope to be able to use the R5000-modified STBs both as Sage capture devices and as regular STBs for traditional non-DVR TV watching. I don't think this is going to work. The R5000 boxes really should be dedicated exclusively to Sage so it can have free rein to schedule recordings as it sees fit. You wouldn't want to be manually changing channels on a box while Sage is trying to record from it.

If you want to keep using the recording features of the Dish DVR box as a backup in case SageTV fails, don't get that box modified by Nextcom. If you need Sage to be able to record three simultaneous programs, my advice would be to get a third 211 (you can probably find one cheap on Ebay) and get that modified instead of the 622.