SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Sage Expert

Key mappings lost between updates?

I remap quite a few keys for commonality between different media players. Sage is VERY different from the others, so the changes are extensive.
I have to redo these every time I update.
Where are these stored and can they be saved between updates?

Thanks.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 08-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Sage Icon

They're in one of the properties files and can be saved (copy/paste to a text file). I forget the property name as I use MCE codes now, but ir_remote rings a bell. I've noticed that some of the MCE codes aren't recognized sometimes, after an upgrade...toggling to a different/no remote and back to the MCE remote seems to fix it.

P
Old 08-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk21770 View Post
I remap quite a few keys for commonality between different media players. Sage is VERY different from the others, so the changes are extensive.
I have to redo these every time I update.
Where are these stored and can they be saved between updates?
How are you installing your updates? And, what keys are you talking about -- keyboard, or something else?

As mentioned above, the key assignments are in the properties files & they should not be getting reset if you simply install on top of the previous version instead of uninstalling/deleting any files. So, if you are just installing over the old version, it might be good to know what key assignments are getting lost.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Sage Expert

After reading these, I went back and double checked a file that I thought that I had already checked and found that it wasn't the key mappings, it was the remote ini file. I restored my version and all is well.

(Sorry about the delay in replying -- vacation!).

DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 08-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Sage Icon

If you have your remote.ini set up the way you want, then when you install the next Sage update, uncheck the box that says you need Hauppauge remote support. That way Sage will not re-write your remote.ini file. Your remote will still work.

That is the way I do it on my system. I also have a couple backup copies of remote.ini to fall back on if I forget.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks. I thought that there may be more to supporting the Hauppauge remote than adding the lines to the remote.ini file so I left it checked. I'll uncheck it in the future!

Synology NAS 22TB
Old 08-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Sage Icon

AFAIK, it just adds in the lines. But I may be mistaken in that my irremote.ini is set up to send SendMsgs to Sage, not keystrokes. It may be slightly different if running with keystrokes.

It can't hurt to try.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

If the box was checked during the previous install, I believe it will clear out the SageTV section in the ini the first time you leave it unchecked. After that, you can leave it unchecked w/o having it modify the ini file at all.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Sage Icon

That may be the case. I just rememberd that my ini file is customized for me and stripped down to remove unneeded kludge. I don't even run a SageTV section, all the SageTV stuff is in the [default] section so there is no [SageTv] section for Sage to remove.

It sounds like if you uncheck it the first time and let Sage modify the ini file, then restore a backup ini file, then you may be able to leave it unchecked from now on. Or as a workaround, I wonder if the ini file could be set to read-only to keep Sage from altering the SageTV sections.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
It sounds like if you uncheck it the first time and let Sage modify the ini file, then restore a backup ini file, then you may be able to leave it unchecked from now on.
This is what I do -- I left it unchecked once & then uncheck it for each update. I keep a backup of irremote.ini just in case I forget & leave the install option checked.

- Andy